Ares Games

Thread: Pigeons to the rescue, but not for long

Default Pigeons to the rescue, but not for long

Like most people I've heard of "WW1 Pigeon post" But until now I always thought it to be in the domain of the ground based soldier, But I read an account of how a "D I C K I N medal"Attachment 170552 (The animal metaphorical equivalent of the Victoria Cross) was awarded to a Pigeon, for delivering a message that contributed to the rescue of a ditched aircrew in October 1943, The pigeon being carried on board the plane, After a little research I found that a number of crews had been saved by Pigeons, "Winkie" February 1942, "White Vision" October 1943, "Tyke" June 1943, a total of 32 pigeons received the medal, none from WW1, With yet more digging,I have found a picture that shows the birds were carried on board WW1 planesAttachment 170553, So why no medals? It's only in WW2 that the pigeons are recognised for their contribution to the war effort Attachment 170554, Alas just about the time that the Government advised housewives how to make "Pigeon pies"Attachment 170555, a number of which received medals from the W.V.S. (Woman's Voluntary Service)Attachment 170556

I always felt it was a bit cynical giving medals to birds who did not understand anything but the instinct to get home.
    Seems to cheapen the awards given to real heroes somehow.
    I did like your comment about the WVS though.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The PDSA Dic kin Medal was instituted in 1943 in the United Kingdom by Maria Dic kin to honour the work of animals in war... so no, they wouldn't have got one in WW1 !
    Though they did cause some trouble in WW1 - allegedly ... see here the flanders pigeon murderer!

The Open University has just released online a series of ‘colourised’ photographs from the First World War. Above: a British mobile pigeon-loft so that messages could be carried back to GHQ

Here's more on pigeons used in the war

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I believe that all heavy bombers and Coastal Command flying boats carried a homing pigeon so that the aircrew could report their position, if their plane came down. My mother worked at a railway station towards the end of W.W.2 and they received regular shipments of homing pigeons. The station staff had to notify the 'Pigeon Officer' at the local R.A.F. base, so that he could arrange for collection.

They did indeed - Wireless operator of an Avro Lancaster bomber carrying two pigeon boxes.

Member of the crew of an RAF Coastal Command Lockheed Hudson holding a carrier pigeon, 1942

53 Squadron RAF handling carriers containing homing pigeons at St Eval, Cornwall, after a patrol over the Bay of Biscay

http://wwarii.com/blog/archives/roya...igeon-service/
    Last edited by flash; 07-08-2015 at 23:58.

We took prisoners in WW1 too !

verdammt !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Though they did cause some trouble in WW1 - allegedly ... see here the flanders pigeon murderer!
    The murder of Speckled Jim was a national tragedy......OK, it really upset General Melchett anyway

The Bletchley Park pigeons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25526691

Rob.

How to speed up the delivery of messages by Pigeon post.

I have a cunning plan Mr B.

Name:  pigeons.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  9.5 KB

And of course, there's always:
    Name:  Yankee-Doodle-Pigeon.png
Views: 553
Size:  118.8 KB

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    The murder of Speckled Jim was a national tragedy......OK, it really upset General Melchett anyway
    Another one to dig out of my DVD collection ...

Anyone got a movement card for a pidgeon?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Attachment 170735 Will this do?
    Don't you think it's rear arsament gives too great a spread Drew. Also it should only be able to hit opponents at a lower level.
    What evidence is there for forward weaponry other than a close range peck or claw. If so should it not be AB/B armed, unless you are classing it as a Fighter/Bomber. Also 11 HP makes it too robust unless you freeze it and toss it into the prop of an incoming.
    Other than that I can only say what great fun. I nearly fell off my perch laughing.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Attachment 170735 Will this do?
    OK, Drew, you have entirely too much time on your hands.

Similar Missions

1. Curtiss H.16 Rescue
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 16:07
  2. KoTA 7B The Daring Rescue.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 11:51
  3. WSF Spad A2 to the rescue!?
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 19:47
  4. The Rescue Mission----A price too high!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 23:38
  5. Spy Rescue Mission - The Soldiery in Columbus , Ohio - July 27th, 2011
    By Misdomingo in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 23:47