Ares Games

Thread: What British aircraft shoot down the most Germans on the WF?

Default What British aircraft shoot down the most Germans on the WF?

The answer:
    Camel = 1,407 Destroyed, 1,305 Out of control, 106 Balloons = 2,818 claims
    SE5 = 1,371 Destroyed, 1,100 Out of control, 170 Balloons = 2,641 claims
    Bristol F2b = 743 Destroyed, 768 Out of control, 10 Balloons = 1,521 claims
    Nieuport = 248 Destroyed, 384 Out of control, 60 Balloons = 692 claims
    DH4 = 164 Destroyed, 351 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 515 claims
    FE2 = 211 Destroyed, 270 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 481 claims
    DH9 = 195 Destroyed, 222 Out of control, 4 Balloons = 421claims
    Dolphin = 191 Destroyed, 141 Out of control, 10 Balloons = 342 claims
    Triplane = 100 Destroyed, 211 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 311 claims
    Pup = 116 Destroyed, 182 Out of control, 4 Balloons = 302 claims
    Spad = 118 Destroyed, 178 Out of control, 3 Balloons = 299 claims
    DH2 = 87 Destroyed, 80 Out of control, 5 Balloons = 172 claims
    RE8 = 105 Destroyed, 47 Out of control, 2 Balloons = 154 claims
    1˝ Strutter = 57 Destroyed, 83 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 140 claims
    DH5 = 39 Destroyed, 56 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 95 claims
    BE2 = 42 Destroyed, 39 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 81 claims
    Snipe = 29 Destroyed, 22 Out of control, 2 Balloons = 53 claims
    FE8 = 27 Destroyed, 22 Out of control, 1 Balloons = 50 claims
    Morane = 18 Destroyed, 20 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 38 claims
    AW FK8 = 17 Destroyed, 12 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 29 claims
    FB5 = 11 Destroyed, 14 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 25 claims
    Martinsyde = 7 Destroyed, 17 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 24 claims
    Bristol Scout = 5 Destroyed, 11 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 16 claims
    Unknown = 3 Destroyed, 5 Out of control, 2 Balloons = 10 claims
    BE12 = 5 Destroyed, 2 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 7 claims
    Avro = 2 Destroyed, 1 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 3 claims
    Sopwith Baby = 0 Destroyed, 1 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 1 claim
    FBA = 1 Destroyed, 0 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 1 claim
    O/400 = 0 Destroyed, 1 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 1 claim
    RE7 = 0 Destroyed, 1 Out of control, 0 Balloons = 1 claim

Does that mean the Camel was the best? No, this kind of data does not support or deny that claim.
    It does not take into account that Camels were more numerous and the fact they were more deadly to their own pilots.
    But, the Camel was also used in the ground support role and at generally at lower altitudes than other fighters.
    So it is up to you to decide.

Grammar getting tougher the older you get. Shoot should be shot.
    Last edited by john snelling; 08-20-2015 at 16:37.

Interesting data. Of course, as we know, claims doesn't mean destroyed always.
    Also interesting that the Camel and the Se.5 combined had more than the rest combined, by a lot.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

This is probably one of those arguments that will never be settled satisfactorily.

Peter Hart, in Aces Falling: War Above the Trenches, discusses the relative merits of both Camel and SE5a. Major Sholto Douglas of 84 Squadron believed the SE5 to be the most successful of the single seat scouts of the war due to its speed (even at altitude), ruggedness, reliable engine, and ability to remain stable in a dive. On the other side of the equation, Capt. Harry Balfour believed the Camel to be more than a handful when in a turning fight with German scouts, as it could turn inside the Pfalz and Albatros scouts they commonly faced.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    This is probably one of those arguments that will never be settled satisfactorily.

Peter Hart, in Aces Falling: War Above the Trenches, discusses the relative merits of both Camel and SE5a. Major Sholto Douglas of 84 Squadron believed the SE5 to be the most successful of the single seat scouts of the war due to its speed (even at altitude), ruggedness, reliable engine, and ability to remain stable in a dive. On the other side of the equation, Capt. Harry Balfour believed the Camel to be more than a handful when in a turning fight with German scouts, as it could turn inside the Pfalz and Albatros scouts they commonly faced.
    Agreed!!!
    I really like the SE-5a in WOG and Camels are not to bad either.
    They were used differently. Both combined with the Bristol managed to wrestle air control from the Germans starting mid to late 1917.
    May the sun be behind your back,
    John

Thoroughly absorbing information once again.
    Many thanks, John!

Interesting but not surprised Camel and SE5a are on top

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I must confess my first thought reading that lot is "which nutcase went balloon busting in a DH9...?" I can conceive that the couple of RE-8 balloon kills might have arisen as a case of wrong place wrong time, but for a DH9 to get a balloon, it must've gone looking....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I must confess my first thought reading that lot is "which nutcase went balloon busting in a DH9...?" I can conceive that the couple of RE-8 balloon kills might have arisen as a case of wrong place wrong time, but for a DH9 to get a balloon, it must've gone looking....
    I was thinking "a target of opportunity" right place at the right time for the DH9.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Maybe, but it doesn't fit their usual mission profile - the corps 2-seaters had to play in the mud at times, but British bomber doctrine would have them way too high to encounter balloons before they even crossed the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Interesting but not surprised Camel and SE5a are on top
    That's a fair point. They were both, in their own way, world-beaters.

At lower altitudes and in a "dogfight," the Camel could out-turn the most common German scouts... and it could outrun the Fokker triplanes. Though out-classed in many ways by the Fokker D.VII, there were 3,000 more Camels kicking around than D.VIIs. And, although the SE5a was better than the Camel in many ways (one could argue marginally so, and it would be a matter of preference)... the engine teething problems kept it from the front in numbers until early 1918.

Although I'm fond of the Sopwith (I started off as a Camel Driver way back in the day ), the SE5a is my kite of choice.

I'm really surprised that the SPAD is so low. I guess the British didn't use that many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm really surprised that the SPAD is so low. I guess the British didn't use that many of them.
    Only 19 and 23 Squadrons flew SPAD S.VIIs on the Western Front (from Feb 1917), with 30 Squadron flying them in Mesopotamia. 19 Sqn traded their SPADs in for Dolphins in Jan 1918, with 23 Sqn following in April.

The British were concerned about the SPAD's firepower deficit, and British-made SPADs suffered from quality control issues... so the type wasn'the as popular as the more powerful Camels and SE5s entering service in 1917.

Thank you for compiling this list, John. It highlights some interesting facts.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Only 19 and 23 Squadrons flew SPAD S.VIIs on the Western Front (from Feb 1917), with 30 Squadron flying them in Mesopotamia. 19 Sqn traded their SPADs in for Dolphins in Jan 1918, with 23 Sqn following in April.

The British were concerned about the SPAD's firepower deficit, and British-made SPADs suffered from quality control issues... so the type wasn'the as popular as the more powerful Camels and SE5s entering service in 1917.
    Thanks Chris. I know so little on squadron make up, thank for the enlightnement.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for compiling this list, John. It highlights some interesting facts.
    You are welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed the posting.
    May the sun always be at your back,
    John

Similar Missions

1. Classic British Aircraft
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 01:48
  2. British Aircraft in Russian Service, 1916-1922
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 10:40
  3. Replies: 10