Ares Games

Thread: Base and Stand Mount Ideas

Question Base and Stand Mount Ideas

Hey Guys and Gals:
    Working on a homemade drachen balloon and a scratchbuilt Zeppelin. Any mounting ideas.I don't want the bases to be permanantly affixed. I would prefer quick and something that breaks down.

I'm not sure how Clipper mounts his but I use a large screw. I made the gondolas out of wood, drilled a through hole and put a large screw through it and into the bottom of my Zep. A bit of glue and its been secure through many games. I use a pair of telescoping magnet tools to hold it up. Base made of basswood.

Yeah, check my threads on Zeppelins, I usually imbed a pair of 3/32" dia alum tubes 2" long vertically on 9" centers into the Zeppelin hull . . . for posts I use telescoping rods from the local car parts store - they run about $2 each with tiny mirrors or magnets on them. They mount to 5mm clear acrylic base plate 10" x 4". The telescoping rods slip fit into the tubes for easy stowage and transport, the telescoping bit allows for altitude and attitude adjustments in the games . . .

the telescoping bit allows for altitude and attitude adjustments in the games . . .
    I like changing a Zeppelin's attitude.

For my Zep and RNAS Airship made for me by Clipper, I drilled a hole in the base of the ship and glued in a bomber peg. Several long bomber pegs were glued together for stability some in pairs and one three. Add four single pegs and you have height climbing capability and stability too. For the Zep you need two sets of pegs fore and aft.
    Base is perspex with the Oberst's dial on it for height checks. I glued the bottom single peg into the base to further help with stability.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Measuring Range: base-to-base or stand-to-base?
    By ColoradoCoppens in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 23:51
  2. 1/144 B-17's How to mount
    By BobP in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 11:27
  3. HOW TO/I mount 1/144 planes
    By BobP in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 10:52
  4. An alternative gimbal mount