Ares Games

Thread: More than just a walk in the park.

Default More than just a walk in the park.

Any takers for this stunt chaps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-33757603

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

What a unique way to celebrate your birthday ... Good on this Gentleman

I think the biplane used is a Boeing Stearman but I could be wrong - it's a two-seater anyway.

An interesting way how to feed pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post

I think the biplane used is a Boeing Stearman but I could be wrong - it's a two-seater anyway.
    Well spotted Barney.
    It says something to that effect somewhere in the blurb.
    Rob.

Wow. Not for me though- I prefer playing with toy biplanes not standing on the wings of real ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned2 View Post
    Wow. Not for me though- I prefer playing with toy biplanes not standing on the wings of real ones!
    Agreed!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I personally would prefer to do this over a skydive ... Problem is with me being 6 ft (180 cms) in height / 16 stone (245 lbs) in weight this would probably disallow me from being able to partake in such a stunt

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    I personally would prefer to do this over a skydive ... Problem is with me being 6 ft (180 cms) in height / 16 stone (245 lbs) in weight this would probably disallow me from being able to partake in such a stunt
    John Weston had to lose 2 stones in weight before attempting the feat, and even then they were worried about the weight of his old WW2 Flying helmet which he wore for the stunt.
    Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Probably a Weight and Balance concern being a heavy object at the highest point on the aircraft ... But after one has lost two stone in weight in order to perform a Wing Walk I can imagine how unimpressed he would have been to discover that a flying helmet was of concern. However flying helmets of that genre are normally worn in the cockpit which is much closer to the aircraft's C of G or Centre of Gravity.

Weight = Arm x Momentum: All of which can be very delicately balanced and if interrupted / interfered with in flight the consequences can vary from the mind blowingly interesting to downright fatal. This explains why the regular Crunchie / Utterly Butterly Wing Walkers wear specially designed headgear for their protection instead of bog-standard crash helmets (way too heavy) ...

I can't believe the weight of a flying helmet had such an effect on whether or not the stunt could go ahead (a head, geddit?).
    It strikes me that this is likely just another example of the rubbish standard of reporting these days.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    (a head, geddit?)
    Liking that one very much

Seriously - no word of a lie. Sometimes weight and balance issues can be that delicate they generate some very pernickety issues as a result! This also sounds like a very cumbersome WW2 flying helmet which would also increase the amount of drag being generated by the wing walker's presence which must also be minimised during the flight. So it could be down to either of these reasons being so far upwards the natural C of G of the aircraft is also raised upwards generating a new set of arm / moment figures upon which the basic W & B calculations are made. Like a ship an aircraft can overbalance in flight particularly when performing the sort of stunts which are traditionally associated with wing walkers at air shows. Only aircraft do not have a plimsoll line to adhere to ...

Rather famously Juliet Morris of the BBC went Wing Walking for their coverage of the 1993 RIAT on BBC1 (same RIAT where the two MiG-29As collided as witnessed in person by myself!) During the stunt she was disallowed from wearing a head-camera unit which back in those days was a bit more cumbersome than they are now mounted upon a helmet for weight and balance reasons riding atop of a Boeing Stearman. As a result the footage of her during the stunt was shot from wing-level and though she tried to provide a running commentary of what was going on over 80% of it was barely understandable to completely inaudible.

The guy was waving his arm in the video - that would generate MUCH more balance disturbance than a heavy hat!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

As I mentioned weight and balance can generate some very pernickety issues surrounding why arm waving and standing with both arms outstretched is allowed by wing walkers despite the airflow disruption particularly associated with the arm waving action above the airframe. Yet introduce a heavy hat or oversized head-gear (like the 1993 example) to this equation and it is deemed too much in terms of both weight and drag ...

A second school of thought introduces the subject of severe or enduring neck-strain being inflicted upon the wearer of anything heavy or bulky on the head: As a result of the drag produced in the aircraft slipstream during the flight. Particularly if like Juliet Morris underwent the aircraft enters acrobatic (which I prefer to refer to as aerobatic) flight with a wing walker atop of it. The g-forces induced in a loop traditionally pull down upon the head and anything upon it whereas the slipstream would always be pulling back upon the head / any headgear being worn. A prolongued dose of this is liable to put an unprepared person into a neck-brace with severe or enduring neck-strain ... This I had not thought of before.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Agreed!
    Now if they were ships ....

Hmmm - wing walking with vertigo - not something I want to try, especially after eating

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Now if they were ships ....
    Wait For It ...

Until we get it here is a brief clue as to what I refer: Please rearrange to make a popular Aerodrome saying ...

SAILS!!! and NO

Also to the way wing walking with vertigo has reminded me of a ground school session two years ago when one of the trainee pilots involved made everyone laugh by confidently remarking that 'Vertigo is treatable if you use amphetamines!'

What he meant to say was antihistamines - such as Cetirizine Hydrochloride tablets ... But he made us all with that one!!!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    No thanks I prefer to sit in the plane
    I am with you on this one - after all we are talking about a ride in a Boeing Stearman which has aerobatic flight capability / approval!

Same sentiments as I have against skydiving ... About why I should ever feel the urge or the need to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft

Just like to say not all of us Leicestershire folks are this nuts! Congrates to him though.

Similar Missions

1. Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft
    By Goering Ace in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 11:17
  2. College Park Aviation Museum
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 12:18
  3. South Korean War Memorial aircraft park
    By Biggles downunder in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10