Ares Games

Thread: The Navy's last flying aircraft carrier

Default The Navy's last flying aircraft carrier

I just saw this article about the last airship that was equipped to launch planes. It crashed off the coast of California in 1935. It was equipped to launch 4 Sparrowhawk biplanes. I kinda hope this inspires new madness from Clipper!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/24/us/las...ier/index.html

I also found this video of it recovering and launching planes. So cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoEQRl8dCs
    Last edited by diceslinger; 08-25-2015 at 07:52.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

This is fascinating - thank you very much for posting.

I had heard of the USS Macon before I saw this article / video. Interesting to see what still remains today after she came down in 1935: Especially of the aircraft which were being carried.

Photomosaics of underwater wrecks are the way forward IMHO. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (the home of Dr Robert Ballard who discovered the RMS Titanic in 1986) used one within the last two years to show what remains of the British WW2 battleship HMS Hood. I am very interested in this sort of stuff so thanks again.

Great links Shawn!

Many thanks for posting them.

That's superb Shawn - Sky Base in its earliest form !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thank you for the links, Shawn. I did know that the U.S.A. had experimented with airship launched planes but I do not think that I have see that film of it before.

I liked the comment made about the plane pilots saying it was easier to hook onto than to land on a carrier deck. I guess given that carrier decks could be heaving up and down by 60 feet that is understandable.

I have been toying with this idea for years, no minis on the horizon back then, now however . . .

Good stuff here.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Good stuff here.
    +1

There was a scenario made for the Fighting Wings game system, by Uncle Ted, that postulated the Akron to "show the Flag" in the war zone, with predictable results. A second one has the Macon discovering the Kidō Butai during the launching phase of the Pearl Harbor attack. Given that the Akron class zepps carried 3-5 Sparrowhawks (with 2 MGs and a speed of 178mph), this is another forgone conclusion. But it might make for an interesting game
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Speaking of flying aircraft carriers:

When HYDRA took over the helicarriers in _Captain America: The Winter Soldier_, did anyone ask Nick Fury how he felt about "those snakes on his planes"?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

In the past Naval Aviators have likened landing on an aircraft carrier to 'a bird landing on a postage stamp' ...

I wonder what hooking up to an airship USS Macon-style was likened to or described as? Eeny ... Meeny ... Miny ... Mo with four hooks all vying for the pilot's attention!

It would be an interesting what-if they had continued development; The SparrowHawk wasn't the best plane for the job, just the one that would fit into the hanger. If they could have built something deliberately for the Akron Class Zepps, I wonder what it would have been.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Superb stuff.
    Neil drew my attention to this when he phoned me yesterday.
    I have been a bit side tracked this week with the Water Board digging up our road to mend two leaks, and then having a new Double Glazed Front door fitted, so I missed out on this one till now.
    I believe Clipper's Elves are getting a bit restive.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2022, 01:40
  2. so how long IS an aircraft carrier
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 14:31
  3. ever hear of a WWI aircraft carrier...they found one
    By sirosis o liver in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 10:42
  4. WWI. American Carrier aircraft.