Ares Games

Thread: Bloody April Is Coming - Another Game For A rainy Day !

Default Bloody April Is Coming - Another Game For A rainy Day !

Having replayed OTT mission 14 and having the models on the table when it rained all day a couple of days later I decided to play a scratch game using the same German AI characters.
    I flew as 2Lt Robert Howe in this mission - The Germans had to drive off or kill the RE8 providing Arty spotting, Howe & his wingman had to render assistance if they could. It went wrong from the beginning, as you will see, I diced for the RE8 to circle left or right - it went right which was good as the Huns were coming from the left, I diced a D6 1-4 keep circling 5,6 run for it. Rolled a 5 - bad news, they tried to run for it ! Then rolled for turn the cavalry arrived..Rolled 5 again. Oh dear...!
    This is how it went down - literally !

Ltn Johannes Haber, Ltn Karl Gussmann, Ltn Siegfried Gildemeister, in their Albatrros D.III swoop in on a luckless RE8 piloted by 2Lt George Brown and crewed by Sgt Allan Cox who are spotting for artillery over the railway at Ham
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6275.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	171868

Ltn Karl Gussmann, flight leader, gets in first but to no obvious effect; Brown breaks to run for the lines - an error he won't live to regret - then Ltn Johannes Haber opens fire next as Gussmann clears the rear of the RE8 - again no obvious damage but Cox shows he's pretty handy with a Lewis gun and stitches a line of holes through Haber's top plane.

Name:	SAM_6280.JPG 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	171869

Haber has better luck with his next burst and his rounds crash through the RE8's tail - Cox seizes the opportunity to get a close range shot in on the Hun leader as Gussmann pulls close alongside. Gildemeister can't seem to get on target.

Name:	SAM_6281.JPG 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	171870

Gussmann gets to fire back but again he hits nothing vital - Cox, meanwhile, does with his next shots damaging the flight leader's controls

Name:	SAM_6282.JPG 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	171871

As Gildemeister overshoots Haber lets fly again and is rewarded with a lick of flame from his target !

Name:	SAM_6284.JPG 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	171872

As Gussmann slides behind their tail Cox puts a raking burst into Gildemeister's belly - the damage is slight and his Lewis gun jams

Name:	SAM_6285.JPG 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	171873

Now defenceless Gussmann now sat squarely on their tail lets rip at close range - his rounds smashing through the RE8's airframe, the aircraft staggers but keeps going

Name:	SAM_6286.JPG 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	171874

Haber squeaks in a shot past his leader's wing tip and they strike home...Belching flame and smoke the RE8 rolls and falls toward the ground out of control

Name:	SAM_6287.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	171875 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6288.JPG 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	171876

Having seen the fight start the 2Lt Percy Hall (green N.17) and 2Lt Robert Howe (Silver N.17) arrive too late to change the outcome.

Name:	SAM_6290.JPG 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	171877

The Huns are taken by surprise by their sudden arrival and the Nieuports bust through the Hun formation but without getting a decent shot despite an effort by Hall and Gussmann bumping Haber in the confusion as they turned

Name:	SAM_6293.JPG 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	171878

Howe pulls off a Split R's getting a shot into Haber but not causing any notable damage.

Name:	SAM_6296.JPG 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	171879

Haber starts to pull a loop - Howe, climbing, gets another unremarkable shot into the Albatros

Name:	SAM_6298.JPG 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	171880

Haber loops down behind Howe as he exchanges lead with Gildermeister and comes off second best !

Name:	SAM_6299.JPG 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	171881

Howe gets through onto Gussmann and peppers his fuselage

Name:	SAM_6301.JPG 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	171882

Gussmann hauls round and puts an ineffective burst into Hall as he gets a quick shot into Gildermeister

Name:	SAM_6302.JPG 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	171883

Gussmann stays on Hall and gets a close range burst in from his rear quarter but his guns jam in the process.

Name:	SAM_6305.JPG 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	171884

Hall immels to escape the onslaught and Gussmann overshoots his prey but Gildermeister has immelled too and catches Hall as he turns with a burst through the cockpit - a round smashing into him

Name:	SAM_6308.JPG 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	171885

As Hall's aircraft staggers away Howe noses up and catches Gildermeister as he immels after Hall - the shot is deadly and the Albatros breaks up in mid air.

Name:	SAM_6311.JPG 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	171886

As Gildermeister falls his comrades are turning back in, Howe pulls another Split R but is caught by Haber as he pulls out but no damage done, Howe gets back into the fight and gets a shot on Gussmann as he turns damaging his tail

Name:	SAM_6314.JPG 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	171887

Haber gets on Halls' quarter his first rounds feathering his tail - His following burst smashes through the Nieuport and it staggers under the blow as it turns - His final burst utterly destroys it !

Name:	SAM_6315.JPG 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	171888 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6316.JPG 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	171889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6317.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	171890

Howe sees the demise of Hall and now outnumbered determines to head for home shooting up the Huns as he passes

Name:	SAM_6318.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	171891

He misses his chance but slips between the two Huns and escapes unscathed back across the lines.
    Shame he didn't get the shot on, the next card was the boom card !

2Lt Robert Howe RTB 1 Kill (Gildermeister)

Name:	SAM_6323.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	171892

2Lt Percy Hall SD ET 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_6320.JPG 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	171893

2Lt George Brown and Sgt Allan Cox SD Et 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_6322.JPG 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	171894

Ltn Siegfried Gildemeister SD exp FT - 0 kills

Name:	SAM_6321.JPG 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	171895

Ltn Karl Gussmann, RTB 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_6324.JPG 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	171896

Ltn Johannes Haber RTB 2 Kills

Name:	SAM_6325.JPG 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	171897

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

So did this game "count" for your aircrews ? or was it just a "friendly" ?

I have been meaning to ask - are the rulers you use in your photos specially cut narrow ones for the photos ?

Interesting read, as usual, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    So did this game "count" for your aircrews ? or was it just a "friendly" ?
    I have been meaning to ask - are the rulers you use in your photos specially cut narrow ones for the photos ?..
    If posted here it's just a friendly extra Pete - on rare occasion it has been known for successful pilots to be drafted into OTT. The rulers are slim ones cut from the punch out card the originals came in. I always measure peg to peg myself; if in range I use the skinny rulers from model to model in the photos as they are lighter and easier to place.

Thanks - that's what I figured. Might have to try your post-to-post method sometime.

Trying to think of a way to keep track of everything and then re-stage for photos.
    Is that doable ? I am afraid my 2-3 hour battles will take all day if I stop to photograph.

I really enjoyed this AAR. I like the final graphic summary, especially with number tokens!

Thanks - that's what I figured. Might have to try your post-to-post method sometime.
    Trying to think of a way to keep track of everything and then re-stage for photos.
    Is that doable ? I am afraid my 2-3 hour battles will take all day if I stop to photograph.
    Peg to peg can be a little frustrating Pete - it's harder to get hits but then it's easier to escape a kicking - swings and roundabouts as we say !
    I don't re-stage anything for photos, what you see is what happened as it happened (which I think is the way to do it) so you'll have to experiment with that and see what works for you !

You get much faster at the photos with a little experience Pete.
    It hardly slows down play in the end.
    I think your chaps did pretty well with B guns vs A and outnumbered 3 to two.
    Nice scenario account too Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lightbulb

Pete, I always take the photos for my AAR's "as it happens"! That way you get the damage cards & rulers so readers can see exactly how it went. Far too difficult to try to recreate. You will be surprised how little time it takes to take a quick shot with a digital camera.
    I really recommend you give it a try.

Smile

Great little scenario there Dave.
    The Dice Gods did you no favours but at least you got one Hun.

You're not wrong there Baz but that's the price you pay when you throw a game open to the will of the war game Gods ! I thought the Harry Tate was having a bit of a charmed life for a while with the zeroes it was pulling but that quickly changed !

Similar Missions

1. Bloody April 2015, at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2015, 10:29
  2. Bloody April 1917 Board Game
    By irwin6666 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 07:56
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 22:43