Ares Games

Thread: Airstrip dimensions

Question Airstrip dimensions

Does anyone have any information and reference about the typical/approximate dimensions of a WWI airstrip for fighter use? Google has availed me naught. I'm trying to find what size - just roughly - a normal grass strip airstrip would have been at a RFC or Luftstreitkraft airfield on the western front.

I have an idea for a mini-project in mind...

I have a copy of Airfields and Airmen of the Channel Coast. I'll have a flick through and see what ideas it gives. If you're going to be at Thornbury next Sunday, I can bring it with me.

- Neil.

You might be able to look at Stowe Maries and work it out from Google maps ?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You might be able to look at Stowe Maries and work it out from Google maps ?
    I'd given that a try actually - but the one thing it seems to be lacking is an obvious airstrip! It's surrounded by fields, one or more previously must have been the airfield, but sadly I can't figure out more from the satellite photos.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...ec2e4f0356ed71

I don't need anything exact - just a rough idea of how long a strip was.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilCFord View Post
    I have a copy of Airfields and Airmen of the Channel Coast. I'll have a flick through and see what ideas it gives. If you're going to be at Thornbury next Sunday, I can bring it with me.

- Neil.
    Thank you - that will be helpful. I'm definitely planning to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    I'd given that a try actually - but the one thing it seems to be lacking is an obvious airstrip! It's surrounded by fields, one or more previously must have been the airfield, but sadly I can't figure out more from the satellite photos.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...ec2e4f0356ed71

I don't need anything exact - just a rough idea of how long a strip was.
    Alex,
    You are looking for something that was never there. The open fields are all that a WWI aerodrome had. Improved, or tarmacked strips only came after WWI.

So, stop looking for a "conventional", modern airfield.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Oh, you meant runway dimensions, not the whole aerodrome. According to my book the only drome that anything approaching a traditional runway was Droglandt, which had runways made from ash and were conspicuous from the air. All the others were nothing more that fields big enough to land a plane in.

- Neil.

Alex,
    This might be of interest?

Link: www.theaerodrome.com - Takeoff and Landing
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Alex,
    You are looking for something that was never there. The open fields are all that a WWI aerodrome had. Improved, or tarmacked strips only came after WWI.

So, stop looking for a "conventional", modern airfield.
    No, I've been looking specifically for info for WWI strips, not paved or tarmacked ones.

There are lots of moderns grass strip airfields all over the place, but they're intended for modern light planes which - I expect - to have a longer take off and landing requirement than WWI biplanes, not to mention the legal requirements for extra runway length in case of emergency landings. Western front WWI strips would have been 'borrowed' fields mainly, but they'd still need to have been of at least a minimum size. The linked Aerodrome article - thanks for that - suggests distances between 300' and 700' for takeoff distances.
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 08-02-2015 at 12:25. Reason: Typo

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

In watching the planes land and take off for the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous at the US Air Force Museum, Alex, that length of 300 to 700 feet seems about right. Granted, they weren't loaded down with full fuel or ammo, but I was absolutely amazed at how quickly some of them got into the air (and by quickly, I mean how little 'run' they needed to get airborne...). And although they had plenty of concrete/tarmac flight line (enough for a B-17 to land on...), they were using the grass field between the runway and the museum buildings.

Good luck with your project, and make sure to post pics when it's done!

All the best,
    Matt

Similar Missions

1. Airstrip
    By blackhawkdown in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 14:51
  2. Dimensions in 1/144
    By flash in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 10:12