Ares Games

Thread: (American) Fantasy Football?

Default (American) Fantasy Football?

Anyone out there play (American) Fantasy Football? I've never played before and am either looking to join a league or maybe start one for us Wings and Sails players. Anyone interested?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Wings versus Sails would be a good start to this idea. Used to do Fantasy Football League the British way when I served in the Forces and we used to have loads of fun!

Only problem is I'd better learn how to play American Football ... Any suggestions - board game most preferable as I am a better visual learner than I am a book learner

Sorry, I don't know any football board games. As a kid I loved playing the one that had the metal table that vibrated to move the players around the field...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elefootball.JPG  

Smile

My only experience in Fantasy Football was watching some Games Workshop's Blood Bowl games.

Sorry, no.
    Now if you were talking Hockey Pool I'd be right there ...

The only Fantasy Football I'd be interested in would involve these players...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LFL.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	174339

I did play in a BloodBowl league many years ago.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I've done a couple of Fantasy Baseball Leagues...can be quite time consuming when it grips you. Football is very similar, just not the daily focus. Could be interesting. Are you thinking Collegiate or Professional?

I play fantasy football. I'd be willing to play. CBS sports, ESPN, and yahoo all offer free leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    I've done a couple of Fantasy Baseball Leagues...can be quite time consuming when it grips you. Football is very similar, just not the daily focus. Could be interesting. Are you thinking Collegiate or Professional?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    I play fantasy football. I'd be willing to play. CBS sports, ESPN, and yahoo all offer free leagues.
    I'd like to do a free NFL league on ESPN. With just the standard rules as I've never done this before. It's be nice if we could get 3 more people to make a 6 team league.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Wings versus Sails would be a good start to this idea. Used to do Fantasy Football League the British way when I served in the Forces and we used to have loads of fun!

Only problem is I'd better learn how to play American Football ... Any suggestions - board game most preferable as I am a better visual learner than I am a book learner
    Go and get 1st and Goal. Great little game and shows you the basics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZoR_UrhOuw

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'd like to do a free NFL league on ESPN. With just the standard rules as I've never done this before. It's be nice if we could get 3 more people to make a 6 team league.
    I'm in. I've just done it twice. Won one and lost one. Just email me the info.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Go and get 1st and Goal. Great little game and shows you the basics.
    I would agree with Thomas.
    As a Brit I knew nothing about American Football till I got 1st and Goal. Thoroughly enjoy playing it when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    A 6 team league will give us all Superstars!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    A 6 team league will give us all Superstars!
    Yeah, but it looks like we might just have 4 players from here. I can always open it up to non Aerodrome and Anchorage people though.

4 players is even more Superstars! Nice!

Really, noone else wants to give it a go? We can help explain football - from a fantasy perspective even. You don't even have to know the game, just how to read stats!

American Football -

11 players on offense vs 11 players on defense.
    The offense wants to move the ball their endzone (scoring area, located at one end of the 100 yard field).
    You get 4 tries to go 10 yards. If you go more 10 or more yards you reset, and get 4 more chances to go another 10, from wherever you stopped).
    If the ball is thrown and not caught, it counts as a try, and you go back to where you just tried from.
    Usually teams will "punt" on the fourth try (also called down). Punting means you kick it towards your opponent (away from their endzone).
    They then get 4 tries to go 10 yards.

Offense:
    1) 5 players on the "Line" (all next to each other over the ball), the one in the middle is called the Center.
    2) 1 player behind the center - the Quarterback. He yells hike, and the center gives him the ball.
    3) The quarterback can then 1) Run with the ball 2) Throw (or commonly called pass) the ball 3) Hand the ball to someone else.
    4) Players who run down the field (usually following a preplanned route, or patter) are called Wide Receivers. (Wide because they line up away from the Line on the edges, making the formation wide. Receivers because they catch the ball). Usually there are 2-3 of these folks.
    5) Players who are handed the ball can do the same things as the QB, they usually just run forward.(Usually 1 or 2). Sometimes they will block defenders if the QB is trying to throw the ball, or run it himself.
    6) A Tight End is someone who stays near the line (but not a part of it) and is "in tight". He can catch the ball or block. Usually just one of these.

Defense:
    Try to keep the offense from going 10 or more yards.

If you get in the endzone with the ball, you get 6 points (it's called a touchdown)
    Most teams kick the ball to obtain an "extra point". So usually it's 7 points after a touchdown. You could instead try to do a play from the 2 yard line and if you scored, you would get 2 points.
    At any time you can attempt a Field Goal instead of a regular play. That means you kick it between the goal posts (in your endzone). If you do, you get 3 points. And the opponent gets the ball.

Most teams have different players for offense & defense.
    Most teams use many subs (as there are no real limits to substitutions).

FANTASY FOOTBALL
    Each owner (us) drafts a fantasy team.
    You get points based on how your players perform each game.

Usually for every 10 yards YOUR player got (either by running, or by catching the ball (and then running) you get 1 point. 10 yards = 1 pt. Some leagues are .1 pts per 1 yard.
    Since there are 3 or 4 wide receivers and only 1 QB, most leagues reward the QB 1 point for every 20 yards (or 25) a QB throws/passes the ball (called passing yards). Again, some allow partially scoring.

So RB's & WR's & TE (running backs & wide receivers & tight ends) get 1 pt for every 10 yards they personally go with the ball. (cumulative for the game).
    QB's get 1 pt for every 10 yards they personally run, and they get 1 pt for every 20 yards they pass.

Kickers score 1 pt for each extra point, and 3 for each field goal.
    Defenses usually score pts for keeping their opponents from getting points, from causing a fumble, or from an interception (stealing a pass), or sacking the QB (tackling him before he can throw the ball or hand it off).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 08-31-2015 at 08:08.

Similar Missions

1. B-24 at Fantasy of Flight
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 10:56
  2. WGF H.M.S. Furious Fantasy Flight!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 15:58
  3. Fantasy Flights: Episode 1 - First Encounter
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5