Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Over?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Does anybody stock Merit models in the UK please? Dauntlesses ... Devastators ...

Liking the sound of this a lot especially for some 3D Scenery and painting projects. Feeling an urge at the moment to get my paints out and do some customizing. These would be perfect!

Just looking at this tread. A HIGHER CALL was written by Adam Makos with Larry Alexander. I thought it was a great read. For those of you that may watch the TV show NCIS there was an episode where Gibb's dad was on his way to see a friend. I remember the show because he was stopped in Howard County MD and was at a HCPD station (I live in HC). The friend he was going to see was a German pilot who directed him (he was in a P-51) in the right direction to get back to England. When I saw this show I knew it was based on the book.

I asked this question about the WGS before. It was announced over 18 months ago what the next series would be but nothing since then. They are putting out a number of other board/mini games.

I have the Merit planes and they look good. For those of you interested check out the 1/144 section. Rich S. turned me on to the 1/144 WWII planes and we have had a number of great games he has run. (see Guns of August).

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    I read "A Higher Call" last week...I'm ready for Franz Stigler planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    1) I thought the Merit planes looked good, miscmini is doing some custom paints on a few for me.

2) "A Higher Call was NOT written by Charlie Brown, but by a guy who does a magazine. It was a fantastic read.

3) David - I can't wait to see the planes from the book. I got an itch to get ME109's in White 12 & White 3!
    Gentlemen,
    If you paint up any planes for the "Higher Call" story, there are cards... (Link: The Warrior Code - an Act of Chivalry Forms a Bond)
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

"Scenario Victory Condition: The German player must resist the temptation to shoot down the US bomber until the bomber exits the playing field...."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

We will have to work out what Damage Tokens and Chits the Boeing B-17F involved in such a scenario starts it off with.

'Ye Olde Pub' was on her way back from Bremen in 1943 when this encounter took place and was limping home at a relatively low altitude. The Axis fighter begins the scenario with zero Damage Tokens and Chits so I understand.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Everyone

I know it sounds a little generic but it also sounds like WGS is alive and well in the eyes of Ares Games. Last week I e-mailed Ares about a WGS product enquiry ... Here is what they have just sent back to me:

Dear Barnaby,

thanks for the nice words! We definitely have more WW2 miniatures in the works. Stay tuned, as our upcoming wave (including beloved planes such as the Thunderbolt, the Dauntless, and Bf-109K) will be announced soon.
    All the best,
    Roberto

So rather than the wholesale withdrawal from supporting WGS it sounds as if we are indeed back to the broken record-style saga as to those brand new WGS releases
    Last edited by Tonx; 08-29-2015 at 10:28. Reason: E-Mail Update.

Based on this thread it seems like I will be using my money for other adventures for at least the next six months since the Pacific planes are what I am holding out for.

Scott, Jugs, SBDs and D4Ys (3/4 of next series) were all PTO, as was the P-38 from the one after that.

If Ares asked me to restructure the line as I thought best, I'd focus each release on one specific aircraft type for each set and expand so the Big Six (US, Britain, Russia, Germany, Italy, Japan) each get a sculpt of that type for each "main" wave, then have a "fill-in" wave with odd types and other countries and a reprint wave before the next "main" set. Idea being that if you miss one offering you hopefully won't have to wait more than a few years before its turn's up again.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Scott, Jugs, SBDs and D4Ys (3/4 of next series) were all PTO, as was the P-38 from the one after that.
    Jugs as in the Republic P-47D Thunderbolt ... Served extensively in the ETO too especially the Razorback version. The fourth aircraft in the new releases was mentioned by Ares in my e-mail from them: The Messerschmitt Bf.109K

I think that the Douglas SBD-3/5 Dauntless has to be one of the most talked about aircraft on the Aerodrome IMHO.

Gamesquest on ebay sold me the Merit Dauntlesses, Devastators and Wilcats

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2914164679...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They might still have some.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Tim thank you for the heads up there. Just checked Gamesquest's e-bay listings and shop and can only find the Merit 1/200 Scale model of the USS Hornet in stock with them.

I may get in touch with them to see if these aircraft will be coming into stock again in the future - hopefully so. If not my best bet I have discovered is on E-Bay again but in Germany. There is a Seller with the Wildcats and Dauntlesses only in stock who I have bought from before.

That is encouraging news, Barnaby.

I bought mine from here

AUTOPARTSWA@GMAIL.COM

$28 for 4 Wildcats or Devastators and Dauntlesses. You could always email them and ask if they ship internationally. There was no cost to ship to an Aussie address.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    AUTOPARTSWA@GMAIL.COM
    Thank you Gary I'll give them a try and ask if they ship to the UK.

I have also emailed Gamesquest to ask if any Merit 1/200 Scale WW2 aircraft will be returning to stock with them in the future: Currently awaiting answer still as today (Monday 31st August) has been a public holiday in the UK.

Particularly interested in the Grumman F4F Wildcats and Douglas SBD-3 Dauntlesses to use as 3D scenery in my WGS games as there is scope for repainting these aircraft types into Royal Navy FAA colours. Douglas TBD Devastators are low on my priorities list as the US Navy only ever operated these limiting their repaint and 3D scenery usage to Pacific War stuff ...

No worries Barn. I am not going to repaint mine as I reckon they look good as they are.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    No worries Barn. I am not going to repaint mine as I reckon they look good as they are.
    The decal options must include different Ident Numbers for the aircraft rather than just early war / late war insignia options. Had some positive news from Gamesquest in the UK today - Merit 1/200 Scale aircraft coming back into stock but they never said when exactly ...

They have pretty good decal options. I put up pics of the repainted plains (by user miscmini) in the Hobby shop --> Painting showcase. i got Devastators not Dauntless because that was in the book I was reading, probably should have gone Dauntless, but ...gives me something else to get.

Barnaby - you will note that my planes are historically inaccurate - the USS Bataan had only Hellcats & Avengers, but I have Devastators now w/ it's markings because that's the ship I wanted to honor.
    I have Avengers & Devastators for it..I will need some fighters soon. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 12:53
  3. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  5. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:39