Ares Games

Thread: If you start reporting in advance of action, is at a BAR? Dawn Patrol 29 AUG

Default If you start reporting in advance of action, is at a BAR? Dawn Patrol 29 AUG

Preparing for a visit from Son and Brother to resume hostilities:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawn Patrol 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	174340
    More appropriate for WGS, perhaps, but squares off the table nicely. Doesn't look much like scenery however.

Name:	Dawn Patrol 3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	174341
    Better. My brother is bringing a 4x6 aerial photograph dry mounted to use as our game board. Can't wait to see it.

Name:	Dawn Patrol 4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	174342
    Let's start unloading the game bits

Name:	Dawn Patrol 5.jpg 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	174343
    Add In the UK and US

Name:	Dawn Patrol 6.jpg 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	174344
    ...and the Central Powers
    Now we wait for the morning.....

More and yet more. Looking lol a heavy session with both sides ready for the off. Can't wait cor more pics and action.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Excellent build-up!

Looking forward to the clash.

Is that a Mrk1 tank I saw hiding behind the Allied planes Bob? A bit of strafing perhaps?

Keep us posted .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

0817 hrs: Combatants enroute. Will post again when field of battle fully ready.

The first mission pitted the DR1's against three dissimilar allied craft in a head on engagement over the trenches - a Sop Tripe, a Camel, and a Hanriot:
    Attachment 174375
    The DR1's began an echelon to the left in hopes of keeping their opponents to their right, maintaining their turning advantage. NOTE - Luftsreitkrafte were manned by human pilots, the allies by the excellent Diceless Solo Decks. The Allies forged ahead.
    Attachment 174376
    The Brits came at it fairly head-on, covering each other; the Italian swinging wide and coming back at them from the flank
    Attachment 174377
    Manfred and Willi turned straight into the oncoming Brits, who obliged them by doing the same; Bruno swung wide to try to get on their tail, covering them from the Italian. In this engagement, the red Triplane was riddled by enemy fire.
    Attachment 174378
    Manfred decided at this point to disengage rather than push his luck, Willi and Bruno taking on the allies and trying to concentrate on the Sopwith triplane to even the odds

Name:	Dawn Patrol 12.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	174379
    A swirling turning fight developed, and Bruno was able to score hit after hit on the Sop Tripe, taking him within 1 point of going down, so he made for friendly lines at top speed. Its higher top speed meant that the DR1;s were not going to be able to reel him in and Bruno was denied his first kill. The Camel remained unpredictable, disengaging and reengaging, while the Hanriot took sporadic fire from the Triplanes, often managing to fly between them and frustrate their tactics.

Name:	Dawn Patrol 16.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	174380
    By this time Manfred had escaped to friendly lines as well
    Again Bruno was able to avoid getting hit while peppering the Hanriot while Willi came back around. The Camel had seemingly lost his appetite for the fight and exited the field with scoring any hits.
    Another pass and the Italian was reduced to a single hit point when Willi swooped in and delivered the coup de grace, claiming the kill.

Name:	Dawn Patrol 19.jpg 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	174381
    The opposition have crashed or escaped, the two flyers returned to based for a glass of celebratory Champagne.

Name:	Dawn Patrol 20.jpg 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	174382
    With two of three triplanes shot up, the next mission would have t go to a different set of pilots.....

The Second Mission pitted a pair of DVs on a balloon hunt behind enemy lines. Two SPAD XIIIs were waiting....

Name:	DSCN2149.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	174383
    The two pair raced toward each other, The Albatros pilots coordinating which way they would encircle the balloons, while the SPADs came straight on

Name:	Dawn PAtrol 22.jpg 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	174384
    Neither side got a shot off as the Albatros concentrated on the left hand balloon and the SPADs hurtled by to circle back to attempt a tail shot.

Name:	Dawn PAtrol 23.jpg 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	174385
    The DVs began to circle the balloon, peppering it with MG fire, while the SPADs circled and Immelman'd to stay in the fight and get some shots off at their opponents.

Name:	Dawn Patrol 24.jpg 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	174386
    The SPADs speed was a drawback in the enforced close quarters around the balloon, and they struggled to get good shots and stay clear of the enemy fighters and the balloons. The DV pilots remaind disciplined and focused their attention on the balloons pass after pass, even when they could have chosen a SPAD in their sights. As they one SPAD and one DV found themselves heading away to maneuver for another pass, a dogfight developed that saw one SPAD go down just as the second DV was able to put down one of the balloons. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawn PAtrol 25.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	174387
    Realizing that they were low on fuel and far from home, the two Albatros pilots chose to disengage and head for home.

These two fights kept us busy from 10:00 until 3:30 with only a short lunch break between missions. Not enough time!
    My brother's Aerial photo map board made for a great playing surface, giving a 4 x 6 maneuver area. We must schedule the next engagement!

We also found it amusing that, true to their motion picture-based personas, our two DR1 pilots Willi and Bruno saw Bruno engage and riddle two opponents only to have one escape, and one be finished by his rival. What does somebody have to do to get a Kill ? Bring it down over the airfield?!

Great battle! Love the tanks and terrain maps.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    We also found it amusing that, true to their motion picture-based personas, our two DR1 pilots Willi and Bruno saw Bruno engage and riddle two opponents only to have one escape, and one be finished by his rival. What does somebody have to do to get a Kill ? Bring it down over the airfield?!
    unconfirmed by armee means unconfirmed!

Great AAR Bob .Keep them coming.

Great AAR Bob .Keep them coming.

Love the board you are fighting over. Did I see a trench network?

The trenches were an overlay done on old transparency material, so we can reconfigure at need. Need to make more.....
    Although it didn't show in the photos, you might notice an aerial view of Neuschwanstein in the corner, prepared the same way. My Luftstreittkrafte pilots have only the finest accommodations!
    After the battle following summation was issued to the pilots:

Looks like Collishaw’s plane will be out for a week (one mission) and it will take 2 weeks to get Manfred and Willi’s triplanes flying again. May have to switch planes to keep them in the action, even if it is an "out of date Pfalz"!

Name:	Pflaz.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	174398
    Congratulations to Jasta 5 with Baumer’s balloon and Von Hippel’s SPAD!

Name:	Hippel1_crop.jpg 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	174399
    Of course, Von Klugerman got his HD-1 Kill, so let the 1903 flow.

Name:	Willi und bruno.jpg 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	174400

Bruno is sulking and promising the next one will be CONFIRMED!
    Fucini survived his crash but will take two weeks to recover. Other pilots will have to step up…..
    Rickenbacker got his crate to the ground and only suffered bruises for his trouble, so he will be back up in a fresh mount in no time.

Name:	rickenbacker.jpg 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	174401
    No report on the balloon observer. No parachutes were seen….

Name:	balloon down.jpg 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	174402

My Brother did a terrific job hosting this get together. I was very lucky diving in for the kills that easily could have been his. I am gratified for so many compliments about the game board and the scratch MK IVs that we both put together. As they say, a little spit, chewing gum and bailing wire (this is before color printers and glue sticks). Bob and I are just getting started. Even my wife is impressed by the international flavor of the gaming (although not the details - boy stuff!!). It is wonderful how the planet has shrunk via technology such that so many new friends can be made over simple common interests. Here is a toast to all the chivalrous warriors of the air!

Name:	General Von Klugermann.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	174577 Brother, Herr General salutes you!

Thumbs up

Great action chaps & I loved the 1903 Champers & the Blue Max photos .

Good AAR I liked the games!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I agree about reports prior to action becoming or being BARs ... What a great way to start this new idea off. The AAR is fantastic as well - glad you had an action packed time.

Your gaming mats by the way are spectacular and I also liked the bottle of 1903 champagne which appears: Not on the table as a target I gather

By the time I returned from the Front, everything wort saying had already been said Bob, so please allow me to just add my approbation to a fine display by yourself and your team in all aspects of the presentation of this series of actions.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The mat looks fantastic. I take it the NML section is on perspex sheet?
    See you on the Dark Side......

We did a couple of things on clear plastic material - trench lines and buildings. Easily reconfigured for different scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    The mat looks fantastic.
    +1!

Sorry, couldn't help myself, with all this talk of BARs.....

Name:	three_nazis_walk_into_a_bar.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	174802

Similar Missions

1. 1 on 1 Dawn Patrol
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 22:19
  2. N. England & Scotland AAR 2: Dawn Patrol
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing