Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Default Battle for England (BoB) New Rules and After Action Report

special maneuvers v11.pdf

AFTER ACTION REPORT: Sat. July 18, 2015 -

Went back to the Battle of Britain - but we allowed Fockewulfs and Spit Mk IXs (Called this fictitious battle "Battle for England"). Started with more than 50 planes - 30 German and 20 British.

Germans started close to the channel, and to mimic the Brits radar, allowed the RAF to set up after the Germans were all on the board. Brits could set up no closer that 2 rulers and two altitude pegs from the closest Luftwaffe.

NEW RULES - You may have read of some changes to the rules that we play. I've heard from many that have tried it, that it adds substantially to the dog-fight play.

A. PITCH - Ability to add +1 or subtract up to -3 climb counters on every maneuver. In addition to a dive card (-1 peg) and climb card (+1 counter). This really makes altitude an integral part of play. Allowing banked dives or climbs and quicker climbing and diving.

B. PER BARREL DAMAGE - ramped up the damage each airplane inflicts by drawing damage chips for each barrel shooting. Really adds a "white knuckle" affect as damage has become more devastating. This is also well liked by other pilots. If you get someone in your sights, there is a good chance they are going down. Damage is more consistent across different armament configurations.

C. ONE CARD PLANNING - using one card to plan and then play allows more responsive flying and greater chance of tailing.

D. SIMPLIFIED BOMBING - Easier bomb runs that don't require "flying" a bomb. Resulting in more bombs on target. (Still a challenge, however)

(Please see attached.)

BATTLE RESULTS:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2303.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	171037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2305 cropped.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	171038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	171039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2315.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	171040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	171041

A squadron of six Spit Mk IIs sped to intercept six Messer 110s that had bombs away on the closest RAF airfield. The airfield was a loss, the 110s paid a dear price, however, as three fell as the MkIIs ripped through the formation. The spits only losing one.

The MkIIs continued on to fall in behind a formation of four JU 87 Stukas that had evaded Beaufighters by slipping below. The MkIIs only lost one more, but took two Stukas with 'em.

The formation of nine Beaufighters was like a snow plow, clearing all that got in it's way. Only one 110 remained after meeting the Beaus.

The Stukas that had been ignored by the Beufighters now stung and took two Beaufighters with support from Heinkle tail gunners.

Meanwhile, to the West, a ferocious fight was underway between a flight of eight Fockewulfs and ten Spit Mk IXs on a collision course. Three intentional collisions took place as they jousted. Three Fockewulfs fell on the first pass to only one Spit. The Fockewulfs continued to try to get some bombs dropped on an airfield. But after the Spits re-grouped they descended upon the remaining FWs and decimated them in two vollies.

A squad of four Heinkles continued on to target, almost unscathed, as the fighters did their job to protect the bombers. Only later did the Spits catch up to them.

Conclusion: Even though the Germans were superior in number - The Brits out gun the Germans. Some bombs were dropped but the RAF did a good job tying the invasion force up in dog fights.

Participants:

Luftwaffe:
    Brad - Fockewulfs
    John - Heinkles and Stukas
    Mike - Messer 110s

RAF:
    Joe (me) - Spit MkIIs and Beaufighters
    Roger - Spit Mk IXs

Really had fun and appreciate all the pilots that showed!

Mike brought a book he acquired at an estate sale from an US Air Force Colonel. The book is from 1976 and printed by the US Gov.
    The book details ever US Army Air Corp battle from 1941 to 1945. Number of planes locations and results. No narrative, just the facts. AWESOME!

Next battle will be to pick a day from the book and recreate it. Should be fun and smaller in scale (If we pick a small one).

Then back to the Pacific in early Dec.

Great pics. Going to have try rearranging my 3 Wings of Glory maps after seeing your layout.
    I like the smoke/fire effects you use - very effective, yet simple.

Now, if I could only find some Stukas ....

Thumbs up

That looked like a lot of fun Joe!
    Great pics & a great collection of Aircraft involved.

What a show Joe.
    I think that's about the largest BoB I have seen outside of a Convention Hall.
    Well done to all participants.
    Loads of action and very striking smoke and flame.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice work Joe that was clearly a huge effort but well worth it

"He is wise who watches"

Lord of Girth's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for all the kind words... looking forward to early December Pacific battle....

Really interested in recreating and actual encounter from one day of the war.
    Perhaps smaller in scale than the 50 plus airplanes in recent past battles.

Any suggestions: Date? Airplanes involved? Where?

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe

Joe,
    What are you using with your maneuver decks? I suspect they represent your altitude, as they look like altimeters. Where did you get them?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

I made the altimeters. Quite easy. You can make your own from index paper and a printer. I went a little over the top. I got some brass clock hands. Painted black mounted with a Chicago screw. The dial in printed and glued to black foam core. I even cut a piece of clear lamenent for the "clear crystal". I'll post the artwork again. They really are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Joe,
    What are you using with your maneuver decks? I suspect they represent your altitude, as they look like altimeters. Where did you get them?
    There are examples in the files sections Mike:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=183
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=184
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1654
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...at&id=4&page=2

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

ALTIMETER tray v6.pdf - Here are the printable files for the altimeters. They are versioned per climb rate. (The dial notches are scaled for 2,3,4,5,6,7 & 9 steps) You can print them on card stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALTIMETERS.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	172573

I went a bit crazy and bought brass clock hands painted white. Used a black foam core back. Added a round laminent "crystal". And then attached the clock hand with a Chicago screw. Really like the finished product.

I hope this is helpful.

Joe

Superb job on those altimeters!

Looked to be an excellent game Joe. love the games room , If only I could convince my better half to let me have the spare room,

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Girth View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words... looking forward to early December Pacific battle....

Really interested in recreating and actual encounter from one day of the war.
    Perhaps smaller in scale than the 50 plus airplanes in recent past battles.

Any suggestions: Date? Airplanes involved? Where?

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe
    Great photos, Joe! Thanks for sharing your AAR.

What about replaying some aspect of the defense of Wake Island in December 1941? Wildcats, Zeros, Vals, Nells (if you've got them), etc.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Wake Island - That sounds perfect. Thanks for the suggestion!!! 4 wildcats against on onslaught of zeros and Vals... Gonna be fun!

On 8 December, just hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor (Wake being on the opposite side of the International Date Line), 36 Japanese Mitsubishi G3M3 medium bombers flown from bases on the Marshall Islands attacked Wake Island, destroying eight of the 12 F4F-3 Wildcat fighters belonging to Marine Corps fighter squadron VMF-211 on the ground.[8] The remaining four Wildcats were in the air patrolling, but because of poor visibility failed to see the attacking Japanese bombers. These Wildcats did down two bombers on the following day, however.[9] All of the Marine garrison's defensive emplacements were left intact by the raid, which primarily targeted the naval aircraft. Of 55 Marine aviation personnel, 23 were killed and 11 were wounded.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Great photos, Joe! Thanks for sharing your AAR.

What about replaying some aspect of the defense of Wake Island in December 1941? Wildcats, Zeros, Vals, Nells (if you've got them), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Girth View Post
    Wake Island - That sounds perfect. Thanks for the suggestion!!! 4 wildcats against on onslaught of zeros and Vals... Gonna be fun!

On 8 December, just hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor (Wake being on the opposite side of the International Date Line), 36 Japanese Mitsubishi G3M3 medium bombers flown from bases on the Marshall Islands attacked Wake Island, destroying eight of the 12 F4F-3 Wildcat fighters belonging to Marine Corps fighter squadron VMF-211 on the ground.[8] The remaining four Wildcats were in the air patrolling, but because of poor visibility failed to see the attacking Japanese bombers. These Wildcats did down two bombers on the following day, however.[9] All of the Marine garrison's defensive emplacements were left intact by the raid, which primarily targeted the naval aircraft. Of 55 Marine aviation personnel, 23 were killed and 11 were wounded.
    Glad you liked the idea! Here's some food for thought...

Note that unit designation (“211” for VMF-211), mission (“F”), and aircraft number (“10”) are still present (these are removed as the war progresses, as was the red "meatball" in the center of the national insignia, though not before Coral Sea).

Lt (j.g.) Noel A.M. Gayler ground-looped the above F4F-3 Wildcat (BuNo 3980 / engine no. 14179) on a dirt runway, damaging its left wingtip and aileron, while ferrying this aircraft across the U.S. It was received on Wake on 1 October, and then assigned to VMF-211 on 10 October. 2nd Lt. Carl R. Davidson flew this aircraft on combat air patrol (CAP) on 8 December, and again on 11 December when he was credited with shooting down two Type 96 rikkōs (“Nell” medium bombers) of the Chitose Kōkūtai. This aircraft was destroyed on the ground during a bombing raid on 14 December, but its engine was saved and installed in 211-F9 (BuNo 3988).
    Information from A Magnificent Fight: The Battle for Wake Island, by Robert Cressman

2nd Lt. Davidson was flying the re-engined 211-F9 on 22 December when he was shot down and killed by IJN Petty Officer 3rd Class Tahara Isao of the Hiryū.

F4F-3s of VMF-211 after the fall of Wake. 211-F11 (foreground) was the aircraft of Capt. Elrod, in which he sank IJN Kisargi

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Joe
    Sorties Flown

Great info.... I did some reading up on the Wake Island events in late Dec. 1941... Didn't know that much about it.... Overshadowed by Pearl Harbor.

Really excited to play this one out. Going to change it up to fit current inventory - the role of Mitsubishi bombers will be played by Achi Vals.
    I may be able to muster 12 wildcats if we count my brothers' stash. Gonna put four Cats in the air, and the rest will try to get off the ground before being destroyed.

Bit of a "What if....?"

Again, thanks for the great input!

Joe

Similar Missions

1. B.A.R. (Before action report)
    By STICK in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 09:11
  2. After Action Report!
    By richard m schwab in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 10:31