Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential new player in Denver

Cessna

Default Potential new player in Denver

I'm new here. Very new. So new I haven't even bought the game yet...

But I've been wargaming for a long time, and I've always loved aviation. Even though I have a Pvt. license, they won't let me mount a Lewis on a C-172, so I'll do this instead...

Any hints or suggestions for a new player?

Hi and welcome from Alberta. I would jump in and buy everything you can while you can still get it . The Aerodrome Store is a great place to start.

Cessna

While I can still get it? That sounds ominous. Is the game going out of print?

I was thinking of buying the "Rookie Box." Is that a good start?

And - what sort of bases/stands would you recommend?

Thumbs up

G'day Scott & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

No dont fret the game is NOT going out of print. Its just the older releases that are getting hard to get.

The Rookie Pack is the perfect way to start.
    With the minis you get stands, flight pegs, manoeuvre decks etc.
    Do check out the Aerodrome Store here on the Forum as it is run by Keith (Oberst Hajj) who runs the whole site.
    He has great stocks of planes available plus other goodies you might want to consider after you play a few games.
    Do you have some mates you can play against? There are also Solo Rules, Charts & Templates to allow you to play without an actual opponent.
    Don't be backward in asking any questions you might have as this site is full of really great friendly & helpful folk!

Scott, welcome to the 'drome.

If you live in Colorado, you are almost next door to the Aerodrome Accessories place of business. Well, next door compared to me, anyway.

All the Wings of Glory (WoG) stuff is backwards compatible with Wings of War (WoW). Oh. Within the periods, WoG WWI (WGF) with WoW WWI (WWF), and WoG (WGS) WWII with WoW WWII (WWS). I have a lot of WWF stuff, and gathering more WGF minis as they come out. WGS is a bit of an issue, as I am attempting to stay in the Battle of Britain campaign, so only WGS planes that were used in WWII around 1940 England. It keeps the storage and expense issue from becoming a problem.

But, whatever you choose, get into the game. It is a blast! It even comes with Boom Cards (chits for WWII).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Dive in!
    You won't regret it.

Welcome from previously sunny Orrygun (almost next door)

Quote Originally Posted by Cessna View Post
    I'm new here. Very new. So new I haven't even bought the game yet...

But I've been wargaming for a long time, and I've always loved aviation. Even though I have a Pvt. license, they won't let me mount a Lewis on a C-172, so I'll do this instead...

Any hints or suggestions for a new player?
    welcome to the drome scott!!!!! in this day and age its probably a good thing. you could always paint one on the fuselage.................

Welcome to the 'Drome, Scott, from Middlesex in the U.K.

As posted above, get your gear from Aerodrome Accessories; Keith is a great guy to deal with.
    Also, check aftermarket sources (such as ebay) for out-of-print stuff, but watch a few before you buy; some folks are asking outrageous prices, others are more realistic.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 09-01-2015 at 13:59.

Welcome Scott, from Bristol uk.
    Any questions give a shout, pleenty of knowlege here so someone will give you an answer, see you down the mess

Bienvenue from Brittany Scott. If you are a solo player there are a variety of solo rules and apps to help you get the best out of WGS and WGF. Otherwise check your region on the site for fellow aviators who are close , or relatively close to you.

There is also a group of us that play by Skype , http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-players-forum

Me (France), Old Guy59 (BC) , Nightbomber (Poland),Skafloc (UK) when we can. Check out some of our posting sif you get a chance.
    Anyway there is something for everyone here at the Drome. See you at the Mess.
    Paul
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 08-29-2015 at 02:21.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hi Scott, welcome to the Drome. The Rookie box is certainly a good start. From there only madness ensues. Once you start you can't stop.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Hi Scott - welcome to the 'drome from here in the UK

Welcome to the Drome Scott. Definitely dive in. A great start can be gotten here at the Aerodrome store, the 'Rookie' set, rules and 4 planes for $49.99, a great deal to start with. Then when you realize you are addicted, let go, get everything you can and enjoy the ride!

Hi Scott, welcome to the 'Drome from CT!

As you've seen, this is a place where good advice is rarely, if ever, in short supply. Keith at the Aerodrome Store: Aerodrome Accessories has a great selection at more-than-fair price for products both official (aircraft, rules, etc.) and unofficial (tokens and markers, storage, additional flight stands, etc.). Keith will not steer you wrong.

If we're talking WWI...

The current series of aircraft (which means they're easy to find and in quantity) include the Hannover CL.IIIa (rugged German two-seater), Fokker E.V/D.VIII (end-of-war German parasol scout), Nieuport N.28 (decent French scout forced on the Americans until SPADs became available), and the Macchi M.5 seaplane (flown by both sides).

As has been mentioned by others, the "Rookie Pack" http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...okie-pack.html. All the rules and tokens you need, plus four comparable late-war aircraft (Albatros D.Va, Fokker Dr.I, Sopwith Camel, and SPAD S.XIII) and all the bits you need to fly them. On a smaller scale are the Duel Packs, but these two-aircraft packs are a little tougher to find. These include two aircraft and stands, a basic set of rules, and a single damage deck. It's a great intro if you're just getting your toes wet, but personally, I would suggest the "Rookie Pack" as it gives you more and at a better price.

Once you've fallen into the pool, there are a number of other aircraft series that are still available. Reprints of Series 2 (Fokker D.VII, Sopwith Snipe, de Havilland DH.4, and Roland C.II) are still available, as are some of the Series 1 reprints (same types as in the "Rookie Pack"). It gets tricky after that, as even the series released with the last few years are becoming a little scarce.

There are a number of threads and files for download on site which describe all of the official releases, as well as unofficial releases and the third parties vendors where they may be available (Shapeways, Valom, Reviresco, etc.).

Goering Ace (Scott) and Flash (Dave) have put together an excellent explanation of the relative strengths and weaknesses of all officially-released aircraft to date. It's an outstanding reference, and one I would recommend without reservation: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...265#post364265

Regardless of what you decide to do, and where you decide to focus your interests, have a great time! We're always here to help.

Chris

Cessna

What an overwhelmingly positive response, thank you all!

I'll order that boxed set on Monday, and probably pick up a Gotha from the local hobby shop on a lunch hour. Even if a Gotha isn't all that practical, it's such a cool model I have to have it.

It looks like our forum Admin is running a game at a nearby Con on Labor Day. I don't know if I'll be able to make it (work commitments) but it would be nice to get an intro game in.

I must admit that the idea of pre-painted miniatures seems to be so easy that it almost feels like cheating. It will be a lot easier to get folks from my group playing with this. As it is, I'm more used to having to commit to a project, then spending months building and painting before I get a game in.

That said, I'm no stranger to WWI wargaming. This is from a recent game I hosted; if only the 28mm figures worked with 1/144 scale...

Last edited by Cessna; 08-29-2015 at 09:08.

I'll order that boxed set on Monday, and probably pick up a Gotha from the local hobby shop on a lunch hour. Even if a Gotha isn't all that practical, it's such a cool model I have to have it.
    Totally agree. The Gotha is a beautiful mini. Buy 2.

And, if I might make a suggestion... a couple of two-seaters (1 of each faction to start is plenty) dramatically increases scenario options. Photo-reconnaissance, artillery cooperation, trench harassment, bombing... all of these are on the table once you've got a two-seater or three. Some of the better ones still readily available are the DH.4 for the Entente (and you might find the odd RE.8 if you're just looking for a target) and either the Halberstadt CL.II or Hannover CL.IIIa for the Germans.

What an overwhelmingly positive response, thank you all!

It looks like our forum Admin is running a game at a nearby Con on Labor Day. I don't know if I'll be able to make it (work commitments) but it would be nice to get an intro game in.

I must admit that the idea of pre-painted miniatures seems to be so easy that it almost feels like cheating. It will be a lot easier to get folks from my group playing with this. As it is, I'm more used to having to commit to a project, then spending months building and painting before I get a game in.

That said, I'm no stranger to WWI wargaming. This is from a recent game I hosted; if only the 28mm figures worked with 1/144 scale...

Lovely set piece there Scott You are going o love WG.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Totally agree. The Gotha is a beautiful mini. Buy 2.

And, if I might make a suggestion... a couple of two-seaters (1 of each faction to start is plenty) dramatically increases scenario options. Photo-reconnaissance, artillery cooperation, trench harassment, bombing... all of these are on the table once you've got a two-seater or three. Some of the better ones still readily available are the DH.4 for the Entente (and you might find the odd RE.8 if you're just looking for a target) and either the Halberstadt CL.II or Hannover CL.IIIa for the Germans.
    Totally agree Peter. 2 seaters can be great fun, (and deadly)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Aerodrome Scott from across The Pond ... Guns attached to C172 aircraft is something they would let me try out here too but the same restrictions apply!

Or FAR Part 91.155 - It is forbidden to drop any object from a civil aircraft ... Bombing is also forbidden too But you will love this game and also enjoy many happy hours on the Aerodrome as part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Totally agree Peter. 2 seaters can be great fun, (and deadly)
    [emphasis added]

I am truly honored, Paul.

Although, yes, I've been burdened with the weight of being dashingly handsome , this may be the first time I've been mistaken for my esteemed wingman, Teaticket.

I could do much worse.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Scott, from over here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

While I can still get it? That sounds ominous. Is the game going out of print?

I was thinking of buying the "Rookie Box." Is that a good start?

And - what sort of bases/stands would you recommend?
    Didn't mean to scare you the game is alive and well .

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    [emphasis added]

I am truly honored, Paul.

Although, yes, I've been burdened with the weight of being dashingly handsome , this may be the first time I've been mistaken for my esteemed wingman, Teaticket.

I could do much worse.
    Since you are burdened with those dashingly handsome looks, I doubt you would be confused for me! Must be some other Peter that Paul is talking about.

A Gotha bomber can be a lot of fun. Also as said above, a couple of 2 seaters would be a very useful addition.

Nice WWII mini game. I do mine in 15mm with BattlefrontWW2 rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Since you are burdened with those dashingly handsome looks, I doubt you would be confused for me! Must be some other Peter that Paul is talking about.

That would explain why I keep getting his mail...

Cessna

Nice WWII mini game. I do mine in 15mm with BattlefrontWW2 rules.
    They're actually WWI. No trenches, though, in this case think "Hundred Days"/1918.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you found the Forum, Scott - looks like you've received some good advice on where to begin. Like many have said, once you start down the road, there's no turning back!

All the best,
    Matt

They're actually WWI. No trenches, though, in this case think "Hundred Days"/1918.
    Ah yes, looking at them again i see their kit is WWI. Very nice. What rules do you use?

Ah yes, looking at them again i see their kit is WWI. Very nice. What rules do you use?

Cessna

For this particular game I used Bolt Action with a few house rules to accommodate WWI. This was an introductory game, intended to get folks who had already played WWII Blt Action interested in a new era.

That said, I'm a fan of Through the Mud and Blood.

Cessna

I went ahead and ordered the "Rookie Box."

I can tell this is going to be dangerous, as I'm already eyeing my next planes...

I can tell this is going to be dangerous, as I'm already eyeing my next planes...
    The slippery slope will steepen quickly!

Good man!

Cessna

While hunting around for stuff online, I stumbled across this.

Lozenge camouflage pillow.

This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

And, following a trip to a local hobby store at lunch I'm the owner of a Gotha G.V and a Hannover CL.IIIa. Apparently I like purple.
    Last edited by Cessna; 08-31-2015 at 14:22.

And, following a trip to a local hobby store at lunch I'm the owner of a Gotha GV and a Hannover CIII. Apparently I like purple.

That. Is. AWESOME!

And, following a trip to a local hobby store at lunch I'm the owner of a Gotha G.V and a Hannover CL.IIIa. Apparently I like purple.
    Good selection. The Hannover is a beast.

Hello and welcome!
    I started with the 2 plane box set and I really liked the introduction.
    This is a very fun game.

A friend of mine from BC stayed with us over the weekend.
    He was very impressed with my collection and is interested in giving it a try ...
    I sent him the link to the Aerdrome Rookie Pack.
    http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...okie-pack.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    A friend of mine from BC stayed with us over the weekend.
    He was very impressed with my collection and is interested in giving it a try ...
    I sent him the link to the Aerdrome Rookie Pack.
    http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...okie-pack.html
    Where in BC, Pete? Is he going to BottosCon, in Surrey, in November? Not much on this thread (Link: BottosCon 2015), yet. But mid-September, my schedule of Wings of Glory games, scenarios, and the Dogfight Challenge will be up.

Oopps! Hi-jack. Sorry.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hello Scott and welcome to the Aerodrome from just down the road in Colorado Springs. Your Rookie pack is shipping out today and I put a couple little extras in there for you being that you are from Colorado and just starting out.

I will not be running any games at the Denver area conventions this year... I'll be deployed for some testing until mid-October. But, we should try getting a CO game together sometime this fall. There are several of you guys up in the Denver area, but not real group that I know of.

Fly safe and enjoy the game!

Keith

Sweet! They also have a tie and some cool mugs.

Welcome to the Drome from the British Squadrons Scott.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome from Wyoming! It would be something to have a meetup for all of the front range group. A mini-con of sorts.

Cessna

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Hello Scott and welcome to the Aerodrome from just down the road in Colorado Springs. Your Rookie pack is shipping out today and I put a couple little extras in there for you being that you are from Colorado and just starting out.
    Thanks very much! That's very kind of you.

I will not be running any games at the Denver area conventions this year... I'll be deployed for some testing until mid-October. But, we should try getting a CO game together sometime this fall. There are several of you guys up in the Denver area, but not real group that I know of.
    I've been hearing rumors that the upcoming (Labor Day) con isn't doing to well. I'm not sure if I'll attend or not.

But I'd certainly be up for a game! I'm hoping to run a demo for a couple of friends soon, and I'm pretty sure I can get my son playing as well.

Oh, WANT that pillow!

And the mugs!!!!

but how to get 'em in the U.K.?

Thanks very much! That's very kind of you.

I've been hearing rumors that the upcoming (Labor Day) con isn't doing to well. I'm not sure if I'll attend or not.

But I'd certainly be up for a game! I'm hoping to run a demo for a couple of friends soon, and I'm pretty sure I can get my son playing as well.

How old is your son? My 12 year old step daughter likes to play as well. Another guy here in the Springs has a 16 year old daughter that plays also.

Thumbs up

Sweet! They also have a tie and some cool mugs.
    Very neat Keith!
    I like the Stein as well.
    Do you know if they have any British gear?

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps one of us in the States could get them for you, Tim, and ship 'em to Blighty?! No idea how much that would run - I would think zazzle would ship overseas...

I've been eyeing these on zazzle for a while and am tempted to order a couple...

All the best,
    Matt

Cessna

How old is your son? My 12 year old step daughter likes to play as well. Another guy here in the Springs has a 16 year old daughter that plays also.
    He's 9, but he's a sharp kid. He manages to hold his own in chess and has played a couple of other wargames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Colorado: Recent Denver transplant reporting for duty!
    By Schmarbs523 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 16:58
  2. Potential CAC Wirraway Conversion
    By Baldrick62 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 15:03
  3. Potential member.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 08:14
  4. Need eyes on the ground in the Denver CO. area!
    By pflanzer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 19:28