Ares Games

Thread: Dive bombing without using altitude rules

Default Dive bombing without using altitude rules

Our gaming time is usually limited to about 2 hours so we do not use altitude rules as I find that extends the game too much. Probably going to get a few recommendations here for a dumb question medal but is there any way to use the Dive Bombers without the altitude rules

Lightbulb

G'day Gary!
    You could use a method we have used at our games club.
    If you have a GW Scatter dice you roll to see if the bomb hits or scatters provided the Dive Bomber passes over the Target.
    If no scatter dice you can use a D6 & if a 5 or 6 is rolled then the Bomb hits.
    Hope that helps.

Smile

Gary

Most of the games i run, altitude is not used. Remember the altitude rules are optional. Fly over you target and drop the bomb! Here is an example two Stukas going after a radar site!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8240004.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Gary

Most of the games i run, altitude is not used. Remember the altitude rules are optional. Fly over you target and drop the bomb! Here is an example two Stukas going after a radar site!

Rich
    shouldnt divebombing have some positive effect on bombing accuracy though? otherwise what benefit is there for going the whole divebomber vs level bomber route.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    shouldnt divebombing have some positive effect on bombing accuracy though? otherwise what benefit is there for going the whole divebomber vs level bomber route.
    Hi Phillip, I agree that Dive bombers especially Stukas were supposed to be the ultimate aerial artillery. Looking at Barry's idea perhaps that could covered by a higher probability in rolling the dice. For example 4-6 on a dice roll equals total destruction, 1-3 equals 50% damage ? I am not trying to detract anything from the well written altitude rules, I just would rather not use them for a faster game.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ...but is there any way to use the Dive Bombers without the altitude rules
    That's an interesting question and clearly house ruling the solution is the way to go.
    I would suggest that you approach the target and on the appropriate card near it play a stall card to represent the Stuka rolling into the dive.
    The next two to three cards I would suggest should be used for the dive bombing - Now as the Stuka can dive very steeply so you can either decide it doesn't move at all, or, you could play two to three short cards (ignoring they are consecutive steeps) to give it a little overground movement dropping the bombs on the second or third card with say one short card to impact.
    I would then play a climb card to show the Stuka has pulled out of its dive and if you are of a mind you could say the crew are pulling so much G they cannot fire their weapons on that movement !
    To attack the Stuka in the 'dive' element or after the bomb drop then I would suggest that any attacking plane will have to play a dive card to show it has dropped to that level to make the attack.
    It's probably more complex than that but this might give you a starting point to play around with.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I like the above idea Dave - I am reading this thread not through time constraints but how to play and avoid snapping altitude pegs. Begun practicing dive bombing recently and one of the first things I remember thinking about was altitude peg snaps ... Which distracted me from being able to concentrate on the manoeuver itself.

I'll make a note of the steps you advise and have a surrounding fighter handy or being played by an opponent ready to attack. Will hopefully be able to keep track of everything and everyone's height and carry this out successfully

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    ... how to play and avoid snapping altitude pegs....
    Fit gimbal mounts Barney ! Failing that just take it off the mount and stand it on its nose on the base to signify the dive. This is what we did when I was playing a slightly bigger scale game with another rule set, the name of which escapes me now. Anyway, it needs play testing so have at it and let us know the pros and cons.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That's an interesting question and clearly house ruling the solution is the way to go.
    I would suggest that you approach the target and on the appropriate card near it play a stall card to represent the Stuka rolling into the dive.
    The next two to three cards I would suggest should be used for the dive bombing - Now as the Stuka can dive very steeply so you can either decide it doesn't move at all, or, you could play two to three short cards (ignoring they are consecutive steeps) to give it a little overground movement dropping the bombs on the second or third card with say one short card to impact.
    I would then play a climb card to show the Stuka has pulled out of its dive and if you are of a mind you could say the crew are pulling so much G they cannot fire their weapons on that movement !
    To attack the Stuka in the 'dive' element or after the bomb drop then I would suggest that any attacking plane will have to play a dive card to show it has dropped to that level to make the attack.
    It's probably more complex than that but this might give you a starting point to play around with.
    Sorry but I think it would be just as easy to use altitude rules

Similar Missions

1. Another dive bombing question
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-26-2014, 01:40
  2. When does dive bombing start?
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 08:56
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 22:17
  4. Do you use altitude rules for bombing?
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 02:38
  5. Dive Bombing Diagram
    By John B in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 03:53