Ares Games

Thread: What next for OTT

Default What next for OTT

A thought for you all to muse on.

This might be a tad premature, but given we only have another 6 missions to play in the "Early Years" campaign I wondered if there would be any interest in a follow up campaign based on a "What if " situation. That being that the war did not end in Nov 1918 but carried on for another year or so.

This would offer players the opportunity to use some of the later planes (Snipe DR VII, Nieuports etc and perhaps some modified older planes) to their full potential and a little bit of poetic licence in the creation of new scenarios.

Open to suggestions and comments, and of course players old and new.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Interesting... maybe this would include the opening of additional fronts, perhaps the Polish-Soviet War (1919-1921)?

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Interesting... maybe this would include the opening of additional fronts, perhaps the Polish-Soviet War (1919-1921)?
    Why not. The What if gives you a carte blanche for Fronts, opponents etc. Imaging some USA designed & built planes on the Front for example.

Smile

There was some discussion a while back with flash to revisit the very early war period 15/16 as there are more aircraft for that period around now thanks to Shapeways etc.

Premature but not as premature as that discussion !
    We have time, gentlemen, to have a crack at all these ideas !
    My feelings are to play shorter more intense campaigns, playing something different each time - change being as good as a rest and all that. For instance we could play an 8 week period of 1916, an 8 week period of extended WW1, another or subsequent 8 week period in 1916,or something altogether different again.
    I shall add this idea to the ever growing list !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Premature but not as premature as that discussion !
    We have time, gentlemen, to have a crack at all these ideas !
    My feelings are to play shorter more intense campaigns, playing something different each time - change being as good as a rest and all that. For instance we could play an 8 week period of 1916, an 8 week period of extended WW1, another or subsequent 8 week period in 1916,or something altogether different again.
    I shall add this idea to the ever growing list !
    Its good to see that people are still iterested in continuing the campaign. Keep the suggestions coming .
    Last edited by flash; 08-30-2015 at 00:47. Reason: added ]

Go back to '15 and play the lot right through until 1939!
    See you on the Dark Side......

For those of a technical mind - maybe this is next for you ... http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...mp-Android-app

"He is wise who watches"

I like this idea... I've always wanted to play a campaign similar to that which you'd get from the board game Bloody April. Something short in duration, but intense. Perhaps an adaptive campaign that would evolve as participants flew their missions... I've a couple of ideas on how that might work...

Thumbs up

For those of a technical mind - maybe this is next for you ... http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...mp-Android-app
    For an old Technophobe like me who does NOT even have a smartphone, Ipad or Laptop it is out of reach!

Not to worry as I have flashes superb D8 charts that work a treat.

Thumbs up

I am up for anything that keeps the Solo campaigns going.

Thats the spirit Baz. What would the Winter be without OTT.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I am up for anything that keeps the Solo campaigns going.
    +1

Game for anything as long a the solo campaign keeps going.
    See you on the Dark Side......

The Chinese Civil wars had a lot of chaps from all over the world who could not settle to civilian life flying anything and everything left over from WWI: Guys trying to start airlines using DH4s and 9s re-gunning them as there was more money in it, Fokker DVIIs ostensibly imported for fast mail runs suddenly sprouting Maxims, Farman shorthorns in flying schools with Chauchats and rocket racks (the rockets were more reliable being chinese) being pressed into service.
    Really you could fly virtually anything your warlord can afford.
    A points system for available cash based on success in the campaign perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    The Chinese Civil wars had a lot of chaps from all over the world who could not settle to civilian life flying anything and everything left over from WWI: Guys trying to start airlines using DH4s and 9s re-gunning them as there was more money in it, Fokker DVIIs ostensibly imported for fast mail runs suddenly sprouting Maxims, Farman shorthorns in flying schools with Chauchats and rocket racks (the rockets were more reliable being chinese) being pressed into service.
    Really you could fly virtually anything your warlord can afford.
    A points system for available cash based on success in the campaign perhaps?
    Go for it John , The sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I like this idea... I've always wanted to play a campaign similar to that which you'd get from the board game Bloody April. Something short in duration, but intense. Perhaps an adaptive campaign that would evolve as participants flew their missions... I've a couple of ideas on how that might work...
    I played around with a campaign a while back that used Bloody April as the map level of the game, and WOG to resolve combat. I've been considering starting that again. It was fun, but took a while.

Is there any interest from those who didn't participate in the original OTT campaign to continue on with our early years pilots right on through all of those missions?