Ares Games

Thread: Has anyone seen these in the flesh let alone own them?

Default Has anyone seen these in the flesh let alone own them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20150817_210254.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	173629

I've managed to obtain, over time all the Spits but this one. Same for the 109. The other two????
    Owners stand up and make us all jealous.

If these are the planes from the Deluxe set, I picked one up (whole Deluxe set!) last year at the Fall In flea market. I never thought I'd ever even see a set never mind obtain one.

Might want to look at the Aerocrafts Spitfires made by the late Leighton Fletcher. I believe Leighton made every single mark of the Spitfire - many in a choice of flight attitude versus gear down. Beautifully made aircraft, which Leighton crafted in a very unusual fashion. He built up the model with Miliput epoxy putty over a rough armature, eventually engraving the panel details, etc. in a thin final layer. Leighton was also a brilliant caster, doggedly insisting on every model being casted fully assembled and ready to paint. When he handed me a copy of our HBM Gloster Gladiator with all of the gear, struts, top wing, etc. in place I was truly awed. I could attempt that only with lost wax casting. There are many wonderful Leighton stories about. My favorite was during his RAF days during the Suez Crisis. He allegedly buzzed a US DD closely enough that the future 1:200 collector Dan K., then a naval ensign, was nearly tipped into the sea. When they met years later 50% of the participants thought it terribly funny. The other 50% immortalized the incident in his (barely) disguised published memoirs.

Ron

Ron

Now there's a series in itself just waiting to be re released, no repaints etc reqd at all.

I have all 4, 3 times each, owing to owning 3 Deluxe sets.
    I've also got a 4th Bf 109 "Pankratz", bought as a stand-alone on ebay.
    My 4th "Wright" Spitfire I sold to Chris (Boney10)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0365.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	173634

Blimey, you got em all then, no wonder there's none out there. How on earth did you find them!

ebay!

I trawl it every day, and one of those sets I was the only bidder!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Tim if you trawl E-Bay every day I am glad that your patience and dedication is paying off. A good example of seek and you shall find ...

I think that out of all of these four I have only ever seen the Wright Edition Spitfire Mk I. Which I sadly is not due to it currently being in my collection! Would love to get my hands on one of these Wings of War starter sets as well as the Wings of Glory starter set as that too contains four exclusive Miniatures which are not available elsewhere.

Cannot list which Editions they are from memory but the Wings of Glory WW2 starter set quartet consists of a Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II / Reggia Aeronautica ... Kawasaki Ki-61-I-KIAC Hien / Japanese markings ... Curtis P-40E Warhawk / French markings and the Yak-1 / Russian markings. Of these I have only ever seen the Curtis P-40E Warhawk and Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien in the flesh. The only problem for me with the acquisition of any of these aircraft as standalone miniatures is the way that they are most likely to come unboxed as split from a set. I do not own a carry-case for my collection yet and it may be some time still before I am able to afford a decent one.

If you find the Barnaby, I'll ship you the Deluxe Edition "hangars" for the aircraft.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    If you find the Barnaby, I'll ship you the Deluxe Edition "hangars" for the aircraft.
    Thank you Christopher

But I have to find them first ... I think what I am probably best off doing is completing my current venture into WW2 / WGS Wings of War dive-bombers as by the looks of Junkers Ju-87s currently this could get both hairy and pricey!

Should we reach my 50th Birthday and I have still not found these I will buy you a of whatever you are drinking to remember this kind offer

I bought a deluxe WW2 starter set 'way back' when they first were issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I bought a deluxe WW2 starter set 'way back' when they first were issued.
    As did I. In fact, I bought both editions... although my 1st Edition is Italian. Further evidence that Wings of War/Glory is a truly universal language.

I'm one of the lucky ones.
    Me also

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Tim if you trawl E-Bay every day I am glad that your patience and dedication is paying off. A good example of seek and you shall find ...

the Wings of Glory WW2 starter set quartet consists of a Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II / Reggia Aeronautica ... Kawasaki Ki-61-I-KIAC Hien / Japanese markings ... Curtis P-40E Warhawk / French markings and the Yak-1 / Russian markings.
    Picked up one of these Starter sets on ebay last month. An eclectic mix of planes, but I needed the set to round out my collection

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Picked up one of these Starter sets on ebay last month. An eclectic mix of planes, but I needed the set to round out my collection
    I never saw this appear on E-Bay and one of my searches is Wings of Glory Starter Set - oh my days!!!

The same goes for me: These four are the final Ares Games WW2 / WGS I need to complete my collection as well. About two months ago there was an abortive instance of me thinking I had got hold of them after Wayland Games advertised the WW2 Starter Set on their website which I therefore ordered and Paypalled them for. Gordon Bennett thinks me - this is a dream come true and with free postage on items over Ł50.00 too ...

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a cynic and within five days was thinking that this was too good to be true ... Which it was when I phoned them: They had advertised an item that was not in stock but which could be ordered in from Spain instead. When they told me this I was aware of how at the time Wings of Glory was about to be released in Spain but not yet. So I left it another five days before contacting them again at which point they told me the truth. The item was unavailable ... At least for Paypal payments the refund process was quick and after just 24 hours (this can take up to three working days) I received my money back. But what a waste of time and space this episode was!

A month before all this rubbish went off I was aware of somebody I know seeing the WW2 Starter Set as available on Amazon but from a seller in Italy. This was the Italian Edition with the rulebook in Italian and everything but it still contained the aircraft. I think the price-tag was EUR 67.00 ... They passed up on it and by the time I got to know about this WW2 Starter Set it had disappeared from there. Never to return to date ...

I never saw this appear on E-Bay and one of my searches is Wings of Glory Starter Set - oh my days!!!
    Just PM'ed you, Barney.

I gave up on Wayland Games long ago - always listing items they don't have in stock!

IGUK seem to have cleaned up their act, but the best service I have had from internet seller companies is from FRANCE! (hate to say it, but it's true) - ludibay and ludikbazaar have both been great!

...but the best service I have had from internet seller companies is from FRANCE! (hate to say it, but it's true) - ludibay and ludikbazaar have both been great!
    Totally. They hooked me up with a couple copies of Flight of Giants & Dawn of War. Great prices, and reasonable shipping.
    Last edited by fast.git; 08-18-2015 at 18:44.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just PM'ed you, Barney.
    Thank you Sir

I gave up on Wayland Games long ago - always listing items they don't have in stock!

IGUK seem to have cleaned up their act, but the best service I have had from internet seller companies is from FRANCE! (hate to say it, but it's true) - ludibay and ludikbazaar have both been great!
    I agree Tim.
    I got my replacement balloon set for the one I melted, and an FoG from ludibay.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

On an old subject, do we or do we not have a ready made Battle of Britain duel pack ready made and waiting in these figures. Just re print, no changes, rules, chits and box. Surely could have been out for the commemorations. Also another one for VJ day. What missed opportunities to have got more players in the game....

Gotta agree with you there Tim.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I think that out of all of these four I have only ever seen the Wright Edition Spitfire Mk I. Which I sadly is not due to it currently being in my collection! Would love to get my hands on one of these Wings of War starter sets as well as the Wings of Glory starter set as that too contains four exclusive Miniatures which are not available elsewhere.

Cannot list which Editions they are from memory but the Wings of Glory WW2 starter set quartet consists of a Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II / Reggia Aeronautica ... Kawasaki Ki-61-I-KIAC Hien / Japanese markings ... Curtis P-40E Warhawk / French markings and the Yak-1 / Russian markings. Of these I have only ever seen the Curtis P-40E Warhawk and Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien in the flesh. The only problem for me with the acquisition of any of these aircraft as standalone miniatures is the way that they are most likely to come unboxed as split from a set. I do not own a carry-case for my collection yet and it may be some time still before I am able to afford a decent one.
    Try here http://www.ludibay.net/advanced_sear...7p15&x=11&y=13

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    On an old subject, do we or do we not have a ready made Battle of Britain duel pack ready made and waiting in these figures. Just re print, no changes, rules, chits and box...
    I don't know for certain, but I can only assume that manufacturing a product such as this would either be more complex/costly that is worthwhile, or that it would conflict with something Ares has planned... whether in terms of release schedule or future products.

I would expect we'd have seen something like this if production were easy, inexpensive, and hassle-free.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

On an old subject, do we or do we not have a ready made Battle of Britain duel pack ready made and waiting in these figures. Just re print, no changes, rules, chits and box. Surely could have been out for the commemorations. Also another one for VJ day. What missed opportunities to have got more players in the game....
    In economics this is termed Opportunity Cost ... In this case it is more like Opportunity Lost.

I hadn't thought about Ares releasing a Pacific War reprint / duel set to commemorate VJ Day this year - what a great suggestion but also there is another example of the above!

This is encouraging news about these websites from France: I will take a look at these and see what is available regarding Wings of War ...

Also intrigued to see how I have not been the only person who has been messed around by Wayland Games in the past. I have never used IGUK - only ever bought online from the very excellent AA and from a couple of E-Bay retailers based in the UK.

I am also one of the lucky ones I managed to get 2 sets from EBay before they became expensive

My first port of call is usually Dom Skelton.

Then ludibay or ludikbazaar

Keith is great too, at Aerodrome accessories, but runs the risk of Customs charges.

IGUK are customs free for me, but seldom have multiple planes for comparable prices to everyone else's "sales" (NO, I did NOT mention SAILS!!!).

Having said all that, I have just placed another order with Miniature Market!

Blimey, you got em all then, no wonder there's none out there. How on earth did you find them!
    I just bought a deluxe set a couple months ago from a guy on boardgamegeek.com for $50. I haven't seen if there are anymore, but it might be worth checking out