Ares Games

Thread: wings over the lake, maybe

Default wings over the lake, maybe

hi all a little while back matt and harry stopped by the store at dreadfully good games (were always glad to see fellow forum members in our neck of the woods). matt suggested that maybe we could do a minicon or event at the store. i thought it was an excellent idea especially due to the large number of buckeye flyers and that were centrally located (more or less) between the ada and dayton/springboro groups and not over far from columbus or even points west nearby in indiana. so what do you all think? whod like to attend or gm events? whod like to get in on the ground floor and maybe make this an annual even? tell me hear your feedback everyone!

Speaking of Buckeye fliers, today, I was asked what BGIF meant by a store clerk. I wear your shirts with pride and affection, my Friend. I wish we could join you in some gaming, kibitzing, and eating. We'll be with you in spirit, Phillip.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Can you post the address so we could get an idea for travel times?
    If it's between Ada and Dayton, though, it's probably 3+ hours, so long for a day trip.
    Of course, I could crash at Tom's
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

It's about an hour and a half north of Dayton - probably about the same from Ada, Karl.

All the best,
    Matt

Just did a googling on it; it is 3 hours, and that is driving right past Ada, so only a bit over a half hour from Tom's.
    I could be game for this, if it's not in the winter, and if I can crash at tom's (very likely).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I think it would be a great locale for a mini-con of sorts - a day immersed in Wings of War/Glory - and I think there is enough space to have a couple of games running simultaneously. It's easy enough to find and to get to, and I'm sure there's a satisfactory pub close by somewhere for a debriefing session at the end of the day. Right, Phillip?

My only difficulty would be fitting it into my late-Summer/early-Fall schedule...weekends fill up quickly once school starts back up...but I think I could make room for a day of gaming

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Can you post the address so we could get an idea for travel times?
    If it's between Ada and Dayton, though, it's probably 3+ hours, so long for a day trip.
    Of course, I could crash at Tom's
    Karl
    dreadfully good games 202 south sugar st. celina oh 45822

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    It's about an hour and a half north of Dayton - probably about the same from Ada, Karl.

All the best,
    Matt
    it took me just about an houe each way when i made the journeys matt. barring construction of course!!!

I think it would be a great locale for a mini-con of sorts - a day immersed in Wings of War/Glory - and I think there is enough space to have a couple of games running simultaneously. It's easy enough to find and to get to, and I'm sure there's a satisfactory pub close by somewhere for a debriefing session at the end of the day. Right, Phillip?

My only difficulty would be fitting it into my late-Summer/early-Fall schedule...weekends fill up quickly once school starts back up...but I think I could make room for a day of gaming

All the best,
    Matt
    yes plenty of pubs. theres at least 3 within walking distance

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

How about stumbling or crawling distance? No, wait - a one-dayer means I have to drive home (or at least to Cappy Tom's with Karl...)

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Speaking of Buckeye fliers, today, I was asked what BGIF meant by a store clerk. I wear your shirts with pride and affection, my Friend. I wish we could join you in some gaming, kibitzing, and eating. We'll be with you in spirit, Phillip.
    i wish you could also eric! who knows if it "take off" maybe someday you will

How about stumbling or crawling distance? No, wait - a one-dayer means I have to drive home (or at least to Cappy Tom's with Karl...)

All the best,
    Matt
    ones a block away and anothers 2 blocks away so they ought to qualify . and it doesnt necessarily have to be just a one day event

ok guys time to put up or shut up i just talked to dave (the owner) today about this and hes more than willing to go with this IF WE CAN GET ENOUGH ATTENDANCE TO JUSTIFY THE INCONVENIENCE TO HIM AND HIS REGULAR PLAYERS. hes also willing to hold it around an ares release date and EVEN GIVE OUT PRIZES RELATING TO THAT RELEASE!!!! for those keeping track that quite possibly the release of the giant bombers!!!! he feels that at least 8-10 would be justifiable and with as many buckeye flyers are within a reasonable distance i think its doable. so what do you all think? let me know. im willing to run an event or 2 but ive never done anything like organizing a con so i need your help to make this happen. whos willing to run events? thisd be an excellent venue to try out scenarios in a small way before doing them at a bigger con. since we control the venue there wouldnt be any scheduling issues or conflicts with non wings events. id be willing to have the store open sunday so we could devote it exclusively to wings. let me hear your thoughts and insights please!

PM sent.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Lake Meade B-29
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2015, 12:19
  2. Lake Ladoga Ice Road
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 10:46
  3. Newbie question - WWII Wings of Glory versus Wings of War
    By Gangrel in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6