Ares Games

Thread: Show off your models

Default Show off your models

Con's and game nights can be great fun, but the exposure to the remainder of the human race is about zilch. We need to create more opportunities to recruit new builders, players and collectors. Keep your eyes open for town and school events that actively encourage "show and tell". Here are some shots from our town's summer picnic. Authors, hobbyists, crafters, entrepreneurs, etc. were asked to bring displays. Weybridge being a small town, I had other responsibilities (pie judge, erecting tents, etc.). Thus I literally grabbed some boxes and extemporized. It was definitely worthwhile. People find interesting things interesting! I was sandwiched between a decoy carver and a yarn spinner/dyer. Fun!

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weybridge Show and Tell.jpg   1:200 at Town Picnic.jpg   Ron expounds.jpg   New HBM 1:200.jpg   WWII Midget Subs 1:200.jpg  

1:200 NATO ID Set.jpg  

Oooh! Neat Idea!

I will have to look into this option. I have some paper planes, and Canadian repaints that might fit into this type of venue.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

How much did it cost you for the table tent space?

Great idea. We usually are just preaching to the choir so getting out into a totally different atmosphere has potential for finding new recruits to our madness!

Table cost was zero. However, as a volunteer firefighter I did get to help transport, put up, and return the tables, chairs, and smaller pop-up tents. We think of it as having an intimate picnic for a few hundred close friends

Ron

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Ron. What a fantastic range of models you have: I can understand why you are so enthusiastic about displaying them. Especially liking the modern military hardware you have in your showcase ... Especially the Boeing E-3 Sentry / AWACS and the jaw-dropping Boeing B-52 Stratofortress.

Until recently I was staging WW2 / WGS Public Demonstration Days at my FLGS but these have had to take a break temporarily. But hopefully not for long. Anyway here is what I have to contribute to this thread - a good way to show off some models. The following photo is what I call My Favourite View From The Office as I work from home. All I have to do is turn my chair around from sitting facing my PC and the following always makes me feel proud:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25. Favourite View From Office!.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	173623

I have a local Medieval Fayre which I have attended in period costume at a small stand, displaying a medieval war game with miniature figures - it gained a lot of attention.
    I never thought to try looking for a WW1 themed event to display WGF planes................
    Thanks for the idea; I'll have a mooch about.

Lightbulb

One avenue to watch out for is any School based WW1 Centennial events.
    I mounted a display at a local Museum who were hosting WW1 information days for local primary schools.
    This is a good way to spread the word to kids of a suitable age.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG display 1.JPG  Views: 21  Size: 103.0 KB  ID: 173642" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG display 2.JPG  Views: 22  Size: 156.7 KB  ID: 173643" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG display 5 dogfight.JPG  Views: 21  Size: 163.8 KB  ID: 173644" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Similar Missions

1. Zero & TV show
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 14:55
  2. BBC show
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 12:30
  3. New Show
    Replies: 3