Ares Games

Thread: Hunt for the Red Baron--C.P. AAR

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool Hunt for the Red Baron--C.P. AAR

Hauptmann Brumowski this is Major Heinrich von Brauchitsch he is from XVI Corps. He is here to get your report on your flight this morning.

Yes, Capt. Richtofen. What would you like to know Major?

Just give me what details you can about your flight and any information you can think of about the enemy.

Yes Sir.

As we approached the target Lt. Leimkeuhler was to the right of the recon plane, flown by Cpl. Achziger, and I was to its left, both of us trailing and a little above it. We spotted four planes coming at us crossing the river near our target.
    Lt. Leimkeuhler and I advanced to take on the enemy while Cpl. Achziger turned towards the target. Lt. Leimkeuhler advanced on the lead plane taking a shot at the SPAD XIII (0), but evidently missed and took damage from the enemy's return fire (4, smoke) to his engine compartment. He proceeded on taking a shot at the second plane, a Nieuport 17, (0). Again he either missed or did not hit anything vital. And again he took return fire (2, smoke) with even more smoke pouring from his plane.
    Unfortunately I couldn't get a chance you shoot at the Sopwith Camel that went past me, nor could he get a shot off at me, so I fired at the Nieuport 23 (1) that was following hitting his fuselage as I saw pieces of fabric fly off.
    Lt. Leimkeuhler turned to the left and got a shot of at the Nieuport 23 (5,pilot) doing considerable damage around the pilot.
    I pulled a quick revese to get a shot at the SPAD that was trying to get behind me as Lt. Leimkeuhler got a pointblank shot at the Nieuport 23 (1,4). Coming out of my Immelman I took fired from the SPAD and the Nieuport 17 (2,0,1, RR). The SPAD, the Nieuport, and I crossed paths just barely avoiding a collision. Lt. Leimkeuhler took a shot at the Camel (0, GJ), but seemed to miss and evidently jamming his guns. The SPAD took a shot at the Lt. (0,2, LR).
    Evidently the Ni 23 pilot was injured because as we were trying to get some maneuvering room he was flying next to me with his head swaying from side to side. As I was beginning my reverse the Nieuport 23 pilot took a shot at me (3). The Camel fired on Lt. Leimkeuhler (2,RR). With his rudder jammed Lt. Leimkeuhler could only fly straight and the SPAD was there to take advantage of it (4,2, Fire). Lt. Leimkeuhler caught fire before crashing into the river.
    Completing my reverse I was too close to the Camel that was coming fast, so I fired on the Nieuport 23 (3). The Nieuport started coming apart as it spiralled down to crash near the road close to the old factory.
    Cpl. Achziger having completed his work was heading down stream, so I flew an intercept course to join up with him. As I did I got hit from behind (4, smoke, 2, GJ). As we joined up the Entente planes came buzzing after us but were too far away to do anything.
    That is all I can tell you Major.

Combatants:
    Entente:
    Capt. Rickenbacker SPAD XIII 0 dmg, RtB, 1 KILL
    Lt. Callahan Sopwith Camel 1 dmg RtB
    Lt. Finnegan Nieuport 17 0 dmg RtB
    Lt. Schick Nieuport 23 SD, WIA, enemy territory

Central Powers:
    Hauptmann von Brumowski Albatross DIII 12 dmg, 1 KILL RtB
    Lt. Leimkeuhler Fokker DVII SD, flm, landed in river
    Cpl. Achziger Rumpler CII (pilot) 0 dmg, RtB
    Sgt. Rodenbaugh Rumpler CII (photog) RtB photographed 2 bridges, and Lt. Leimkeuhler crash sight.
    Note:
    Light blue Roland CII crossed board out of range of combat.
    Last edited by Setarius; 07-27-2015 at 20:26. Reason: correct a couple of typos.

That sounds like it was an exciting game Dale - would like to see some pictures of the action but the minds eye is taking me there right now !
    If you don't mind a tip it might help the reader if you can space out the story as if you had put pics in it - something like this:

Unfortunately I couldn't get a chance you shoot at the Sopwith Camel that went past me, nor could he get a shot off at me, so I fired at the Nieuport 23 (1) that was following hitting his fuselage as I saw pieces of fabric fly off.

Lt. Leimkeuhler turned to the left and got a shot of at the Nieuport 23 (5,pilot) doing considerable damage around the pilot.

I pulled a quick revese to get a shot at the SPAD that was trying to get behind me as Lt. Leimkeuhler got a pointblank shot at the Nieuport 23 (1,4).

Coming out of my Immelman I took fired from the SPAD and the Nieuport 17 (2,0,1, RR).
    It may just be me but I'd find that easier to read and follow the story.
    Having read it through a couple of times I would say Lt. Leimkeuhler on taking two smokes should have caught fire in the first exchanges (WoG rule) but you may not play it that way. He didn't make it anyway so justice served !

Good report

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Very well flown and reported upon Dale.
    Sounds just like a typical encounter of the period.
    I enjoyed the commentary.
    Pictures of your next mission would be an added bonus, even if you only take a few.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the comments Dave and Rob. I have about 20 pics from the fight but am having major difficulty getting them to go into an album let alone add them to the AAR.
    Dave, the 2 smokes were on consecutive turns, not the same turn, so I gave him the chance of only smoke versus on fire. Smoke won out, he eventually caught the flame token in the final round.
    I am going to be running more scenarios in this theme and hopefully can get my comp working so I can add pics to this and post them in the future.
    By the way I am using the Nexus generated mats.
    Thanks for the rep Dave.

Lightbulb

Nice effort Dale!
    Do you reduce the pixels for the photos?
    It will help if you make them around 540 pics on the longer side.
    If you post the AAR in "Go Advanced" you can insert the photos between the paragraphs.

Good Luck.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Barry, that may be what I need to try. I'm using a tablet/notepad I got from my cellphone provider. I haven't done my AAR that way yet. I will try to do my next one that way to see if it works for me.

Can't wait for the Pics Dale. What an enthralling, exciting AAR.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Hunt for the Tirpitz
    By Kermit in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 15:58
  2. AAR Let the Hunt Begin !
    By Brambo in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-28-2014, 04:17
  3. The Big Hunt - Appetizer