Ares Games

Thread: Fairly new player in Tucson

Default Fairly new player in Tucson

Hi All,

Fairly new to the game / series - I'd bought 3 of the packs several years ago, but then got preoccupied with buying sets for Memoir44 and forgot all about WoW / WoG until recently. I'm in the process of going back and getting all the sets that I don't have. On the one hand, would love to get some of the plane minis and play that way, but on the other hand, I've got storage space concerns and $$ concerns - and the card versions seem to work just as well.

If anyone lives in / around Tucson and would like to get together sometime for a battle or two, I'm still learning the rules, but willing to give it a shot - I can only fight myself for so long. Although I did have a rather spectacular riddling of a German plane by two Sopwiths the other day. Swung around and got him square in both their sights at close range, fired, 6 pts of damage, rudder destroyed where he couldn't turn left, and then he went plummeting out of the sky on the last shot with a direct hit. His buddy's next maneuvers were to turn tail and head off the gameboard...

Hi and welcome from Alberta. At 200 + minis I understand storage prob. But minis in my opinion are the only way to go.

I might try that - it'd be a bit boring if I couldn't get multiple copies of planes, but I suppose I could at least get 1 or 2 Allied and 1 or 2 Axis, and then just use different maneuver and damage decks per the plane cards in the boxes if it came down to it. Just have to figure out where to put them...plus, I still want to get the rest of the original card games.

Welcome to the game, David, from CT!

Great game..., better community.

Storage is certainly a concern, but not so much until you get a ridiculous number of kites (I resemble this comment)...

Seriously, though, grab some of the ACE storage trays from Keith at the Aerodrome Store (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/), stop by a local Target for a storage tub, and you can easily store 30-40+ kites in a space a less than 2 foot square (12" x 12" x 18").

I started off with cards, and you're absolutely correct: the game works fantastically well without miniatures. I was perfectly happy, right up until Nexus released Series 1 miniatures (SPAD S.XIII, Albatros D.Va, Sopwith Camel, and Fokker Dr.I)! From that point on, it was miniatures or not at all!

Regardless, enjoy!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Aerodrome David from across The Pond. Glad you have decided to take playing the game up again and anything you would like to know please feel free to ask. This is a very welcoming and well informed global community

Thanks guys - I might try the minis eventually, though I have a bit of an addiction to buying collectibles, so that might not be the best idea...but, the first step to overcoming your problem is admitting you have one, right? (though I'm not sure buying minis is a 'problem' ).

So - can anyone tell me if I'm missing any sets from the card game series? I pieced this list together via Amazon and eBay:

Famous Aces
    Watch Your Back
    Burning Drachens
    Flight of the Giants
    Dawn of War
    Fire from the sky
    Recon Patrol
    Top Fighters
    Immelmann
    Hit and Run
    Crossfire
    The Last Biplanes
    Dogfight
    Eagles of the Reich
    Flying Legend
    Revolution in the sky

I don't have the list split into WWI and WWII - but yes, I'm aware I can't combine WWI with WWII (or at least, the RULES say I can't... ). Just wondering if there are any sets I Don't have on the list so I know what to go searching for as funds to feed my habit become available...

Welcome to the 'drome, David.

I'm a bit far away, but perhaps Surprise, AZ isn't too far? Dave [clipper1801] is there, and he has a storage problem, too. But, I'm sure he wouldn't mind showing you how to play with the minis. Perhaps you could try Midway? Complete with 1/200 scale aircraft carriers from both sides of the battle.

Google maps says your 2.5 hours apart. Perhaps not that close, after all.

Skype games! If you have maneuver decks, I have minis! You're in, if you want!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-31-2015 at 18:57.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

welcome to the drome david!!!!! honestly i dont know if id have gotten into the game if not for the minis but yes storage and wanting more does get to be an issue at least the minis are fairly cheap compared to some came components

Welcome to the Aerodrome, David.

You can never have too many planes

Thumbs up

G'day David & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    Mate playing the game with the minis enhances the gave over the card version 300%+

Just take a look at some of the After Action Reports down in the WW1 section to see what I mean.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably try to get at least a starter pack or two of the minis.

Did anybody get a chance to see if the list of components I put up above looks complete? Just trying to figure out if there are more to add to the list of "what I need to search for".

Welcome to the 'Drome, David, from Middlesex in the U.K.

That list you put up looks complete to me (apart from a dozen or so Series of minis, plus specials!)

Also there are a few Deluxe sets, combining rules, counters and minis; WW1 Deluxe set and Revised Deluxe set; WW2 Starter set and Deluxe Starter set, and the 2 WW1 Duel packs.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, David, from over here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

I think that your list of card sets is complete. When Ares took over the game they adopted a 'Models Policy', so the newer planes and their manoeuvre decks are only available as minis. It is easier to play with the altitude rules if you use a model.

Hi David - welcome to the 'drome from here in the UK

Hello and welcome!
    I love minis, so it was amazing I held out this long to get into the game. Money and space are my difficulties, too.
    I don't have as many minis as other games, but I will slowly build my forces to an over abundant level. It's inevitable.
    I was too easily hooked with that duel set...
    This is a great community! Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZTiger98 View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'll probably try to get at least a starter pack or two of the minis.

Did anybody get a chance to see if the list of components I put up above looks complete? Just trying to figure out if there are more to add to the list of "what I need to search for".
    David,
    The list is pretty complete, with the only thing(s) missing being the Balloon Buster set(s). There were two boxed sets, with brown or yellow balloon models, and a rocket-equipped Nieuport 16 in two different color schemes. So, you need both boxes to get the two different colored balloons and planes. They were selling for $50-70 when first available. Very hard to find now, except from after-market, or someone selling off a collection.

Compare your list to these links for completeness:

General Overview of Released Minis - WWI

General Overview of Released Minis - WWII
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-31-2015 at 18:57.
    Mike

Greetings David, from the land of Surprise! When you get into Phoenix some time you need to check out Imperial Outpost Games on Thunderbird Ave. They have a good supply of minis and mats. Your town once had a great WOG group, many came up to play over the years, not so much news from there lately. It might help to put a note in the local game shops down there, you might catch a player or someone who wants to sell their stuff. I found a couple dozen WWII minis and box sets that way here. And if you get blown into the area, PM for a possible get together . . . Cheers! Dave

Thanks for the welcomes and the help, guys. Dave, I'll do that - and if you ever find yourself in Tucson, give me a holler. I will see what I can do to find either the balloon buster packs or at minimum the cards, because I would at least like to have every maneuver deck released. In the meantime, if anyone hears of anyone offloading their stuff who has the R deck and corresponding planes to sell, please let me know. I'll still start trying to get some of the minis as best I can (worst case, I'll play with my Memoir '44 Air Pack minis (though that's a fairly limited set and is all WW2)...

Quote Originally Posted by AZTiger98 View Post
    ... In the meantime, if anyone hears of anyone offloading their stuff who has the R deck and corresponding planes to sell, please let me know. ...
    David,
    That "R" deck is only in that "Balloon Buster" set I mentioned above. Unless, someone is selling parts out of the box, as you mention...
    Mike

Yep, that's what I mean. May only be in balloon busters, but still would be nice to have it.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you found your way to the Forum, David! It's a great place to investigate and interact - I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun here...

All the best,
    Matt

On behalf of the Squadrons based here over the pond welcome to the Drome David.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Robin
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the game David. I am sure you will have a lot of fun.A lot of the Chaps have a great deal of knowledge that they are willing to share. even scratch building,should the old finance rear it's ugly head.Best of luck from over the pond. "Don't forget to keep looking over your Shoulder" or you will go down in flames & ruin that lovely paint job. Regards. Robin

LOOP

Welcome to WoG-heaven David

Here you find good friends, good advice, great inspiration and loads of fun stuff.

/P-G

Similar Missions

1. Arizona Greetings from Tucson
    By AzRedShoe in forum US Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 04:00
  2. Bloody April 5th Tucson, AZ
    By CappyTom in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 01:53
  3. Arizona Knights of the Skies Tourney -- Tucson, AZ
    By KiltedWolf in forum US Wing