Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Series of WGF new releases...

Default Next Series of WGF new releases...

Schemes:

Nieuport 11 -
    Yes you were right - we have De Turenne. The other two are Chaput and Ancillotto.
    Decks:
    I agree on V for the Strutter, and of course E for the Ni.11.
    XD can be a good replacement if you miss anything else, but as an official deck for the C.III I wll make a new one - a shorter version of the usual two-seater ones (H, K). Your notes are correct, but the XD has broader curves - 45° instead than 60°. I'd say that our C.III deserves 60° ones as the other two-seaters.
    Phoenix - still being worked on. Does anyone know of any other WWI aircraft that could do a controlled stall-dive?

I'd missed this... I like the Nieuport schemes!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Hmm, Chaput looks a bit dull, but De Turenne is a great choice - arguably the iconic Nieuport 11. Ancillotto is one of the plainer Italian machines, but ripe for repaints as a result....

Chaput is nice, as it gives us a Nieuport in French dark reddish-brown and green uppers and CDL or pale blue lowers.

Thanks for the info and images, Zoe!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Definitely a repaint friendly mix for a nice change.

Absolutely. Repaint-friendly and the 1-1/2 Strutter will include both Home Defense comic and standard two-seat versions... who'd have thought?

My favourite is Turenne's one. Thank you for posting, Zoe.

Do we know anything about the other three aircraft types (color schemes) in Series 9?
    Last edited by fast.git; 08-18-2015 at 08:37. Reason: Added "color schemes"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

You mean for the colour schemes? Not that I've heard, although as a betting man I'd view Bohme and Lademacher's mount as a nailed on certainty to be one of the Albatros C.IIIs....

“Dragodile” nose art? Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post

Decks:
    I agree on V for the Strutter, and of course E for the Ni.11.

Just asking, cause I assisted with unofficially expanding the Nieuport 11 maneuver deck here:
    Maneuver Deck Question

Should there be another deck for the Ni. 11?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Looking forward to these!
    Thanks for posting the profiles Zoe.

Nice...posting another teaser. I had to go and look at the series 9 thread again. They'll be here soon right?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

a controlled stall-dive?
    I have never come across a controlled stall-dive before: However I have recovered from plenty of stalls both incipient and developed during my flight-training. Stall recovery is important as an aircraft entering a stall is regarded as entering uncontrolled and uncoordinated flight. Have only ever undergone this flight training manoeuver in training category aircraft: Nothing bigger and certainly not in anything classified as transport category!

The only flight manoeuver I can think of which sounds even vaguely like what I am picturing here is commonly performed by the Sukhoi Su-27 and -33 jet fighters at air shows: the Hammerhead. But even during this the aircraft remains coordinated and the actual stall component of a Hammerhead is minimal before recovery is initiated. I could be wrong though - am prepared to learn on this one if so.

Barnaby, if you look through the thread named 'WGF: Series 9 lineup' under 'News and Announcements', in post #66 on page 2 you will find a reference to a controlled stall-dive. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-lineup!/page2

However, Oberst Hajj then started a separate Dive Thread. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...the-Dive-cards
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-19-2015 at 05:51.

The stall-dive consists of lowering the airspeed till there is insufficient lift to maintain altitude, but retaining control, so the aircraft descends sedately with low (marginally negative) Angle of Attack but at a very low speed. So it's emphatically not a full stall, just a slow semi-vertical descent.

Most aircraft can't do it, as if you raise the nose a tadge, a full stall happens, and thus an uncontrolled "fall out of the sky", tail-first if trimmed to be tail-heavy (very bad news), nose-first if you're lucky (regaining airspeed and recovering - if high enough), but most often at least the start of a spin. Only a very few aircraft were so spin-resistant at low speeds that control can be maintained.

In air combat, if you close the throttle, raise nose to dump airspeed, then put nose level and descend, any enemy tailing you will overshoot, as if they try going so slow, they'll stall and spin, and if descending like you, will go way over your speed.

Similar in concept to the "VIFFing" used by Harriers in 1983.

So far the only aircraft I've identified as using this maneuver in combat were Phoenix D.I and D.II. A Fokker D.VII used a similar maneuver, but maintained altitude while at very low speed and high AoA.

So far the only aircraft I've identified as using this maneuver in combat were Phoenix D.I and D.II. A Fokker D.VII used a similar maneuver, but maintained altitude while at very low speed and high AoA.
    So we can expect to see the stall without the steep notation card on the Phoenix like the Fokker DVII?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'd have thought something like a short dive card would be a better representation for it - it didn't maintain altitude like the D.VII, but rather could force an overshoot by someone diving after it.

How much altitude are we talking about? Enough for a full altitude level? Then yes, a stall length dive is the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I'd have thought something like a short dive card would be a better representation for it - it didn't maintain altitude like the D.VII, but rather could force an overshoot by someone diving after it.
    Interesting... that adds a little wrinkle.

For Phonix I would like to see Kurt Gruber, a Naval one and this guy.
    Name:  175_6.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  86.9 KB
    Last edited by john snelling; 08-24-2015 at 15:45.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    For Phonix I would like to see Kurt Gruber and this guy.
    Yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    For Phonix I would like to see Kurt Gruber and this guy.
    The Phoenix certainly has a gothic look.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thumbs up

Looking forward to this release especially the Comic Strutters although all the aircraft in the series will be great.
    The mottled Phoenix will be a nice complement to my Shapeways D.II in Naval Camo.

Name:  <acronym title=WSF Phoenix DII 2.jpg Views: 405 Size: 265.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WSF Phoenix DII 1.jpg Views: 430 Size: 214.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Nice kite!

I'm starting to get pumped about this series... wouldn't this make a wonderful Christmas/winter solstice/Boxing Day/New Years/3 Kings Day/etc. gift?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The Phoenix certainly has a gothic look.
    Karl
    i hope they choose this paintscheme! i love that skull and crossbones!

It's a corker, isn't it?

Love to have one of those in my hangar.

Turenne :
    Name:  Nieuport-11-Lt-Armand_de_Turenne-Escadrille-N48-sn-N1344-1916-600px.png
Views: 531
Size:  21.6 KB
    Oh my word that is BEAUTIFUL

Turenne :
    Name:  Nieuport-11-Lt-Armand_de_Turenne-Escadrille-N48-sn-N1344-1916-600px.png
Views: 531
Size:  21.6 KB

Chaput:
    Name:  057_Nieuport11_940_Chaput.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  17.4 KB
    Those I really like
    Ancillotto:
    Name:  IMG_4428.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  100.4 KB

TBone

Any idea on the release date?

Chris

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Not on the horizon yet - if I had to stick a pin in the calendar I'd guess at next spring. With the bombers due in a couple of months, and schemes and decks for S9 still under discussion, I certainly wouldn't expect it this year.

LOOP

I'd have thought something like a short dive card would be a better representation for it.
    I must ask a silly question.....
    The Phoenix will have 2 dive cards? One short and one long? Have I got it right?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

No idea - it was a mere suggestion in response to a discussion point, no more than that. Might be they do something completely different for it, or ignore it completely - that just seemed the best solution to me.
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-24-2015 at 07:56.

No idea - it was a mere suggestion in response to a discussion point, no more than that. Might be they do something completely different for it, or ignore it completely - that just seemed the best solution to me.
    Or stalls without being steep. Couple ways to go.

Here are some colourful Phonix D.I's.
    Name:  bfd585dfc642355a8625dc75b303edd0.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  21.5 KB
    I hope that a Swedish model will not be chosen because they were not involved in WW1 and the planes were not bought until postwar.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-24-2015 at 08:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Here are some colourful Phonix D.I's.
    Name:  bfd585dfc642355a8625dc75b303edd0.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  21.5 KB
    I hope that a Swedish model will not be chosen because they were not involved in WW1 and the planes were not bought until postwar.
    I think that is unlikely for even Ares, but.....
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Let's not tempt fate though (he types, looking at a pile of Sopwith Snipes that will certainly need repainting if they're ever going to get sold....)

recent events should provide encouragement for that course of action, though.........................

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

You're not wrong there, although Snipes are always a gamble as a seller - Camels are a safer bet....

Let's not tempt fate though (he types, looking at a pile of Sopwith Snipes that will certainly need repainting if they're ever going to get sold....)
    My third choice will be the Naval one.
    I do not know what their thought pattern is. I would not include a repaint of any of the aircraft because the guys that buy already have one.

LOOP

There was some discusions aboute this earier here on the Drome and, if I remember it correctly, Andrea was thinking aboute putting in a short (stall) dive.
    But there ought to be a normal dive too. But that is just my humble opinion...
    Last edited by LOOP; 08-25-2015 at 06:25.

LOOP

We will have to wait and see

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Oh yes, there's no question about it having a normal dive - that's a dead cert - the "we'll see" is whether it gets the short one too.

LOOP

Oh yes, there's no question about it having a normal dive - that's a dead cert - the "we'll see" is whether it gets the short one too.
    That was the silly question earlier

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Ahh, because you asked "will it have two dive cards?" I thought you were asking about the possible stall dive being in there - I didn't realise you were asking if the stall dive would replace the normal one. That's a definite no by my reckoning - *if* there's a stall dive, then it will be as well as, not instead of.

Question

So do we have any pics of what the Strutters will look like yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    So do we have any pics of what the Strutters will look like yet?
    I don't think so... I know we're getting a Home Defense comic, and the remaining two are of the more standard two-seat configuration. Though boring (what can I say, I'm a fan of PC10), I'd be happy with something like any of these:

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'd not be surprised if the Comic is that very one - it's definitely the best known example. For the 2-seaters I'd have thought a 3 Wing one (either the one you've pictured or Collishaw's 9407, like as not) is more or less a certainty to be one of them. The other could be a wild card though - besides other British units, both in CDL and PC10, Strutters were used heavily by the Belgians, a bit by the Russians, and in huge numbers by the French - I'm usually rather Anglocentric in my preferences, but there's a very good case to be made for a French machine in there....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Trumpeter future releases
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 06:10
  2. What we know about future releases
    By Dan-Sam in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 04:50
  3. New WOG Releases
    By armstrongjohn1 in forum Officer's Club