Ares Games

Thread: GottaCon is gone!

Default GottaCon is gone!

Unless something miraculous happens between now and March 2016, GottaCon is gone.

Officially 3600+ people attended GottaCon 2015, and Wings of Glory did get lots of exposure.

However, the organizers of GottaCon have run into one too many challenges, and decided to close it down. If you're interested in the decision making process, you can see the announcement here: www.gottacon.com.

So, I don't have to go through the anguish of rationalizing the expense of a convention appearance in Victoria next year.

Perhaps, I could start working on the business plan for attending Enfilade 2016, in May?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Or maybe you should join us at Origins in June in Ohio, Mike!!

Sorry to hear your 'local' Con decided to fold - makes it hard to proselytize and convert when such things happen....

That will just give you more time for Skype games and card design, right?!

Hang in there in the Great White Northwest...

All the best,
    Matt

I, my brother and a long-time friend attended ORIGINS 2015 ... first time for me.
    We over-dosed on WoG (WWI) and a couple of other games (all minis too).
    The Buckeye Gamers, Keith from the Aerodrome website, Neil from Old Blighty, and the people from Ares were outstanding hosts and became soon-met good-friends.
    So Mike, if you feel in need of an away trip, I too recommend ORIGINS and the Columbus Ohio area ... great B&Bs too ... and pubs.

GottaCon in Victoria is a three hour drive to the southern tip of Vancouver Island, so not really local. But, I was desperate to generate opponents.

InCONcv 2015 is this weekend (8 & 9 Aug), and I'm the Demo Game Coordinator for the con. It is truly in my back yard, and I will be busy all week setting up, and weekend running Wings of Glory games, at this event. With Ares Games providing awesome prize support, it will be a lot of fun!

Origins is on my bucket list, but if the $500 for transportation, hotel and food in Victoria is hard to manage, Columbus, Ohio is a bit more of a financial reach. I wouldn't mind the expense, but the mini budget isn't that big.

Enfilade 2016, in Olymipa, Washington, might squeek back into the plan, though.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Perhaps it's time for a Canadian Lend-Lease participant!!!???

All the best,
    Matt

So sorry Gottacon is gone, Mike.
    I hope you manage to recruit plenty of opponents this weekend.

So sorry Gottacon is gone, Mike.
    I hope you manage to recruit plenty of opponents this weekend.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Very sorry to hear this news about GottaCon. I empathise with how frustrated and disappointed this demise has left you feeling ...

Until two months ago my FLGS opened late on Wednesday nights for a Gaming Night. This arrangement folded very suddenly during June 2015 and left me feeling just as saddened and disappointed as it was turning into an excellent night for playing WW2 / WGS interspersed with WW1 / WGF on a semi-frequent basis. Finding a replacement gaming night to go and play as regularly as I was doing has proven to be a struggle with the nearest which actually encourages brand new members with new games to their credit being a 25 minute drive away. Now I don't drive due to disability but the Wife does. This adverse change has of course had an impact on our playing careers (as the Wife plays too) which I one day hope will be rectified. Glad to see that you did what I did in response to this change and introduced it to the Aerodrome. Where Members are already coming in with helpful and encouraging suggestions as to how you may be able to fill the GottaCon hole. I hope that you are able to one day

Don't Give Up

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: GottaCon 2015 - 27 Feb - 2 Mar 2015
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 13:03