Ares Games

Thread: Same Salmson, Another Photo, More Info.

Default Same Salmson, Another Photo, More Info.

Thanks to my good friend John Holman, God bless him, I have another photo of the 12th Aero Squadron's Salmson "Old Carolina IV" and some great information about her pilot, as well.

Dogan Arthur was born in Union, SC, in 1892. He studied at Clemson University (which was at that time a military college) for two years. He rose to command the 12th and received two Distinguished Service Crosses:

Distinguished Service Cross
    The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Captain (Air Service) Dogan H. Arthur, United States Army Air Service, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with 12th Aero Squadron, U.S. Army Air Service, A.E.F., in the St. Mihiel salient 12 September 1918. Lieutenant Arthur, pilot, and Second Lieutenant Howard T. Fleeson, observer, executed a difficult mission of infantry contact patrol, without protection of accompanying battle planes, on the first day of the St. Mihiel offensive. After being driven back twice by a patrol of nine enemy planes, they courageously made a third attempt in the face of a third attack by the same planes, found the American lines, and after being shot down, but falling uninjured in friendly territory, communicated their valuable information to headquarters.
    General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 126 (1919)
    Action Date: September 12, 1918

Distinguished Service Cross
    The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Distinguished Service Cross to Captain (Air Service) Dogan H. Arthur, United States Army Air Service, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with 12th Aero Squadron, U.S. Army Air Service, A.E.F., on October 18 and 30, 1918, while on artillery reglage. Lieutenant Arthur and his observer were attacked by four enemy planes. His observer's guns were jammed, but Lieutenant Arthur, with splendid courage and coolness, outmaneuvered the hostile aircraft and escaped, although they followed his plane to within 25 meters of the ground, badly damaging it by machine-gun fire. On 30 October 1918, Lieutenant Arthur was one of a formation of nine planes which were to take photographs in German territory. Before the lines were reached six planes dropped out, but the remaining three entered the German lines, although they observed several large formations of enemy planes in the near vicinity. When they were 12 kilometers within the German lines they were attacked by 18 enemy Fokkers. Regardless of his own safety, Lieutenant Arthur engaged these planes in order to allow his companions to escape, and turning toward his own lines only when he saw them shot down. Then he fought his way home, and in the fight which ensued his observer shot down two enemy planes.
    General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 126 (1919)
    Action Date: October 18 & 30, 1918

Arthur died in 1923 in a flying accident at Langley Field, Virginia. May he rest in peace while the memory of his heroism lives on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12th_Aero_Squadron_Salmson_2A2-2.jpg   Image 17-1 Old Carolina 4Aero.jpg  

Nice! Thanks for the pics, Joe... this is a model I would love to see Ares produce at some point. Salmson 2s made up a third of the French reconnaissance fleet at war's end, and served with distinction in the USAS.

Thanks for this Joe - nice to see the twin Lewis mount - A guns in back !!

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks for this Joe - nice to see the twin Lewis mount - A guns in back !!
    Oooh, yes - an armament scheme for my Shapeways kite, methinks!

Thanks for pics, I will have to add a couple of Salmson to my list

Thanks. Nice looking plane.

Thumbs up

Thanks Joe for the extra photos & info.

Joe, thanks for making the connection of the pilots/observers to the planes. A definite must have for US squadrons.

Now where's the *&^%$#!ing minis?

Shapeways will have to do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Joe, thanks for making the connection of the pilots/observers to the planes. A definite must have for US squadrons.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Shapeways will have to do for now.
    Looks like I need to pull the trigger on an order... before someone mentions another aircraft I decide I need to have.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Looks like I need to pull the trigger on an order... before someone mentions another aircraft I decide I need to have.
    Don't miss out on the $10 offer, never turn down getting a free plane!

Thank you for this article, Joe. Two-seater crews do not often receive much recognition.

It is a little disturbing to read that six planes left a formation of nine before they reached the lines. The Salmson 2A2 was supposed to be a reliable aircraft.

That does seem to be a high level of attrition... I know flights of six would often be reduced by 1 or 2 aircraft, but 2/3 is brutal!

Throwing in my support for an official mini!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Throwing in my support for an official mini!
    me as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for this article, Joe. Two-seater crews do not often receive much recognition.

It is a little disturbing to read that six planes left a formation of nine before they reached the lines. The Salmson 2A2 was supposed to be a reliable aircraft.
    Bad batch of spare parts or fuel, perhaps.

Similar Missions

1. Salmson-Moineau S.M.1 Card?
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2013, 02:21
  2. WSF The Mighty Salmson!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 11:30
  3. Building SRAMīs Salmson-Moineau SM-1 1/144
    By 144sram in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 8