Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air crash at Shoreham Airshow

A good point, often overlooked and very well put. Having been involved in dealing with events of a traumatic nature (not always aviation-related) in the past I've often seen how those not directly involved at the incident itself but are - unquestionably - affected and traumatised by it are often overlooked.
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 08-30-2015 at 03:27. Reason: Typo

Thanks Alex. Having retired from Sussex Police six years ago (and having worked at that airshow in a TA role) I know that in a different time that could easily have been me involved in such an incident.
    Currently it is one of my good friends and a number of other acquaintances going through that particular grisly mill.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It appears the A27 has now been mostly reopened to traffic today, so far the death toll is still 11, all of which I believe have now been identified.
    I would ask that we spare a thought not just for the victims of the initial incident and their families but also for the witnesses, survivors, and especially for the emergency responders, investigators and all those employed to deal with the aftermath of this incident. It has been a grim task by all accounts and one that will, unfortunately, have further consequences for some of those people.
    Amen

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I have noticed how the pilot of the Hawker Hunter T7 has been named but his location not given: Wise move - not that he is able to do or say anything at the moment anyway. He is in an induced coma.

Thanks to the Official Secrets Act the next facts relating to the crash we will hear is when the AAIB publish their Interim Report. The same situation applies to the Folland Gnat T1 crash in Oulton which killed the pilot two weeks to the day before the Shoreham Eleven lost their lives.

Tell you what: I wish there would be a charity set up to support the families of the Shoreham Eleven and survivors who were injured in this accident ... Something like Ferry Aid which was set up in 1987 to raise money for the Herald of Free Enterprize tragedy where there was even a pop song made. Mind you like a friend of mine said last night was there anything similar for the Manchester Fifty-five and survivors after August 3rd 1985? No plus the fact that over the years the Band Aid song Do They Know It's Christmas has been absolutely fried to death making people sick of both this song and anything with the word Aid as a suffix ...

Last week I raised a substantial amount of money for MacMillan Cancer Support after I Braved the Shave having heard about all this on the radio (Gem 106 FM.) I would happily have the same done again to raise money for the Shoreham accident.

Tell you what: I wish there would be a charity set up to support the families
    Here you go Barney -
    http://www.sussexgiving.org.uk/shore...show-disaster/

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Dave thank you for this link - I have just made a donation having just finished playing an extremely special game of Wings of Glory which was actually played in memory of the Shoreham Eleven. Featuring our brand new trophy aircraft in this neck of the woods a brand new and awesome Power Howl came for the first time to the skies of WGS. It came from a firm air show favourite (photos available via my profile) ...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

On September 4th 2015 the BBC news featured an article which stated that the UK Air Accident Investigation Branch had released an Interim Report into the Shoreham Air Show tragedy. Apart from the pilot being thrown clear of the wreckage upon impact this report disturbingly highlights how the aircraft appeared to be functioning normally when it hit the ground according to the AAIB's findings so far.

A CFIT - Controlled Flight Into Terrain maybe? Oh please no ...

This information is based on footage recovered from the two cameras set up in the cockpit of the aircraft - The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) report said cockpit footage showed the plane "responding to the pilot's control inputs"..... by which I take it the control surfaces were responding to movement of the controls. I'm not sure this qualifies as the whole aircraft was functioning normally as there was no mention of the engine or fuel system in the BBC coverage but it seems those on board cameras will certainly help the investigation move forward.

Sorry, I don't see how this kind of speculation is at all helpful.

Let the Professional Investigators ascertain the FACTS, and publish these.

If relatives of the pilot (or the victims) were to be subjected to incomplete analysis which appeared to suggest pilot error, and this was to be disproved or overturned at a later date, a terrible tragedy could become much worse for those involved.

Finalise the report, and publish.

THEN react to the findings.

That's my flight plan.

I'm with you on this one Tim.
    Let us hope that the whole disaster is cleared up by the crash investigation team and not subjected to the usual trial by Mass Media.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm with you on this one Tim.
    Let us hope that the whole disaster is cleared up by the crash investigation team and not subjected to the usual trial by Mass Media.
    Rob.
    Maybe it is time to scrap these Interim Reports and just publish the Final Report into any aviation accident. After all the power of the media has changed dramatically since the Farnborough tragedy in 1952. The factors surrounding air crash investigation in the UK have not changed sufficiently enough IMHO to account for the way the power of the media has changed: Maybe what was seen on September 4th 2015 was another case of the BBC having an opinion on this tragedy as opposed to being a genuine report issued by the UK AAIB. With the term Interim Report misused as part of the headline ...

There are plenty of other examples of recent events where for example the BBC has an opinion on the matter ... Which is what gets published in the news and on current events-focused programmes. It drove somebody the other day to respond to a question from me with just 'Keep Quiet!' What was my question - it was which way is the best way to defend the UK these days?
    Last edited by Tonx; 09-06-2015 at 11:24. Reason: Added final section.

Not an expert so can't and won't comment.

Prayers and thoughts to everyone directly or indirectly involved.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Shoreham Airshow 31 August & 1 September
    By Womble in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 00:58
  2. Great War Display Team at Shoreham
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 23:48
  3. How D'Ya Like *This* Airshow?