Ares Games

Thread: Mission 14 Retrieve the spy. 52 Sq. Bulldogs.

Default Mission 14 Retrieve the spy. 52 Sq. Bulldogs.

The airfield was unusually quiet save for the sound of frantic work emanating from the hangers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2790861048_1264f254e9.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	173352

The Squadron had been taking quite a bashing recently as the Germans put up every machine they could muster to prevent the Allies spotting the new entrenchments of the Hindenburg Line being constructed some miles behind the current Front. Despite this attempt a few intrepid machines had returned with photographic evidence to show that something important was underway.

Name:	A00664.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	173353

The upshot of the matter is that a French Spy with vital information about the German intentions is trapped behind the new lines in the British Sector of the front.
    HQ in cahoots with Major Raymond of Intelligence have decided to dispatch a rescue mission to extract the spy before he can fall into enemy hands.
    To this end 52 Sq. The Bulldogs are to fly a two seater supported by two Scouts to get the spy out. A piece of cake with all the German Scouts tied up by the French.

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	173355

As dawn breaks over the lines a lone One and a half Strutter trundles its way towards the French Village where the spy is hidden. Lurking 1000 feet above and behind it are two Spad VIIs of the Bulldogs waiting for the inevitable German response.

Name:	IMG_0655.jpg 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	173354

Nor is it Long in coming, for as the Strutter starts its decent toward the village a trio of Albatros DIII aircraft emerge from the haze and dive towards the hapless two seater.

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	173356

Kyte in his Spad immediately starts to climb to intercept the attackers whilst new boy Ginger Hawkwood continues to cover the tail of Oliver Brownlow's Strutter as it descends.

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	173357

Hawkwood is first into action catching the leading Albatros before it can descend to the altitude of the Strutter. He immediately opens fire and damages the Hun's rudder.

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	173358

Turning behind the German he rips into the machine again, but as smoke starts to issue from its engine compartment his guns jam.

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	173359

Meanwhile, Kyte was opening his own account stooping upon a brown green and cream Albatros crossing his path.

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	173360

With on bust of his gun he set it smoking which rapidly transformed into fire licking along the side of the machine.

As the Sopwith lined up its landing approach with the village street one Albatros finally got into long range, but its shots went wide as the experienced Brownlow continued to descend.

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	173361

Kyte's adversary continued to burn.

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	173362

As it turned violently in an attempt to douse the flames he got another squirt at it, doing more damage to its structural integrity.

Name:	IMG_0669.jpg 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	173363

However yet another Albatros was lining up an attack upon Brownlow. the odds were starting to tell. Neither Kyte nor Hawkwood could be everywhere at once.

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	173364

As the Hun moved in for the kill, Brownlow put his machine into its final approach dive and thus dropped far below the enemy. Unable to dive quickly enough it was forced to pull out and go around for another circuit.

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	173365

Hawkwood seeing the danger now tried to support the Strutter, whilst Kyte continued to harry the burning machine.

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	173368

As Brownlow put his machine down the Albatros was still diving across his stern.

Name:	IMG_0672.jpg 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	173366

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	173367

Name:	IMG_0676.jpg 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	173371

Kyte homed in on the burning Albatros.

Name:	IMG_0677.jpg 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	173372

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	173370

Having made his landing Brownlow now taxied towards the figure running up the village street towards his aircraft.

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	173373

At long range Kyte opened up once more on the Burning Albatros.

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	173374

The spy now reached the Strutter and as he clambered aboard several villagers helped turn the Strutter ready for its take off.

Name:	IMG_0681.jpg 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	173375

Kyte was now forced to abandon his pursuit of the Burning DIII as another attacked him from the side.

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	173377

Kyte Immelmanned, but this only served to put him in an even worse position as the enemy came straight for him.

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	173376

It now started to chew up his Spad quite badly.

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	173378

Brownlow was in no better position as he strove for height after taking off. Despite the arrival of Hawkwood to defend him, the Albatros which had dogged his every move thus far was now low enough to deliver a strafing attack whilst the Strutter was gaining altitude but slowly.

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	173379

Having shaken his second adversary, Kyte was now intent on finishing the first machine, whose fire had now extinguished itself.

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	173380

Over the village Brownlow was in serious trouble. Hammered by the pursuing, Albatros his passenger was hit even before he could swing his Lewis into action, and Hawkwood was not yet in a position to retaliate.

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	173381

At the other end of the dog fight Kyte was in so much trouble that he had to invoke all his skills as a lucky git to avoid being seriously compromised. This was the first time he had ever needed to use this skill.

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	173382

With young Hawkwood played offside, the DII closed in on the goal that was Brownlow.

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	173383

Unfortunately for Brownlow so did two other Albatrii.

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	173384

Using all his piloting skills he slipped through the closing net with only superficial damage.

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	173385

Kyte now got back into the action, putting in a short burst before his gun jammed.

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	173386

However, the Strutter was still under the cosh as there were just too many enemy machines.

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	173387

Brownlow was now hit again and feeling a searing pain in his side, slipped into a merciful unconsciousness, as his Strutter side slipped, and cart-wheeled into the ground.

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	173388

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	173389

Having seen their comrade's demise, Kyte and Hawkwood threw caution to the wind, and attacked the Albatrii remorselessly, giving no consideration to their own mortality.

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	173390

Kyte was first to score, bringing down the machine which had been on fire.

Name:	IMG_0698.jpg 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	173391

Then Hawkwood Flamed his bird, before his guns jammed in their turn.

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	173392

As the fire took hold Hawkwood stuck to the DIII's tail like glue and toiled on restoring his gun to working order.

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	173393

Even when the burning Albatros turned and finally gave Hawkwood the slip, Kyte was on his wingman's shoulder to take up the chase.

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	173394

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	173395

The fire seemed to be petering out.

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	173396

Kyte, therefore, continued to follow the Hun machine down.

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	173397

The German aviator showed spirit, and whilst screwing about the sky to try and contain the fire, showed great skill in throwing Kyte off, whilst also getting a telling shot at Hawkwood, which disrupted his steering.

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	173398

With the fire finally petering out, he finally made off toward his own lines, whilst Kyte and Hawkwood took on the last of the enemy machines.

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	173399

Kyte got off the first round, but Hawkwood literally ripped the enemy aircraft to bits, wrecking the engine in the process, totally undaunted that in it's death throes the German pilots return fire wounded the young Hawkwood and set his aircraft ablaze.

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	173400

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	173401

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	173406

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	173408

As Kyte and Hawkwood, banked away from the German machine blazing on the ground, young Hawkwood ruefully reflected on the fact that his very first kill may well turn out to be his last.

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	173407

The flames grew in intensity, and even as he threw his aircraft into a banking turn, and his Lambswool gloves started to smoulder, he knew that it would take a miracle to save him.

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	173409

His only recourse was to try to land, which he did, leaping from the plane, he threw himself to the ground as the aircraft was engulfed in a ball of flame.

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	173410

The next thing he remembered was the sound of a dying Aero engine, and then Kyte calling his name. After that he fainted.

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	173411

The Butcher's Bill.

52 Sq. Bulldogs.

F.O. Kyte RTB. One Kill. Aircraft severe damage.
    2nd Lt.Hawkwood. Landed FT. Wounded. Aircraft written off.
    2nd Lt. Oliver Brownlow. SD Enemy territory. Wounded.
    French spy SD enemy territory wounded.

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	173412

The Kaiser's Eagles.

Two aircraft SD. One R.T.B.

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	173413

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Totally enjoyed the strong 'feel there' factor I sensed whilst reading this AAR and looking at the photos - brings the scenario to life

Ouch I thought that your outing was going much better than mine Rob, but the odds really told in the end.

Here's hoping the lads (and that critical info) manage to get back across the lines.

That was quite the bloody scrap!

3 kites of 6 lost, another forced down, and another likely a total loss... brutal. Neither side can easily sustain such rates!

Yes chaps.
    It looked like a piece of cake until the cards went bad on me. Then the one German who should have gone down on fire was the only one to get back to base.
    I'm worried about Hawkwood on his first mission because if he buys it from his wounds, in all the later war scenarios Kyte is flying with a ghost as his wingman.
    Rob.

WoW Rob. Your were Rob-bed there. Thought it was in the bag but it looks like your 3 aviators might be. Fingers crossed the dice come up all 6's.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm worried about Hawkwood on his first mission because if he buys it from his wounds, in all the later war scenarios Kyte is flying with a ghost as his wingman.
    Rob.
    Let's hope you have my luck with the die rolls for this one Rob - the cards were against me, but I did roll high for survival and E&E

We'll find out in a week or so !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Ye Gods Rob! That went to Hell on a slippery slide!
    One can only hope for good news about your pilots.

WALLOP ! That was quite a rip snorter Rob and not all the dice went the way of the Bulldogs !

2nd Lt.Hawkwood: Landed WIA - Rolled 5 -1WIA =4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios: Rolled 4 = Skip 4 (phew !)

2nd Lt. Oliver Brownlow: SD ET/ WIA / 0 Kills - Rolled 4 -1WIA -1SD = 2 KIA

French spy SD ET/ WIA / 0 Kills Rolled 6 -1WIA -1SD = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios: Rolled 4 = Skip 4
    E&E: Rolled 7 -1WIA -1BEL = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios - Rolled 5 = Skips 2 - Out a total of 6

Looks like leClerc survived the crash and managed to slip away - adept at living under the nose of the Huns the old fox has gone to ground - some weeks later word is later received via the French underground that he is severely injured but safe from facing a firing squad.

Yes chaps.
    It looked like a piece of cake until the cards went bad on me. Then the one German who should have gone down on fire was the only one to get back to base.
    Rob.
    That could be an interesting mission AAR

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Wow...that got brutal fast! Amazing that anyone survived!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    That could be an interesting mission AAR
    Well now that Flash has prognosticated, we will never know.
    Tough luck on Brownlow. I never have any luck with my 2 seater pilots. However, it does open a space for a new young chap called Nigel Bouncer-Smythe to take his place in the Squadron. I have a feeling that he may be somewhat more lucky than his predecessors.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    WALLOP ! That was quite a rip snorter Rob and not all the dice went the way of the Bulldogs !

Looks like leClerc survived the crash and managed to slip away - adept at living under the nose of the Huns the old fox has gone to ground - some weeks later word is later received via the French underground that he is severely injured but safe from facing a firing squad.
    Thank you very much for the hard work Dave.
    At least I only lost one chap permanently.
    I understand that Brownlow's replacement is a young chap called Nigel Bouncer-Smythe.
    No empty chairs says the CO.
    Rob.

Sorted - Uncle has bunked him in with young Carton for now

Great action AAR, Rob.
    Unfortunately for the Eagles, a lot of smoked bratwurst ....

I like your backdrop for the photos. I had thought of trying to do something like that myself.

Name:	Temp.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	173752

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sorted - Uncle has bunked him in with young Carton for now
    Thanks again sir.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great action AAR, Rob.
    Unfortunately for the Eagles, a lot of smoked bratwurst ....

I like your backdrop for the photos. I had thought of trying to do something like that myself.

Hi Pete.
    It's just a cloud cardboard sheet from our Art shop with railway scenery glued to it.
    Rob.

Nice AAR with excellent commentary and photos.

Hi Pete.
    It's just a cloud cardboard sheet from our Art shop with railway scenery glued to it.
    Rob.
    I decided to try a quick one - found a jpg online and printed it off.
    I will definitely try this with something more permanent.

Name:	DSCN9304.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	173756
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN9301.jpg  

Enjoyed this AAR a lot. As always well done and interesting .

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I decided to try a quick one - found a jpg online and printed it off.
    I will definitely try this with something more permanent.

Name:	DSCN9304.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	173756
    Looks fine to me in the photo Pete. Blends in very well.
    Rob.

Late to the party... another nice AAR Rob. The retrieval didn't go so smoothly but the Hun did pay a price. Good thing Ginger made it..If Kyte hadn't landed to help him...?

Thanks Peter.
    I feel that the relationship between Kyte and ginger will blossom in the coming months should they both survive.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTED Mission 14 - Flash Retrieves the Spy - 14th February 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 10:36
  2. AAR OTT Early Doors Mission 14--Retrieve the Spy---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 10:22
  3. BRF OTT Early Doors mission 14 - 14th February 1917--Retrieve the Spy!
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-10-2015, 11:37
  4. OTTED Mission 14 - February 14th 1917 - Retrieve the Spy !
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2015, 06:18
  5. AAR OTTED Mission 14 Retrieve the spy
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 06:58