Ares Games

Thread: Comparing Apples with Oranges

Default Comparing Apples with Oranges

Having developed an interest in the WW2 side of our game I thought I would order some 3rd party planes as it is sometimes not so easy to get Ares ones.

From Ebay I scored 4 Merit F4F's for AUD $28 and free postage.

I have the Ares Galer F4F and found that the Merit models were close enough in size to be identical. I received two sets of decals with the planes that will enable me to customize them but they do come with the basic US roundels already on them. The roundels are smaller than the Ares ones.

No cards or stands are supplied and they are wheels down without the drop tanks the Ares model has. Lighter in colour than the official model as well.

Overall conclusion - A good deal if you need a multi aircraft scenario and can make stands and copy some D deck cards for them. I would not use them over the Ares model as I think it is a superior model. The etchings and overall detail is just that much better.

Gary

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I didn't know ARES ever released a Grumman F4-F Wildcat - I thought Nexus produced those as Official for Wings of War.

I must admit that I do like the Wildcat - one of my favourite aircraft types of WW2.

Ooops my mistake .... of course it was Nexus

Still it was an interesting comparison Gary.
    For those who like to repaint or customize, there is still a lot of choice out there.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Generally speaking, when you factor in the base, pegs and cards, plus of course pre-painting, the Ares/Nexus models are a better value. That said, sometimes there aren't any oranges in the fruit stand.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

There are some more on sale here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merit-Inte...item487c7cb2d6

Rob.

I've just had half of them!

Lightbulb

I still think the A.I.M. resin 1/200 models are the best value for WW2 aircraft not available through Nexus or Ares.
    Excellent models & the price is tops. Decals are also available.
    Of course you do have to paint them & get bases, pegs & cards but still if you really need them it can be done!

I fully agree Baz.
    I put them top of my list too, both for detail and price.
    Just a pity that the ones I now really want are all only in the planning stage.
    Everything is coming soon.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I still think the A.I.M. resin 1/200 models are the best value for WW2 aircraft not available through Nexus or Ares.
    Excellent models & the price is tops. Decals are also available.
    Of course you do have to paint them & get bases, pegs & cards but still if you really need them it can be done!
    Oh, I more than agree with you. Barry. I have several on the "want" list waiting for funds and space on the workbench.
    Truth to tell, if you are even a mediocre painter, you can get decent playing pieces for our game, and the rest is possible.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. General Comparing Plastics (WSF, WSF-P, and FD)
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-18-2019, 11:40
  2. Comparing Mythologies - Pfalz III
    By Blackronin in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 13:10
  3. Comparing Mythologies
    By Blackronin in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 13:05
  4. Comparing the 'Brisfits' kits