Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Over?

Default Game Over?

So, I stopped by my FLGS today and while speaking with the owner he mentioned that during a phone call with a rep for one of his distributors, the rep mentioned that the WW2 version of the Wings series has been canceled and no more new product would be forth coming. Has anyone else heard this nasty rumor? I am wondering if that particular distributor is no longer going to be carrying the line, or if they are really saying that the game is done.

The fact that Ares said 2015, would see 3 new products added to the line and that we are in middle August and there have no releases, prototype photos, or even release dates discussed on Ares' upcoming section of their tab has me a tad concerned....But, I don't know if I fully believe that WGS is over.

Andrea? Roberto? Keith? anyone? care to debunk this rumor?

Here's hoping it's a false rumour.....................

Exclamation

I doubt this is True due to the info we have had of intended BoB & Pacific War dual pack releases.
    I think the delay is due to the Kickstarter efforts with the big WW1 bombers.

I am sure Keith would have heard of any moves on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I hope this is an evil rumor.
    That's where I'm going too, Peter.

It's always a possibility, so I don't want to scoff at Daniel. But... it strikes me as suspect that a "guy who knows a guy" (rep of a distributor) would have access to this information before anyone else?

As I said, it's possible... but I'm going to choose to not run around as if the sky were falling... until I start getting hit.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    That's where I'm going too, Peter.

It's always a possibility, so I don't want to scoff at Daniel. But... it strikes me as suspect that a "guy who knows a guy" (rep of a distributor) would have access to this information before anyone else?

As I said, it's possible... but I'm going to choose to not run around as if the sky were falling... until I start getting hit.
    Don't shoot the messenger! I am skeptical as well! My FLGS owner has nothing to gain by spreading an u founded rumor, something was certainly said, but what exactly the Rep meant is unclear.

Not at all what I intended, Daniel! To be fair, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I'm going to choose to not believe the rumor, but that has nothing to do with the messenger!

we havent heard anything like that from our distributors at dreadfully good games. i suspect its just that that distributor was electing not to carry the product line anymore. i dont see ares releasing the big bombers and deleting the product line after just a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    we havent heard anything like that from our distributors at dreadfully good games. i suspect its just that that distributor was electing not to carry the product line anymore. i dont see ares releasing the big bombers and deleting the product line after just a few months.
    Especially with the outrageous prices some of their product is fetching these days...

I have the feeling, that the cooperation partner here in Germany (Heidelberger) does not support the WW II version.

You can't still buy the 4-engined bombers here in Germany and the shop, that offers them bought them in the States or UK I think. 39 € for a B17 or Lanc is horrible.

Personally I do not give much on informations from a store owner about Wings of Glory because we are sitting here at the source of informations. Why should he get secret informations about WoG beside managing 1000 other games in his shop?

I only can repeat myself. Ares Games isn't that big that they can flood the market with waves of WGF, WGS or SoG planes/ships every 6 month. They have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment.

Be shure if Ares Games decides not to continue the WGS series, we'll get the infomation at first.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 08-19-2015 at 23:22.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Be shure if Ares Games decides not to continue the WGS series, we'll get the infomation at first.
    I am going to contact my FLGS Caliver Books in Nottingham to see if they have heard anything about this rumor. Whilst at the same time my faith in Wings of Glory / WW2 or WGS stands firm. I agree with Sven as look how quickly we found out about the cancellation of the electronic version of Wings of Glory on the Aerodrome.

Footnote: Could THIS be what the sales rep mentioned in the OP have heard about the cancellation of? Maybe he is confusing this development with the wholesale cancellation of WGS?

PS: Anybody here from Heidelberg? I visited there three years ago - it's a lovely city

I am going to stop by my FLGS today after work and ask for more info on exactly what was said in their conversation. I want to quash this as quickly as I can, I normally wouldn't bring something like this to the 'Drome, but figured I wouldn't be the only one hearing this rumor if it had some validity.

Personally, I am not pleased with the trickle releases of WGS, as I would love more product/planes to mess with, especially the SBDs. But I can also understand that their are limited resources in any company's coffers. I will be happy to have Heavies out for both lines after this Kick Starter campaign so we can get back to Scouts/fighters and two seaters/single engine dive bombers in the near future. Those big birds take up a ton of resources and overhead for sure.
    I'll report back on the double once I have more info.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    I am going to stop by my FLGS today after work and ask for more info on exactly what was said in their conversation. I want to quash this as quickly as I can, I normally wouldn't bring something like this to the 'Drome, but figured I wouldn't be the only one hearing this rumor if it had some validity.
    That's a good thought.

I'll report back on the double once I have more info.
    Thanks, Daniel!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Pleasant conversation with FLGS (named above) just now. They are a very experienced Ares Games stockist - Wings Sails the lot. They stocked Nexus Games products beforehand and still have some items in the shop.

They have tended to disregard any such rumours but also disregard any release dates that are given by Ares Games: They just note what is coming out products-wise - the whats not the whens if you like.

They have rest assured me that nothing to this avail has been heard from their supplier and that their best advice is to carry on and enjoy the WW2 / WGS game.

I too would like to see more input and releases from Ares Games into WW2 / WGS such as the Douglas SBD-3/5 Dauntless. This is one of the most talked-about WW2 aircraft types on here ... However I am also very grateful for what we have so far from them. By the time Nexus stopped supporting the game it had single engine fighters and dive bombers - the latter being something I am currently learning more about. However since Ares took over supporting the game this has been outfitted with twin-engine aircraft along with Medium and Heavy Bombers.

Not to mention the Avro Lancaster Dambuster Edition which combined with it's Special Pack must be one of the most innovative gaming pieces ever thought of

Nope, WGS is not being cancelled. The delay in releases is mostly do to rearranging the order of several product releases. Last I heard, the BoB Starters were up next. It turns out these are more akin to the old Deluxe sets than they are to the WGF Duel Packs. This means they are a more complex product then just repainting the minis and chopping the rules down. The last time frame I had on these was the end of 2015, but I doubt that will happen at this point. I'd look for it in the first half of 2016 with the next Series in Mid to Late 2016.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skyfalling.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Nope, WGS is not being cancelled. The delay in releases is mostly do to rearranging the order of several product releases. Last I heard, the BoB Starters were up next. This means they are a more complex product then just repainting the minis and chopping the rules down. The last time frame I had on these was the end of 2015, but I doubt that will happen at this point. I'd look for it in the first half of 2016 with the next Series in Mid to Late 2016.

Good to hear from somebody actually in the know....I am still gonna visit my LGS tonight and figure out what was said in their conversation with their distribution rep. Perhaps, it means I wont be able to get anymore product at my FLGS? He only uses the one distributor, as he isn't a big shop and located in a medium sized town, with plenty of competition. If that is the case, I can always buy online, from the Aerodrome Store or other fine online retailers.

As far as BoB Starters coming first, meh and more meh. Give us the damn SBD that we have been clamoring for for YEARS now! I am sure they have their reasons and understand their customers better than I do, so I will concede the decision. I know their are plenty of players both here at the "Drome and all over the world looking for 109s, Hurris, and Spits from the BoB time frame. I am sure they will sell rather well, once they hit retail.

"It turns out these are more akin to the old Deluxe sets than they are to the WGF Duel Packs."

Sounds expensive! eek!!!!

As far as BoB Starters coming first, meh and more meh. Give us the damn SBD that we have been clamoring for for YEARS now! I am sure they have their reasons and understand their customers better than I do, so I will concede the decision. I know their are plenty of players both here at the "Drome and all over the world looking for 109s, Hurris, and Spits from the BoB time frame. I am sure they will sell rather well, once they hit retail.

"It turns out these are more akin to the old Deluxe sets than they are to the WGF Duel Packs."

I suspect they are doing a BoB set to grow the fan base of the game. There is no battle this side of Waterloo... or at least Gettysburg, that has the mystique and romance associated with it than the Battle of Britain (no matter how much those things were manufactured propaganda). The only possible problem I can think of is that there were at least 8 different aircraft types that played a major role in the battle (4 German Bombers, 2 German fighters and 2 English fighters), and that ignores the other interesting planes that made appearances.

--
    Bill

Stay calm and buy another dual pack

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    .... the cancellation of the electronic version of Wings of Glory on the Aerodrome.

Footnote: Could THIS be what the sales rep mentioned in the OP have heard about the cancellation of? Maybe he is confusing this development with the wholesale cancellation of WGS?
    ^^ This is my guess.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Nope, WGS is not being cancelled. The delay in releases is mostly do to rearranging the order of several product releases. Last I heard, the BoB Starters were up next. It turns out these are more akin to the old Deluxe sets than they are to the WGF Duel Packs. This means they are a more complex product then just repainting the minis and chopping the rules down. The last time frame I had on these was the end of 2015, but I doubt that will happen at this point. I'd look for it in the first half of 2016 with the next Series in Mid to Late 2016.
    Thank you Sir for your assurances and suggested timescales as to when WW2 / WGS may finally be getting to see something new. If it's all more than likely to be happening in 2016 ... Then I'm more than prepared to wait until 2016 as that is shaping up to be a good year next year. In the meantime I'm occupied with my WW2 / WGS dive bombers venture which is actually going rather well at the moment.

If it is any consolation it is not just the World of WGS where there are new release sagas of this nature going on. I also collect Corgi Aviation Archive / Corgi models and the sagas that used to drag on with these ... Have started happening all over again even though Corgi is now owned by Hornby! The most frustrating of these has only just occurred with a 1/144 Scale diecast Vickers Valiant B Mk 1model which Corgi originally should have released last year. I'm into my V-Bombers so this model was of interest and so the waiting patiently began in October last year. Which lasted until Xmas time at which point Corgi put the release date back into this year: Finally the release was cancelled in February 2015 - GRRRRR!

I'm wondering if there are issues happening with manufacturer in China; given their little economic turbulence this Spring and Summer?
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandBill View Post
    I suspect they are doing a BoB set to grow the fan base of the game. There is no battle this side of Waterloo... or at least Gettysburg, that has the mystique and romance associated with it than the Battle of Britain (no matter how much those things were manufactured propaganda). The only possible problem I can think of is that there were at least 8 different aircraft types that played a major role in the battle (4 German Bombers, 2 German fighters and 2 English fighters), and that ignores the other interesting planes that made appearances.

--
    Bill
    Agree completely that the Battle of Britain is steeped in mystique... but I agree with Daniel and don't think Ares would go wrong if they were to release a Pacific War themed series. I imagine there are more than a few souls who would like to re-fight the carrier battles of mid-late 1942, as well as the fight for the Solomons.

Good to hear from somebody actually in the know....I am still gonna visit my LGS tonight and figure out what was said in their conversation with their distribution rep. Perhaps, it means I wont be able to get anymore product at my FLGS? He only uses the one distributor, as he isn't a big shop and located in a medium sized town, with plenty of competition. If that is the case, I can always buy online, from the Aerodrome Store or other fine online retailers.

in my limited experience with distributor reps they say pretty much anything to cover their own ass if an order gets messed up or theres an unexpected issue. one wonders how many gaming industry rumors get started this way.

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandBill View Post

--
    Bill
    id argue that d-day has at least as much cachet as bob, if not more since it was so multinational.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Stay calm and buy another dual pack
    Like it Paul.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'm wondering if there are issues happening with manufacturer in China; given their little economic turbulence this Spring and Summer?
    Karl'
    I wouldn't expect so - China's having stock market issues, not "real world" economic issues - factories and such are still working fine, it's just a bunch of insanely overpriced "tech" stocks that are taking an overdue hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I wouldn't expect so - China's having stock market issues, not "real world" economic issues - factories and such are still working fine, it's just a bunch of insanely overpriced "tech" stocks that are taking an overdue hit.
    Perhaps; but with the Central Committee saying "BUY!" maybe the manufactory companies are pushing larger orders forward to cover losses.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I revisited with my FLGS owner last night about his phone conversation. According to him, the rep simply said, Ares was no longer supporting the WWII version of Wings of Glory and thus WGS is canceled. Where this guy got his information is unknown. I personally am chalking it up to being that somebody has an opinion without a tangible source.

Seeing as we have someone in Keith who is a whole lot closer to Ares, I am sure he would know well before some rep at a game distribution company. So, I am done with the rumor and heavily anticipating the next products to come out and hope that Ares can get back on track with new products in the very near future. It was a decent release pattern for WGS when they first took over for Nexus, I realize a lot of those were products Nexus had developed and thus it was easier and quicker to get things to the market, but 12-18 months between product releases like we have had the last couple of years isn't good for the game in my honest opinion. I personally would like to see something new every 6-8 months. That would give me time to play with the new stuff and have time to save for the new releases without too much of an issue. But, again, that is just me and my personal preferences and may not work for others. Some may even prefer a new release every couple years due to their circumstances, so I suppose it is what it is and I get to continue to wait and see what happens.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I revisited with my FLGS owner last night about his phone conversation. According to him, the rep simply said, Ares was no longer supporting the WWII version of Wings of Glory and thus WGS is canceled. Where this guy got his information is unknown. I personally am chalking it up to being that somebody has an opinion without a tangible source.
    You might have heard of that pop song from the 1980s with 'Hang the DJ' repeatedly in it ... That is what is currently running through my mind about somebody with an opinion without a tangible (or credible in that instance) source. For those of us who want a bit of fun with this topic look up Panic by The Smiths on Youtube ... and instead of DJ put Sales Rep in it's place when you hear this line in the song!

I am glad that WW2 / WGS is not for the chop as having currently collected all of the Wings of Glory I have moved onto Wings of War. Also kitting our game out with The Wife by buying Official Gaming Mats and improved smoke and flames which is all investment. But to also keep the game exciting I would prefer a New Releases schedule which brought something out every eight months to one year.

One of Morissey's more cheery songs. God, what a miserable bastard

Agree completely that the Battle of Britain is steeped in mystique... but I agree with Daniel and don't think Ares would go wrong if they were to release a Pacific War themed series. I imagine there are more than a few souls who would like to re-fight the carrier battles of mid-late 1942, as well as the fight for the Solomons.
    The Pac is up after BoB for some starter sets. I would expect to see at least one Series release between them if not two though.

The Pac is up after BoB for some starter sets. I would expect to see at least one Series release between them if not two though.

Releases are good, even if they're not exactly what I want. And, to be fair, the next WGF series hits on four of four for me.

Not to be a downer, but I will believe it all when I see it. meaning this game is now out of sight, out of mind on the new release side until I start seeing tangible proof that we are indeed getting new stuff! That way, I can just enjoy what I have for the time being and not get so worried about what I want to come out and don't have offered by Ares yet.

...I can just enjoy what I have for the time being and not get so worried about what I want to come out and don't have offered by Ares yet.
    Good strategy.

Good strategy.
    I agree - I've more than enough to be going on with, and there are plenty of planes owned by myself and my friends which have yet to get an outing on the table - looks like it's soon to be their moment!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post

Mr Flibble says "game over boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOE7qTAK87o

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Mr Flibble says "game over boys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOE7qTAK87o
    Fantastic!
    I haven't seen any Red Dwarf in ages!

I read "A Higher Call" last week...I'm ready for Franz Stigler planes.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Franz Stigler (August 1915 - March 2008) became famous for not shooting down the Boeing B-17F 'Ye Olde Pub' as it returned from Bremen damaged during 1943.

Was 'A Higher Call' written by Charles 'Charlie' Brown by any chance please? Going to see if I can read that myself if so

Franz Stigler (August 1915 - March 2008) became famous for not shooting down the Boeing B-17F 'Ye Olde Pub' as it returned from Bremen damaged during 1943.

Was 'A Higher Call' written by Charles 'Charlie' Brown by any chance please? Going to see if I can read that myself if so
    See the Book Review: WGSA - Higher Call
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

An outstanding read on every level, I will be making one of all the planes in the book, including the Me 262 squadron . . .

I have a whole heap of unbloodied WW2 planes including my merit F4F's, FAA Skuas, and the big bombers. I cannot see myself running out of gaming options before the next Ares release

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I have a whole heap of unbloodied WW2 planes including my merit F4F's, FAA Skuas, and the big bombers. I cannot see myself running out of gaming options before the next Ares release
    Merit Models ... 1/200 Scale plastic with landing gear down / no stand so I am beginning to understand.

What are these actually like detail / quality-wise please? Also may I ask what aircraft types Merit manufacture ... If recommended and available in the UK I may get some of these for use as 3D Scenery.

Merit Models ... 1/200 Scale plastic with landing gear down / no stand so I am beginning to understand.

What are these actually like detail / quality-wise please? Also may I ask what aircraft types Merit manufacture ... If recommended and available in the UK I may get some of these for use as 3D Scenery.
    When I bought mine I made the mistake of only ordering the F4F's. I should have ordered their Devastators and the Dauntless dive bombers, because honestly the quality is just about as good as the Ares ones. What you do not get of course is the bases and cards. They also do the B25 in their blister packs. http://merit-intl.com/meritnew/index...ts&scale=1/200

Of course if you splashed out for the Merit USS Hornet kit you would get 16 B25's, 5 F4F's, 5 SBD's and 8 TBD's as well as an aircraft carrier to fly them from. Tad on the expensive side but you do get 34 planes to add to your collection.

PS. Mistake just rectified. Ordered the 4 Dive Bombers and 4 Torpedo Planes. $56 AUD for the lot including postage.
    Last edited by Baxter; 08-25-2015 at 19:06.

Got mine from http://www.spruebrothers.com/. Great little planes , Decals included and easy to adapt to a stand. Cards for the Dauntless and Devastor available in the files section.
    Well worth getting.
    Paul

1) I thought the Merit planes looked good, miscmini is doing some custom paints on a few for me.

2) "A Higher Call was NOT written by Charlie Brown, but by a guy who does a magazine. It was a fantastic read.

3) David - I can't wait to see the planes from the book. I got an itch to get ME109's in White 12 & White 3!

Here are a trio of My Merit Dauntlesses done out in British insignia.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 12:53
  3. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  5. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:39