Ares Games

Thread: How do I start out?

Goggles24

Default How do I start out?

Hello all,
    I'm new to wings of glory and I was just looking for your opinions on how I should start out. Originally I was planning to just get one of the duel packs and start from there, but I read that it doesn't come with a full set of rules. Also I heard that the duel packs were more for people who want to just get a taste of it to see if they want to continue with the game. Being that I'm a huge fan of history and I love modeling and all that sorts of stuff, I've already predetermined that I'm going to stick with the game (how could I not, this looks awesome!). So here's my question, how do I go about getting setup? Should I get the WW1 rules and accessories pack and buy a couple planes in addition, or should I just start with the duel pack? And if I was to get to the rules and accessories pack what should my additional plane choices be?
    Any information would be awesome.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Goggles24; 07-30-2015 at 21:15.

The starter packs* give you an abridged version of the full rules - more than enough to get started.
    Like you I bought the starter pack, but I also picked up another dozen or so aircraft and the full rules and accessories pack.
    I then proceeded to acquire all the Ares planes (and some of the old Nexus craft to fill in holes) over the next 6 months or so.
    Hadn't even tried it yet! (but I knew I was gonna like it ...)

Print off the Solo Rules (card version) and you'll be good to go. Play a 0ne-on-one of two-on-two to get the feel and you'll be hooked.

My name is Pete and I'm a Wings of War addict.

* when I said starter pack I meant the dual pack - the one with the Albatross and SPAD
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 07-31-2015 at 07:58. Reason: clarification

Goggles24

Oops, I meant to say rules and accessories pack (that does not come with any planes), not starter pack. For whatever reason I cannot find any of the true starter packs that come with 4 planes AND rules anywhere online (brand new that is). And I'll definitely try solo play too but I do have a friend who is pretty much in the same boat as me so I'm somewhat speaking on his behalf too. We decided we were gonna try out wings of glory together so we'd always have someone to play with.
    Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Steven.

Starter Packs with a complete set of rules and 4 planes are no longer in production. They were produce by the original publishers of the game, Nexus. The game was originally called 'Wings of War'. The new publishers, Ares, changed the name to 'Wings of Glory' but it is the same game.

If you want the complete rules, you will need to buy the Rules and Accessories pack, which also includes control boards, damage decks and all the various counters needed to play the game. In addition, you will also need to buy at least two planes because the manoeuvre decks come with the planes. The Aerodrome Accessories shop (click on the link at the top of the page) is a good place to buy them but you can purchase them elsewhere, of course.

I suggest that you use your historical knowledge to buy planes initially from the same period of WW1. Start with some single-seaters and then, once you are familiar with the rules, expand into the two-seaters because they provide a greater variety of missions. How many models you and your friend buy will depend upon how much you can afford.

If you look on the internet, you will observe that some of the older models are offered for sale at ridiculously large prices.

As you explore this site you will find much about the game and aviation history. The people here are very friendly and will try to answer any questions you have. You will also probably find some more members in your area and details of 'events'.

hi Steven welcome to the drome!!! the short answer is buy any wings of glory and wings of war product you can get your hands on. i started out with some planes i got at origins 2013, bought a duel pack, got a second one, got the rules pack and it just kind of took off from there (pun intended).

Welcome to the 'drome Steven, the chaps have pretty much nailed it on the head
    Get the RAP as it gives you all you need to play the game, at least four scout aircraft (two per side) and a couple of two-seaters (one each side), if your wingman does the same and maybe buys different models eg alternate paint schemes or even for Italian front, then you should have all bases covered. I'd follow Davids advice and get aircraft that match historically too.
    Have a look at this document from the files as it shows all releases to date, although a lot will be oop you will see the heritage of Wings and maybe give you something to look out for.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Steven, welcome from England.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hi Steven and welcome!
    I'm new to the game, a month into it, and I started with a duel pack.
    I added a few of planes and started building paper models, because I like to build...
    If you want the RAP, it's got all the rules, and planes I would suggest you go to Miniature Market web site.
    They sell the RAP with 4 planes as a bundle for about $50. A great deal! I didn't have the money when I started and went with the duel pack because I wasn't sure how I'd like it. Now I wish I could have sprung for the RAP.
    Good luck and have fun! This is a really good game!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Goggles24 View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm new to wings of glory and I was just looking for your opinions on how I should start out. Originally I was planning to just get one of the duel packs and start from there, but I read that it doesn't come with a full set of rules. Also I heard that the duel packs were more for people who want to just get a taste of it to see if they want to continue with the game. Being that I'm a huge fan of history and I love modeling and all that sorts of stuff, I've already predetermined that I'm going to stick with the game (how could I not, this looks awesome!). So here's my question, how do I go about getting setup? Should I get the WW1 rules and accessories pack and buy a couple planes in addition, or should I just start with the duel pack? And if I was to get to the rules and accessories pack what should my additional plane choices be?
    Any information would be awesome.
    Thanks!
    You can get some aircraft from the store on this site. There is a good selection to get you started. Welcome aboard.

Goggles24

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    Hi Steven and welcome!
    I'm new to the game, a month into it, and I started with a duel pack.
    I added a few of planes and started building paper models, because I like to build...
    If you want the RAP, it's got all the rules, and planes I would suggest you go to Miniature Market web site.
    They sell the RAP with 4 planes as a bundle for about $50. A great deal! I didn't have the money when I started and went with the duel pack because I wasn't sure how I'd like it. Now I wish I could have sprung for the RAP.
    Good luck and have fun! This is a really good game!
    Greg
    Thanks for telling me about this site. So far it looks like everything is slightly cheaper than the aerodrome store. I probably will go with the bundle for now, it looks like an awesome deal.

Thanks!

Hello Stephen and a big welcome to the road to perdition

Do not worry about what to get. After a few months you will find yourself paying just about anything for another airplane fix and have most of them anyway

You might want to watch out for Fire from the sky or the RAP for WWII as well. That P51D is just so much prettier than the WWI crates ........

Gary

I don't know if this will work Steven, but Ares just did a kickstarter for some big bombers. The site says you can still make a pledge to the kickstarter campaign, and one of the levels is Rookie. That level gets you the Rules and Accessory pack, and 4 planes for $49. The site is http://ks.aresgames.eu/ww1-wings-of-glory/. I already received my Rookie set, so maybe it would be sent out immediately if you ordered one that way. They have been really good about addressing questions, so it wouldn't hurt to drop them a line. There is an ask a question box way at the bottom of the kickstarter page : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ky/description

Good luck! It is an awesome game, and there is a great bunch of folks here. This game has gotten me studying history big time!

Goggles24

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I don't know if this will work Steven, but Ares just did a kickstarter for some big bombers. The site says you can still make a pledge to the kickstarter campaign, and one of the levels is Rookie. That level gets you the Rules and Accessory pack, and 4 planes for $49. The site is http://ks.aresgames.eu/ww1-wings-of-glory/. I already received my Rookie set, so maybe it would be sent out immediately if you ordered one that way. They have been really good about addressing questions, so it wouldn't hurt to drop them a line. There is an ask a question box way at the bottom of the kickstarter page : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ky/description

Good luck! It is an awesome game, and there is a great bunch of folks here. This game has gotten me studying history big time!
    Any notable difference between the kickstarter version and the miniature market version? From what I read the planes are exactly the same for both but the miniature market version is slightly cheaper.

I don't think there is any difference. I missed Greg's post about Miniature Market. I've had good luck with them in the past, so that is the route I would recommend.

Goggles24

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    I don't think there is any difference. I missed Greg's post about Miniature Market. I've had good luck with them in the past, so that is the route I would recommend.
    Will do, I'm pumped. I'll be sure to post something after my first battle. Can't wait!!

Thumbs up

G'day Steven & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

If you have an interest in the History of Air Warfare in WW1 you might like to grab some DH-2's & Fokker E.III's & then you can move up to Albatross D.II's & Spad V11's as these aircraft should be readily available. I know the Aerodrome store has a good selection of models for after you grab the RAP pack & that bundle from Minature Market.

Lots of great info available here on the Forum & check out some of the Solo After Action Reports in the Campaign section of WW1 to get some ideas of the various scenarios you can play.

Good Hunting & watch your 6!

Hi Steven, welcome to the 'Drome!

The Kickstarter 4-plane set will not give you a choice of planes; one will be a Manfred von Richthofen Fokker Dr1, apparently, the other 3 being reprint planes from the first Ares series - you don't get to choose the scheme you want. I wonder if perhaps the Miniature Market set is flexible?

Have fun, and post us some pictures when you're up and running!

On behalf of the rest of the pilots based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome Steven.
    I hope the chaps are answering all your questions satisfactorily.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Greetings and welcome,

Don't listen to those that say 'You only need two minis to play'... You will find out soon enough that Ares sprays an invisible additive onto every mini that compels everyone to buy more of them. Just repeat this mantra every time you hand over your wallet... "I can stop buying minis anytime I want..."

Rule #1 Always have fun.

Goggles24

Quote Originally Posted by Horse4261 View Post
    Greetings and welcome,

Don't listen to those that say 'You only need two minis to play'... You will find out soon enough that Ares sprays an invisible additive onto every mini that compels everyone to buy more of them. Just repeat this mantra every time you hand over your wallet... "I can stop buying minis anytime I want..."

Rule #1 Always have fun.
    Uh oh, I've been known to get the "collecting bug" in virtually all of my hobbies haha. My NASCAR diecast collection already cleans out my wallet yearly, lets see where this one takes me.

Uh oh, I've been known to get the "collecting bug" in virtually all of my hobbies haha. My NASCAR diecast collection already cleans out my wallet yearly, lets see where this one takes me.
    Ah-ha - always good to meet a like-minded comrade. Always all in! Wings of War/Glory, Die-Cast cars, books, CDs. DVDs ... I need at least two more lifetimes to enjoy my collections.

Goggles24

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Ah-ha - always good to meet a like-minded comrade. Always all in! Wings of War/Glory, Die-Cast cars, books, CDs. DVDs ... I need at least two more lifetimes to enjoy my collections.
    Oh yeah I hear ya, and I've barely even started this lifetime, I'm not even out of highschool yet. Don't forget the model trains though, I have my grandfathers old postwar set, a 1947 steam engine and a 1950 Santa Fe with dummy cars. Not many of my generation are into this kind of stuff but hey I'll enjoy it while I can. While everyone else has their eyes glued to a screen I'm tinkering in the workshop, just the way I like it

I have a bunch of my dad's HO stuff in the basement. I need to go through it and pick a few to save for display.
    The rest I am going to donate to a local club so they can be used and enjoyed.

Goggles24

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have a bunch of my dad's HO stuff in the basement. I need to go through it and pick a few to save for display.
    The rest I am going to donate to a local club so they can be used and enjoyed.
    Awesome, it's better to have someone enjoying them than leaving them in the box! I have mine all setup on a table in the basement. I'm in the process of making a mountain on the table and adding scenery. Sometime I might post a new thread somewhere on here to share it with everyone, I know quite a bit of you guys do similar diorama type projects and I'd love to share ideas.

Awesome, it's better to have someone enjoying them than leaving them in the box! I have mine all setup on a table in the basement. I'm in the process of making a mountain on the table and adding scenery. Sometime I might post a new thread somewhere on here to share it with everyone, I know quite a bit of you guys do similar diorama type projects and I'd love to share ideas.
    I'd like to see the set up. I was doing 1/43 scale race cars for awhile but have since taken down my display. I really enjoy seeing diorama scenes like trains and cars. Maybe get some planes in there...

Similar Missions

1. Where to start with paints.....?
    By QB Fox in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 08:57
  2. WSF Not a bad start to 2014
    By Guntruck in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 13:30
  3. Where to start
    By often in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14