Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917

Default OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917

Right Oh chaps,
    I'm off on a spot of jolly old leave don't you know, so rather than leave you all gagging for your next operational briefing, read on.....

Bloody April is the name given to the (largely successful) British air support operations during the Battle of Arras,[2] during which particularly heavy casualties were suffered by the Royal Flying Corps at the hands of the German Luftstreitkräfte.
    The tactical, technological and training differences between the two sides ensured the British suffered a casualty rate nearly four times as great as their opponents. The losses were so disastrous that it threatened to undermine the morale of entire squadrons.

In April 1917 the British Army began an offensive at Arras. The Royal Flying Corps (RFC) supported British operations by offering close air support, aerial reconnaissance and strategic bombing of German targets. The RFC's commanding officer, Hugh Trenchard believed in the offensive use of air power and pushed for operations over German-controlled territory. It was expected the large numbers of aircraft assembled over the frontlines in the spring of 1917 would fulfil this purpose. However, the aircraft were, for the most part, inferior to German fighter aircraft.
    Crucially, British pilot training was not only poorly organised and inconsistent, it had to be drastically abbreviated in order to keep squadrons suffering heavy casualties up to strength. This was self-perpetuating, as it resulted in most new pilots lacking sufficient practical flight experience before reaching the war zone.

"...the worst carnage was amongst the new pilots – many of whom lasted just a day or two..."

Mission:
    Your orders are to intercept the Eagles before they can attack our reconnaissance planes.

Unfortunately, losses have been high. You are accompanied by two Rookie pilots, and you just want to keep them alive if possible. Your orders to the Rookies are: “When we are attacked, run.” Will they obey you??? (your choice)

As you venture further into enemy territory you are attacked by 6 Albatri, DIIIs and DIIs.*
    (Or whatever mix you have, if you have 6 DIII, use them all).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRF 16.001 DIII.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	173845

Set Up: Two mats placed Short edges together (roughly2ftx6ft). NML is between middle edge and half way across second mat

Name:	p16.007.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	173846

Eagles:
    Place the Albatri in two Vs, the rear planes bases touching the rear edge of the gaming area, the front planes base rear edge level with the front edge of the rear planes base, one ruler width apart to the side.

Name:	p16.003.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	173847
    Each V half a ruler from the centre line.

Name:	p16.005.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	173848

All the Albatri in a V will make the same manoeuvre as their leader until firing commences for that V.
    The first three manoeuvres for both Vs will be Stall, Straight, Straight to simulate a diving attack, and the first damage given will be plus one for the same reason.

Bulldogs:
    You may fly whichever B gun scouts you favour except Tripes. Only your Leader may have one as they were very rare in the RFC.
    I set this up using Pups, as they are my favourites, Nieuports are less manoeuvrable, Spads are faster and can take more damage.
    The Bulldogs are also in a V formation, leading edge to rear edge, but are one card width apart as the Rookies cannot manage close formation flying.

Name:	p16.004.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	173849
    The leader’s plane is two rulers plus a width from the enemy end of the gaming area, and flying towards it.

Name:	p16.006.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	173850
    The first three manoeuvres are normal rate turns either left or right.
    (Special rules for Pups. The leader can use the D+ deck, i.e. add a 90˚ left turn card to his deck. Rookies use a standard D deck, but cannot play the two 90˚right turn cards consecutively, either in a single turn or as the last and first cards of consecutive turns.
    Penalty: 1D6; 4,5,or 6 aircraft spins out of control and crashes 1,2 or 3 aircraft does not move for three manoeuvres ( cannot be shot at) then continues with next card in hand)

Rookies
    Use the Rookie rules from RAP,
    A Rookie cannot fire immediately after a steep manoeuvre, an Immelmann, a Split-S or a climb.
    A Rookie un-jams a machine gun more slowly, add one extra counter (4) for normal circumstances, and a second (5) if he is wounded.
    When a Rookie fires, he is slower than the others. All other shooting is resolved before that of a Rookie.
    If the Rookie is shot down he does not get to return or give fire.
    For this game, if a Rookie is wounded he does not get to return or give fire after the manoeuvre that led to his wound.

If aircraft 50% or more damage, over FT Rookie tries to land
    If aircraft 50% or more damage and wounded or on fire, over ET Rookie tries to land
    If aircraft 25% or more damage and wounded or on fire, over FT Rookie tries to land
    If aircraft 25% or more damage and wounded and on fire, over ET Rookie tries to land
    If aircraft 0%damage and wounded and on fire, over FT Rookie tries to land
    Landing rules, Dive (or whatever your favoured system allows), Straight , Stall.
    2D6: 50% damage, ET Evens you land, Odd you crash; FT any Even number shows on a dice, or total is Even, you land OK
    Wounded or on fire: ET 2-5= Fatal Crash, 6-9= Crash, 10-12 you Land. FT 2-4 Fatal Crash, 5-7 Crash, 8-12 you Land

All other results as normal

Victory:
    Entente Total Victory, all planes RTB or land FT OK
    Partial Victory, two pilots survive and return home.

CP Total Victory, No Entente planes or pilots get home
    Partial Victory, two Entente pilots KIA or prisoner

*If you do not have sufficient aircraft or the time to fly 6v3, fly any 2:1 combination.
    I do not have enough Albatros DIIIs myself, and will be subbing a couple of DVs, and utilising a J deck for two planes. (place your three cards from the B deck on your cockpit as normal, but use the J cards to do the move)
    Last edited by flash; 08-23-2015 at 00:44. Reason: Tarted up !

Looks interesting John. Question from the German POV... how to add in the Pup AI 90 degree left turns? Roll a die when turning left if the situation would call for it?
    Do we Germans flip it and play it like you as the Bulldogs? If not I think I'll add in more British.

Smile

That does look "Bloody" John!
    Will see if I can get the time to do the 6 vs 3 but might have to do the 4 x 2 version.

A question for flash!

Might I suggest we add two new names as rookies to our Bulldogs rosters as our existing pilots have already flown a couple of patrols.
    If you agree can you please add 2nd Lt Frederick Fish & Sgt Simon Short to my list.

Seems appropriate. Fish in a barrel & life expectancy Short!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-22-2015 at 18:11.

I have added them Baz - shown as Br unless you have another preference.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Looks interesting John. Question from the German POV... how to add in the Pup AI 90 degree left turns? Roll a die when turning left if the situation would call for it? Do we Germans flip it and play it like you as the Bulldogs? If not I think I'll add in more British.
    For the card I was thinking of borrowing one from the W deck (ignoring the steep) rather than making one - if using the charts then I would suggest comparing what the move would be if going to the right - if that shows a 90 turn then use the 90 left in your AI move.
    ie if going 10-11 see what going 2-3 would be - if 90 used then sub one in to the left for whatever would be the best result for the AI.

Whether the rookies obey orders or not I'll determine randomly - looks like it will be a hairy old time again !
    Last edited by flash; 08-23-2015 at 00:52.

"He is wise who watches"

Guess I will be needing a couple of rookies too Dave.

Sgt. Stones and 2nd Lt. Tombs. if you would be so kind.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks as if this one will be full of blood and gore John.
    Very nice my boy.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Guess I will be needing a couple of rookies too Dave.

Sgt. Stones and 2nd Lt. Tombs. if you would be so kind.
    Rob.
    Done

"He is wise who watches"

I'll also need a couple of rookies (I've only enough DII / DIII / sub DVa's to make four Eagles, but will probably add a couple of Halbs) - so let's go with Charles Wright and Peter Piper

Like you Dave, think I'll dice for whether the rookies actually run - 50/50 do you think?

You obviously have more faith in your pilots than Baz and I do Brian.
    Rob.

Good of you to have posted this a tad early John as next month is busy for me. May I have 2nd Lt Grimm and Sgt Reaper as my rookies please Dave.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You obviously have more faith in your pilots than Baz and I do Brian.
    Rob.
    Nope Rob, no faith at all - just the expectation that rookies will do stooopid things

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    ...Like you Dave, think I'll dice for whether the rookies actually run - 50/50 do you think?
    All rookies posted chaps - Haven't decided criteria on how I'm going to do the random pick yet Brian other than I shall roll for each pilot individually - may even have ones roll affect the other in some way ... hmm.

"He is wise who watches"

Sounds interesting Dave.
    I have now published the Hun in the Sun AAR.
    Printed off John's next mission and hope to fly it ASAP before Doncaster hits us.
    Rob.

The joys of 4G. In a field in Wales. My own thoughts are that inexperienced public schoolboys full of patriotic ferver won't want to let the side down or be seen to funk. Sergeants might be a bit more inclined to obey orders? Or maybe not.

Smile

Just loving all the names we are giving our Rookies!
    Obviously not many of us think they will survive!

I might just have an interesting twist for this one. Just thinking & nutting it out at the moment.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I have added them Baz - shown as Br unless you have another preference.
    Thanks Dave that's perfect. I had though of them as being British Public School boys like the replacements in "Aces High".
    Little training & hours but full of spunk & duty.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Good of you to have posted this a tad early John as next month is busy for me. May I have 2nd Lt Grimm and Sgt Reaper as my rookies please Dave.
    Yes September is looking nasty for me as well. Have the Tractor & Machinery Clubs AGM mid month followed by our Biennial Show & Rally over 3 days at the Moruya Showground & as I am the Secretary I need say no more.
    Will try to play early in the month before I get too bogged down!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

I might just have an interesting twist for this one. Just thinking & nutting it out at the moment.
    I was thinking of introducing Albert Ball for a guest appearance for the next one and then realized that he was on Leave in England during April.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    The joys of 4G. In a field in Wales. My own thoughts are that inexperienced public schoolboys full of patriotic ferver won't want to let the side down or be seen to funk. Sergeants might be a bit more inclined to obey orders? Or maybe not.
    Good point that John, Like your thinking and will adapt their reactions accordingly.
    Paul

Might try this one to get my feet wet, sometime in the next few weeks.
    I have 3 each of Albatross D.II, Albatross, Halberstadt, Pfalz and Siemens-Schukert D.III
    Any preference to make up my 6 ?

Dave - you gave me some Bulldogs to use - should I have a couple of rookies as well in case I lose 'em
    Or, since I am not 'official' yet can I just make 'em up ?

I'd use a mix of Albatros D.II & Halbs or you could use the Alb D.Va as a sub for the D.III and use the movement decks from the Pfalz scouts or as John suggested earlier. As you are unofficial it matters not how you use your pilots but rooky pilots 2lts George Bunting & Stanton Capel are at your disposal !

"He is wise who watches"

Just loving all the names we are giving our Rookies!
    Obviously not many of us think they will survive!
    I'm going with Chris Cross and Doug Graves just to keep with the theme

"He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

A few of my Hawker Humdrum and Westland Whippet crews could always play at being WGF Rookies for the day ...

Arheddis Varkenjab and Aywelbe Fayed.

Inayda Pizaqvick and Marlexa Kreust.

DJ Dance and Ima Singer.

Icahn Dance and Ucan Prance ... They only get worse so I'll stop there!

I'm going with Chris Cross and Doug Graves just to keep with the theme
    Sad lot aren't we .

That we are, I'm saving Angelo De'Ath for another time ! I had an Inspector De'Ath many years ago - nothing wound him up more that being called Inspector Death by an unwitting proby !

"He is wise who watches"

I'd use a mix of Albatros D.II & Halbs or you could use the Alb D.Va as a sub for the D.III and use the movement decks from the Pfalz scouts or as John suggested earlier. As you are unofficial it matters not how you use your pilots but rooky pilots 2lts George Bunting & Stanton Capel are at your disposal !
    I do have Alb D.III so will go with all Albatri

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I do have Alb D.III so will go with all Albatri
    Good call Pete!
    The SS D.III's would be a bit of an overkill for 1917.

Good call Pete!
    The SS D.III's would be a bit of an overkill for 1917.
    I thought that might be the case - especially against rookies

I know it's not September yet but I've had a go at this one... it was over in three turns or so - my chaps got off a couple of shots...
    As it's raining (well it is the summer bank holiday) I'm going to re-run it without the three standard turn start for the Bulldogs and see if they can make a fight of it this time !

"He is wise who watches"

Oh **** This sounds bad Dave. Perhaps our Rookies names were not so far fetched.

It wasn't the rookies I was worried about ! The re-run was exciting in places

"He is wise who watches"

Question

I know it's not September yet but I've had a go at this one... it was over in three turns or so - my chaps got off a couple of shots...
    As it's raining (well it is the summer bank holiday) I'm going to re-run it without the three standard turn start for the Bulldogs and see if they can make a fight of it this time !
    Just a question, flash as I know John is away.
    He states for the British you must do 3 turns, Left or Right to start the game.
    Am I correct in thinking you can play one Right then one Left & then another either L or R?
    I presume he did NOT mean all three cards turning in the one direction???

Hi Baz, I did mean a standard U turn!
    Given the appalling losses we suffered, this is weighted heavily against us, because whichever way you turn you are going to get mauled in the first pass.
    Its what you do after that which should give you some hope (if you survive). I recommended Pups, because they can out turn the Albatri. Spads can out run them, but they will take a lot of hammer getting out of range!
    Playing with altitude should help, as a fast dive by the Huns should see them pass under you and give you a breather.

Good Luck! You'll need it.

If it proves too difficult for everyone, perhaps turn half a ruler further out?
    perhaps Germans start with Stall, Straight, Stall?
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 09-01-2015 at 10:04.

Hi Baz, I did mean a standard U turn! Given the appalling losses we suffered, this is weighted heavily against us, because whichever way you turn you are going to get mauled in the first pass.
    You ain't kidding !!
    Its what you do after that which should give you some hope (if you survive).
    I mostly crashed
    I recommended Pups, because they can out turn the Albatri. Spads can out run them, but they will take a lot of hammer getting out of range! Playing with altitude should help, as a fast dive by the Huns should see them pass under you and give you a breather.
    Nah, it didn't help, with my rules the buggers just popped back up again !
    You're not wrong !
    I like the bounce just not the fact my experienced pilot turned his back on it ! Might I suggest that just the first turn card (or two) is compulsory, that will bring them under the Eagles guns but might give them an out if they're lucky ? Think you'll just have to suck it and see but I wouldn't advise having one of your fave pilots out front !

"He is wise who watches"

I was thinking of randomly deciding the altitude and if the Bulldogs come out higher they actually have the bounce on the Eagles, and vice versa of course.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Question

Hi Baz, I did mean a standard U turn!
    Given the appalling losses we suffered, this is weighted heavily against us, because whichever way you turn you are going to get mauled in the first pass.
    Its what you do after that which should give you some hope (if you survive). I recommended Pups, because they can out turn the Albatri. Spads can out run them, but they will take a lot of hammer getting out of range!
    Playing with altitude should help, as a fast dive by the Huns should see them pass under you and give you a breather.

perhaps Germans start with Stall, Straight, Stall?
    Thanks for the reply John!
    Its just that I had a "Twist" to the tale that I planned to add & the U turn does not fit into the story.
    Any thoughts from you or flash if I can use the Turn cards in a more random fashion?
    I do hope to play it tomorrow if possible but do not want to go against the written word unless I get the OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I was thinking of randomly deciding the altitude and if the Bulldogs come out higher they actually have the bounce on the Eagles, and vice versa of course.
    I was thinking about that too, and perhaps a couple well placed clouds. Good excuses why the rookies might dive into battle.

The point is this is Bloody April, a time when the Germans had the upper hand and were wielding the scythe with alacrity, hence the game has been designed to be.... potentially punishing to the Tommy and should be played as written by the author. I don't think an experienced pilot with two rookies would take on six Albatrii even if he had the height advantage - especially when he's told them to run at the first sign of trouble ...though he may be tempted into a trap...
    I guess I'm saying keep it as close to the original if you can and remember the scythe ! Enjoy your games

"He is wise who watches"

I may employ a couple of clouds myself, so that my Rookies can dive out of battle.
    Rob.

As an experienced pilot, and being somewhat in extremis, an Immel or S-turn off the curve might be allowable, it depends how much you want to bend the play, and how good your pilot is.
    I you use Pups, you have the option (as the leader) to use two 90 rights to get back and worry the enemy.
    Clouds is a very good idea! The weather was awful, a couple of large clouds per map section. If the clouds are very large, use a D8 for direction of egress perhaps? 1=N, 2=NE, 3 = E and so on. For the Rookies certainly.

Damnation John, another Eagle down and nearly lost the CO! Nice mission and not the walkover you might think!

Played it as written Dave, hence the post above!

Neil

The point is this is Bloody April, a time when the Germans had the upper hand and were wielding the scythe with alacrity, hence the game has been designed to be.... potentially punishing to the Tommy and should be played as written by the author. I don't think an experienced pilot with two rookies would take on six Albatrii even if he had the height advantage - especially when he's told them to run at the first sign of trouble ...though he may be tempted into a trap...
    I guess I'm saying keep it as close to the original if you can and remember the scythe ! Enjoy your games

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 17:09
  2. Bloody April 1917 Board Game
    By irwin6666 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 07:56
  3. Prague Summer Con - Prelude mission
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 18:32