Ares Games

Thread: RAF Goxhill Tower being reassembeled in Virginia!

Lightbulb RAF Goxhill Tower being reassembeled in Virginia!

The Military Aviation Museum has started the job of reassembling RAF Goxhill control tower. From a pile of recovered bricks, metal and metal window frames the tower is taking shape. The tower was purchased and deconstructed with the idea of some day reassembling it on the MAM grounds. With a completion date of next May in time for the WW2 air show.
    This is the second historic building at the MAM. The museums WW2 German collection is displayed in the Cottbus Hangar. Originally built in 1936 at Cottbus Army Airfield southeast of Berlin. Designed by WWI flying ace Gotthard Sachsenberg as easily assembled and disassembled hanger. It was purchased and moved here, now restored.

Rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Goxhill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8030032.jpg   P8030056.jpg   P8030035.jpg   P8030024.jpg   P8030033.jpg  

P8030036.jpg   P8030034.jpg  

What a great project! I think a little pilgrimage might be in order. Next May, you say?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by LTJG NSCC View Post
    What a great project! I think a little pilgrimage might be in order. Next May, you say?
    Goxhill - as in North Lincolnshire / North East Lincolnshire? If so this is definitely worth a pilgrimage to go and see once assembled at the MAM

What an interesting story - I wonder why Goxhill was chosen?

Thumbs up

Joe

That it is! The MAM is a one of a kind museum. It has a collection of WW2 and reproduction WW1 aircraft that are 98% airworthy. This on it`s own private grass strip airport. It has two main events the WW2 airshow in May and the upcoming WW1 airshow in October. Both are great events with the collection in the air and period reenactors and live period entertainment.
    The museum de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito just took Grand Champion at Oshkosh! It also earned a Golden Wrench award for the team that restored her in New Zealand! Here are two links one the museums home page and the second to the Facebook page of the Fighter Factory. The FF is the restoration and maintenance wing of the MAM, with their own hanger and professional staff.

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/about.html

https://www.facebook.com/FighterFactory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8030001.jpg  

Thumbs up

Barnaby

That is great question. The museums owner only knows. I have a felling the Cottbus hanger was up for demo and perhaps so was Goxhill. As you can see from the photos it was in bad shape. I did find this on YouTube.

Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLwcXXj2VE

Very interesting footage Richard. Plenty of scope for Aerodrome modelling there.
    Also the later part of the film covers my neck of the woods Derby and Mansfield.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great to see the building being re-used, rather than just discarded.

Rob

I found it very interesting! Not just the base footage, but the ferry footage was unexpected!

Rich

Thumbs up

Thats great work & dedication by the Museum to transport all the bricks & other bits from the UK.
    Great to see such historic artefacts preserved.

its really cool to see such lengths taken to preserve history

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Nice to see - I used to pass Goxhill from time to time in my youth (it's practically next door to Thornton Abbey, which was a favoured picnic spot in my childhood) so it's particularly pleasing to see that one chosen.

Thanks for the news Rich. Another new thing to see at the WWII show. See you in a few weeks.

Joe
    A trip to either show---WWI or WWII--- is well worth it. I have been going to the shows for the last 4 years and always there is something new to see. Another plus is you get to meet some of the folks that are here.

Thanks, I'll be keeping it in mind!

Similar Missions

1. Baltimore-Washington Virginia: Northern Virginia and Charlottesville areas
    By WWIflyingace in forum US Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 00:53
  2. National: Virginia - Virginia Beach
    By estrongblade in forum US Wing
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 14:00