Ares Games

Thread: Latest wargames illustrated

Default Latest wargames illustrated

Anyone else read this, several articles of interest including one chap who plays WGF in 1/72 scale. Worth a quick read.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thank you for the heads up. I will look for this next time I am in my local WH Smiths as playing WW1 / WGF in 1/72 scale sounds intriguing.

I'm currently trying to picture how big the manoeuver cards must be and what size of gaming environment must be required for this. All I know is that with a collection of 1/72 WW2 aircraft upstairs in my attic compared with playing Wings of Glory WW2 / WGS the size of manoeuver cards required would take up the entire attic just to play one game! But at least I would be able to play with several versions of the Messerschmitt Bf.109 rather than the extremely pricey ones seen on E-Bay / the ones ARES continue to promise us will be released in the future ... only for them never to appear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Anyone else read this, several articles of interest including one chap who plays WGF in 1/72 scale. Worth a quick read.
    Thanks for posting this - I don't subscribe to any wargames magazines any more, so I always miss interesting articles like this one.
    Time to dig out my 1/72 scale biplanes!

Thanks for the heads up - I'll keep an eye out when I'm next in the newsagents

The first game of Wings of War I ever played was in 1/72, at Colours some years ago.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just been looking online to see if any links were available to these articles for those who are unable to buy WI in their local newsagents. But alas I could not find anything.

The theme of the current issue of WI appears to be Death From Above with a number of the WW1 articles written by Nick Buxey. There is a name I have got a lot of respect for when it comes to and modelling in a variety of scales ...

Just as well I'll now be passing WH Smiths in Derby today now I have found the perfect excuse to divert D-> Intu Shopping Centre!

Likewise Nigel. I will pick one up when in Nottingham.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Glad you all like it, quite tempting I thought. He didnt go into if he modifies the cards at all but he does include a nice plug for the 'drome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. I will look for this next time I am in my local WH Smiths as playing WW1 / WGF in 1/72 scale sounds intriguing.

I'm currently trying to picture how big the manoeuver cards must be and what size of gaming environment must be required for this. All I know is that with a collection of 1/72 WW2 aircraft upstairs in my attic compared with playing Wings of Glory WW2 / WGS the size of manoeuver cards required would take up the entire attic just to play one game! But at least I would be able to play with several versions of the Messerschmitt Bf.109 rather than the extremely pricey ones seen on E-Bay / the ones ARES continue to promise us will be released in the future ... only for them never to appear!
    This has come up a few times in the last 5 years; there is a group (non-Drome) that plays with 1/72nd die cast planes. I've toyed in the past with using my 72nd scale WW2 from my M&M days with WGS.
    The advice I received has been to up the cards by 50%. The bigger issue is the size of the base (hence card) that provides enough stability. That and playing area.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Sorry chaps, can't say I was overly impressed with either article TBH.

I too started with 1/72 aircraft back in 1977, using Paragon's Aerial Dogfight Rules. Ah, the joy of manoeuvring planes attached to six-foot tall dowel stands, trying not to knock one over and causing a domino effect.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Must echo Steve's sentiment, had a quick browse in WH saw the articles and just didn't flip my switch. Nicely written and presented and nice models just didn't inspire me enough to buy the magazine.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The first game of Wings of War I ever played was in 1/72, at Colours some years ago.
    Likewise (although for me it was at Triples) planes were on telescopic car aerials for height - I loved it but only managed to play twice although I was always looking out for it at shows, then I ran into Rob and a few of the chaps (also at Triples) playing this smaller version.... and the rest is history

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. The Three Best Wargames you've ever played
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 13:50
  2. N. England & Scotland Teeside Wargames Convention
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 01:06
  3. WGFB: Red Baron, The Illustrated
    By 7eat51 in forum Book Reviews