Ares Games

Thread: good landing

Default good landing

just found this on the news

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/dramatic...070700675.html

Glad he and the aircraft ok would be bad to loose one of these great aircraft
    Last edited by hawkhurst; 07-20-2015 at 07:39.

A textbook landing sans wheels.
    Thank goodness it worked out so well for both pilot and aircraft.
    Thanks for posting that Andy.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice landing; as good as you could get!
    Thanks for the post, Andy.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Well done that man! Glad he was O.K., and here's hoping the plane gets fixed up nice and quick!

They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. I am glad that the pilot was o.k. and the plane does not appear to have been too badly damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhurst View Post
    ..Glad he and the aircraft ok would be bad to loose one of these great aircraft
    Thankfully it's a replica - still, a hairy moment for him and thankfully he got down in one piece

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Wow, he surely saved that plane from a lot of damage. Under the circumstances that was a great landing.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

What Mark of Spitfire was involved in this incident? Looked like a Mk XIV at first then I noticed the three-bladed propeller so it can't have been ...

Let us have a look in CAM (Civil Aircraft Markings) 2015 ... W3257 / FY-E which carries Civil Registration G-CENI.

Entry for G-CENI says Supermarine Spitfire Mk 26 (W3257: FY-E) owned and operated by R Ellingworth and A G Thomas. Does not say anything about it being a replica Spitfire Mk 26 though.

I hope this is back in the air soon ... What an interesting aircraft this has turned out to be

That was certainly a "brown trouser" moment - glad he got down safely. Thanks for posting Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    ...Entry for G-CENI says Supermarine Spitfire Mk 26 (W3257: FY-E) owned and operated by R Ellingworth and A G Thomas. Does not say anything about it being a replica Spitfire Mk 26 though....
    This is the nail-biting moment, reminiscent of the Battle of Britain, when a skilled pilot was forced to carry out an emergency landing of his replica Spitfire - without any WHEELS....
    The Supermarine Spitfire Mk 26 is a two-seat Australian homebuilt aircraft produced in kit form by Supermarine Aircraft for completion by amateur builders - it is an '80% scale' replica based on the original Supermarine Spitfire design.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superm...Spitfire_Mk_26
    Think real Spits stopped at MkXIX ?

That's why the Fire appliances and pilot looked so big then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Think real Spits stopped at MkXIX ?
    I have the Spitfire F Mk 22 kit by Airfix (1/72 Scale) to assemble upstairs. I am sure it says in the small-print on the box that this was the last Mark of Spitfire to see RAF service.

The PR Mk XIX is firstly famous for achieving an altitude record of 55,000 feet as well as being the final Mark of Spitfire to be pulled from active service with the RAF. Ten aircraft were sold to Sweden where they continued to serve in the Swedish Air Force until the end of the 1950s.

Was thinking of the PR version - hence the question mark - looks like the F Mk 24 was the last production type.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Jane's All The World Aircraft also states that 24 Marks of Spitfire were produced originally - now that is what I call an achievement. I wonder who operated the Mark 24 if Airfix states that the Mark 22 was highest Mark in service with the RAF?

Thumbs up

That was a top piece of flying to get such a smooth wheels up landing.
    Well done that man!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    ...I wonder who operated the Mark 24 if Airfix states that the Mark 22 was highest Mark in service with the RAF?
    Introduced into service in 1946 a total of 81 Mk 24s were completed, 27 of which were conversions from Mk 22s. The last Mk 24 to be built was delivered in February 1948. They were used by only one RAF squadron, 80 Squadron, until 1952 when they converted to Hornets. Some of the squadron's aircraft went to the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force where they were operated until 1955. (If the word of wiki is to be believed ?!)

A Mk24 over somewhere over Honkers

Similar Missions

1. No Man's Landing
    By Snowy in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 01:54
  2. Landing crafts
    By CappyTom in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 17:04