Vital Ferry
    ISBN:
    978-2-35250-370-5
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    During the cradle of aviation, at the beginning of the Great War, France had access to only a few dozen military aircraft, with a staff who didn’t quite know what to do with them. However, during the course of the conflict, the embryonic Air Force, dedicated to the creation of reconnaissance and bombing missions, evolved like wildfire to the point that by the Armistice of 11 November 1918, French military aviation had become one of the world's most powerful as a result of the construction of 10,000 aircraft spread throughout nearly 300 squadrons. Having became the first nation equipped with an air force, the French aviation industry in its infancy before the war, had been able to produce in four years 50,000 aircraft, may of which would go on to support a number of her allies, including Britain, Russia and especially the United States.

This book provides a comprehensive overview of the evolution of the French Air Force from 1914 to 1918 through a historical narrative peppered with anecdotes and illustrated with many unpublished pictures from the period and profiles of the most iconic devices. The work is complete with full specifications of aircraft built and used by France during the four years of the Great War.

A good read. Lots of pictures and aircraft profiles. Price can be as low as 35 USD incl shipping which is a very good value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails french aviation.jpg  

I just put this book in my Amazon cart earlier this week. Guess I better get on with it.

Would you happen to know how it compares to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	172028

Looks like I need to get on with my new bookshelf.
    Thanks for adding this John.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Would you happen to know how it compares to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	French.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	172028
    Yes, I can. I own both books. The book you show is probably the best book on French Aircraft you could spend but it usually costs over 350 USD (just checked amazon). French Aviation is lighter on aircraft but covers all the major aircraft used, and covers a lot more faults of French Aviation and only 35USD. It is a good buy. How many books cover the French during WW1? Not too many.

Well, I paid far less than 350 USD many years ago when the book first came out. I see several copies on abebooks for less than that, but also some for much more.

So did I alittle over 100usd. Never heard of abebooks before will have to check it out. Thanks!

Saw a used one for 156USD on abebooks. Did not like their search engine but for some of the prices it will do.
    Last edited by john snelling; 07-29-2015 at 15:24.

Looks like a winner, will have to track it down.

Thumbs up

Yes that one will fill the gap for those who like to fly the French WoW/G aircraft & for those who wish to have a full view of the Allied Air forces in WW1.

Thanks for the Heads Up John.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes that one will fill the gap for those who like to fly the French WoW/G aircraft & for those who wish to have a full view of the Allied Air forces in WW1.

Thanks for the Heads Up John.
    I like flying French there are some interesting match ups.

I aim to start painting up some French planes soon - this book would be a great help.
    Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I aim to start painting up some French planes soon - this book would be a great help.
    Thanks for posting!
    Tim, I'm painting 2 Spad VIIs for N48, a Letord 2, Spad 11, N12 two-seater and a Paul Schmitt. Looking forward to get them on the table.

Similar Missions

1. WGFE: French Aviation During the First World War
    By Guntruck in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 06:38
  2. Definitive French and Lithuanian Aviation History sites
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 15:27
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 01:00
  4. Replies: 3