Ares Games

Thread: Another 'we want Russian planes' thread...

Default Another 'we want Russian planes' thread...

So just coming back to the 'more Russian planes please' thing that periodically comes up on the forum, I have a new reason to suspect Russian planes would sell well.
    I've recently gotten into Axis & Allies Angels 20 and Bandits High, the hex based dogfight game that only survived 2 series a few years back. I've been selling singles so people can fill holes in their collections, and guess which nation has been selling the best...!

I've sold more Russian planes than any other nation. Several other nations have more minis to choose from as well.
    Sturmoviks, LA5's and I-16's are the hot items.
    Next most popular are ME109's, P40's, FW190's and Brewster Buffalo's!

Ill post in here in the future when I've got a larger sample for the data. Early indications definitely show a healthy interest in Russian planes!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Evan, thanks for starting this thread.

Russia playing Glory WW2 / WGS is direly under-represented with the exception of the Yakovlev Yak-1 Official and for those lucky enough to have one the Kuznetsov Edition of the Wings of War Hawker Hurricane. Yet Russia played a massive role in WW2 and I agree that this has potential for ARES to work upon in terms of future releases.

Dogfights 1942 (see www.steamgames.com) re-broadened my horizons as to WW2 era Russian Aviation beyond what the IL-2 Sturmovik dynasty of PC games had already taught me. Though I would very much like to see a P-40 with Russian markings on it the Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik has to be my top choice for which Russian aircraft type I would like to see most on my gaming mat. Like the de Havilland DH98 Mosquito this was a true MRCA (Multi-Role Combat Aircraft) of it's day and it is iconic as a result. Hence the reason (probably) that Ubisoft's Il-2 Sturmovik has since it first appeared back in 2000 become a dynasty of computer games.

Second to the Ilyushin IL-2 the Lavodkin LA-7 would make another good Official as these appear to be built like tanks!

Given the nature of Eastern-Front air combat (low-level), _WG2_ lends itself to that style of combat more than the vertically-oriented combat of the Western Front.

Thumbs up

We had a few good games in Eastern front games in February. Next month we will play a few more at Guns of August. They are not high altitude ballets but down a dirty grudge matches!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2060035.jpg   P2060033.jpg   P2060048.jpg   P2060034.jpg  

As an early act on this forum, I feel compelled to add my voice to this request.

The Reds might not sell as many planes, but given the Yak as a fighter there are only two new models really needed to fill all roles - the Il-2 as ground attack and a Tu-2 or Pe-2 / Pe-3 in the twin-engine niche. A reissue of the Hurricane would of course be nice. Beyond those, a connoisseur can repaint the B-25 and P-40 as lend-lease aircraft.

So, pretty pretty please?
    Last edited by Muerto; 01-15-2016 at 11:24.

Are you adverse to painting and modelling? I know not everyone is, and that's why Wings of War/Glory is so liked. One of the main reasons I started.

Interesting that the most "Russian-planes-positives" are in Australia
    But you are rights - more Soviet planes, please

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    But you are rights - more Soviet planes, please
    If nothing else, we could use more targets
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Interesting observation... no idea why. For me its just compulsion to take the road less travelled; my other air force is the Reggia Aeronautica, and my third will be the Mexican Eagles' P-47.
    Last edited by Muerto; 01-15-2016 at 20:46.

Are you adverse to painting and modelling?
    Not at all - I'm quite happy to modify existing WoG models, and I'll be putting up pictures of my captured Bf.110 soon.

However, I'd rather have Ares models over 3rd party for other Soviet planes for reasons like the bases, clear plastic canopies, getting decks with the planes, and avoiding international postage to Australia.

If nothing else, we could use more targets
    Quantity has a quality all its own
    Last edited by Muerto; 01-15-2016 at 20:34.

Similar Missions

1. Russian Ram Rules?
    By bigk57 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 04:52
  2. Russian cockades?
    By Jäger in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 08:17
  3. The RAF on the Russian Front.
    By Rabbit 3 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 16