Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Phoney War at Jersey Shore

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Lightbulb AAR - Phoney War at Jersey Shore

I have not written an AAR yet but there is always a first time for everything: So here goes. This Solitaire game took place on August 24th ... 1940.

Set in Jersey and against the backdrop of Nuisance Raids in the Channel Islands. These began to occur around mid-1940 following the long period of very little activity which became known as the Phoney War. Initially these nuisance raids appeared to be aimed at shipping and then at the Channel Islands but very little damage was actually caused by them. This action features a Gloster Gladiator Mk I of the Royal Air Force as flown by Pilot Officer Prattle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11. Gloster Gladiator Mk I on the prowl.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	174062
    Royal Air Force Gloster Gladiator Mk I as detached to L'Ancresse airfield during early 1940. Pilot Officer Prattle flying this aircraft on August 24th 1940 over neighbouring Jersey in the Channel Islands.

Name:	12. Gloster Gladiator Mk I assigned to Smarties factory protection duties.jpg 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	174063
    Gloster Gladiator Mk Is were frequently assigned to protect the Jersey Shore industrialised area from enemy attack. The area at the time appeared to be the subject of several Nuisance Raids where no actual damage was caused.

Name:	13. Junkers Ju-87B2 Stuka on the prowl.jpg 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	174064
    An Axis Junkers Ju-87D2 Stuka dive bomber in flight. Nuisance Raids conducted by Stukas such as this one had been increasing in their intensity. Jersey Shore authorities by this time fearing an attack.

Name:	15. Enemy sighted ... Here We Go!.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	174065
    August 24th 1940: Pilot Officer Prattle sights a Junkers Ju-87D2 Stuka ... He recalls how it took some time to dawn on him that this aircraft was actually an Axis aircraft. In other words here comes the opposition!

Name:	16. Yeah ... Dogfight!.jpg 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	174066
    Pilot Officer Prattle takes the Gloster Gladiator Mk I in for a closer look at his opposition. He remembers the rules of engagement: Do not fire until fired upon.

Name:	17. Close range shot for both aircraft.jpg 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	174067
    But after months of Phoney War have dragged by Pilot Officer Prattle quietly hopes that something very different will be 'chalked up' today. He was to later recall having an idea that would maybe pre-empt a reaction from the Stuka crew having caused them to panic. This he carries out and with effective results: As he performs this close pass it is too close for comfort for the Stuka's tail gunner who opens fire on Prattle.

Name:	18. This is why I assigned the Gloster Gladiator Mk I to this patrol!.jpg 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	174068
    An outstandingly good feature of Pilot Officer Prattle's aircraft is its manoeuverability: He is very quickly able to bring the nose of the Gloster Gladiator Mk I to bear upon the Stuka. Prattle opens fire at his first available opportunity.

Name:	19. Junkers Ju-87B2 Stuka commences dive bombing run.jpg 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	174069
    With a river of bullets from the Stuka's tail gunner passing by Prattle returns fire. At this point the Junkers Ju-87D2 Stuka begins what appears to be an attack run on the Jersey Shore industrialised area. In the past Axis aircraft have been noted diving towards this area as if to attack but then causing no damage. However little does Prattle know that he has indeed stirred up a hornet's nest ...

Name:	20. Tabletop as Junkers Ju-87B2 Stuka commences dive bombing run.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	174070
    With the Stuka's attack run appearing to have started Prattle decides to follow and guns the throttle in order not to be outrun as the Stuka lost height.

Name:	21. Junkers Ju-87B2 Stuka fails dive bombing run.jpg 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	174071
    Both aircraft heading down straight towards the industrial complex below. Then as Prattle was later to recall something he was not expecting happened. Even though he could clearly see that the Stuka was loaded from the look of the aircraft's underside!

Name:	22. Low flying pursuit after no bombs were released.jpg 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	174072
    No ... No bombs released?! Pilot Officer Prattle recalls thinking how this was all a bit FUBAR before thinking that maybe he had misjudged the situation. Had this been a nuisance raid after all and now things were ten times worse than before: How does one turn a situation like this off?

Name:	24. Junkers Ju-87B2 by now is trailing smoke.jpg 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	174073
    The pursuit of the errant Junkers Ju-87D2 Stuka continues at low level. Having not released anything although it was seen by Prattle to be carrying ordinance the aim now becomes to prevent the Axis aircraft from coming around and attempting another attack on the industrial complex.

Name:	25. Robustness is this Gloster Gladiator Mk I's middle name.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	174074
    Pilot Officer Prattle would later recall how at this point in time his Gladiator was so full of holes that it whistled along like the Flying Scotsman. But nevertheless the robustness of his aircraft both held it together structurally as well as prevented Prattle from being injured himself. Suddenly the Stuka is seen to nose sharply upwards and over to the left at the same time: Has Prattle struck lucky?

Name:	26. Erm ... Was this Gloster Gladiator Mk I's middle name!.jpg 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	174075
    However just before Prattle thinks that he has taken this lucky shot of his the Stuka's tail gunner reels one more round off at the Gladiator. With significantly adverse results: The encounter ends with both aircraft shot down at low level and crews struggling to bail out with just about enough height to do so!

Name:	27. Double Shoot Down - Junkers Ju-87B2 Stuka down.jpg 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	174076
    The errant Junkers Ju-87D2 is both downed by Pilot Officer Prattle and prevented from causing any damage or harm to the Jersey Shore area. However the crew according to Guarde Civile records survived and were treated locally with broken limbs.

Name:	28. Double Shoot Down - Gloster Gladiator Mk I down.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	174077
    Pilot Officer Prattle's Gloster Gladiator Mk I falls to earth within sight of the Axis aircraft. Prattle survived this encounter having just about gained enough height to bail out but with a hard landing: He broke both ankles but was luckily discovered by the L'Armee du Peres later the same day in the field where he had landed.

All three aircraft crew members were lucky to survive this encounter. Later that same year the Channel Islands would be invaded at which point Pilot Officer Prattle was captured as he recovered from his injuries. However upon hearing of the Stuka crew's treatment Prattle was treated well in return by his opposition.
    Last edited by Tonx; 08-24-2015 at 19:14. Reason: Photo captions 7 & 8 - rephrase.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I have a new AAR to post after a Belgian Hawker Hurricane Mk I was victorious over a Junkers Ju-87B2 Stuka yesterday ... It runs along the same lines as this but in a different location.

I have enjoyed reading countless AARs on here and am beginning to enjoy writing them as well. I will think of a better title for this next one

Great job! Excellent first AAR. I was very curious when I read the title (New Jersey has a large tourist area called The Jersey Shore, and many folks in the Philadelphia go "down the shore" for the weekend).

Thumbs up

Nice recreation of an early WW2 encounter.
    Well done Barney.

Nicely done Barney - I didn't realise Prattle was still firing after the initial exchanges as it did not appear in the text again until I saw the hint "so full of holes that it whistled along like the Flying Scotsman" (love that line !) the subsequent demise of both aircraft therefore came as a bit of surprise to me ! Might I suggest either placing a range stick or similar to denote firing and/or the damage chips, as that would make it obvious and build tension as the counts increase, or, make reference to the firing, the damage being caused and evasive manoeuvres in the storyline if you prefer uncluttered photos ?
    Last edited by flash; 08-27-2015 at 00:40.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nicely done Barney - I didn't realise Prattle was still firing after the initial exchanges as it did not appear in the text again until I saw the hint "so full of holes that it whistled along like the Flying Scotsman" (love that line !) the subsequent demise of both aircraft therefore came as a bit of surprise to me ! Might I suggest either placing a range stick or similar to denote firing and/or the damage chips, as that would make it obvious and build tension as the counts increase, or, make reference to the firing, the damage being caused and evasive manoeuvres in the storyline if you prefer uncluttered photos ?
    Dave thank you for the advice about firing and damage chits / tokens. Another thing I am going to get hold of to increase the quality and clarity of my AARs is flame and smoke trails from AA. I did have another to post but I'm going to hold off doing this for now and maybe re-run when further advice or constructive criticism for me to work upon has been received. Also may re-run with damage accessories when they arrive.

Jersey Shore was also a television series on MTV that was so bad we Brits only went and copied it with Geordie Shore! For those who have missed either or seen neither ... Definitely nothing to write home about! I think Atlantic City is on the Jersey Shore in which case one of the girls who I trained to fly with was from there. Last seen flying BAC 125-600 business jets based at Wilmington NC - cooooooooool plane!!!

A worthy first AAR Barnaby. If you enjoyed writing it it was worth it just for that. Nice to see a Gloss take on a 87 and almost survive. Valuable lessons no doubt have been learnt by Mr Prattle

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thank you Barnaby that was fun,

I felt like I was riding along with the action and not sure of how it would end because of the unique setting.
    I really liked the pilot's consideration to the rules of engagement despite his desire to go weapons live.

I'm looking forward to reading through more of you AARs good sir.

Chris

A good AAR, Barney!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Out of the AARs I have penned on the Aerodrome so far this one is proving to be the most popular. Glad everyone is enjoying what was actually my first attempt at writing one of these

Similar Missions

1. New Jersey: New Jersey
    By Steel Legion in forum US Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:40
  2. Moving to New Jersey
    By Bartman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 08:29