Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory game app

Default Wings of Glory game app

Just found this today . Looks interesting

http://www.aresgames.eu/14804

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Could be interesting; glad they're including a PC version, for those of us with dumb phones
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I agree Karl. I was a bit worried that I would be excluded too.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looking at the other links to the vid, I'm going to opt out.
    It's a fascinating concept, and technology, but what I'd like is a Vassal-type program, so I can play remotely without a physical game setup.
    I certainly would prefer FtF gaming, but a couple of hours via the WWW would be good too.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'd like to see a video of it used in WG, or a personal account of how it works .Feel it might just end up as a" lazy way" to play the game.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Hmm, i've got a silly phone myself. I guess i stay with the paper & plastic v variant

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Hmm, i've got a silly phone myself. I guess i stay with the paper & plastic v variant
    You are not alone in that department.
    Also concerned about WiFi reception in the Basement Battlefield formerly know as the pool table.

I would much prefer an app that would handle the firing and recording rather than trying to make WoG a shootemup video game.

Biggest drawback, other than having to buy all the supporting tech, is a 60cm x 60 cm play area. That's tight for 1 on 1 in WGF.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I would much prefer an app that would handle the firing and recording rather than trying to make WoG a shootemup video game.
    Me too - and I think it would have much wider acceptance!

I don't like it, at all. Just looking at the photo in which four people are holding their phones and "playing" a game (of WGF) -- boring as hell.

Question

I think the topic has several levels:
    1. Replacing clasicc WoG: no, it is only an alternative. For some people interesting and if it can bring new players here, it is OK.
    2. Scale of battlefield: Yes, it is only a small area, but for 4 planes it should be OK.
    3. Replacing Skype game: may be, nice alternative.
    4. Technical issues: how the game solve overlaping?
    5. Complexity: definitely not - there will be only new planes, so no Dr.I, no Spitfire etc.
    6. E-priority: I think many players want a function Android app to play in tram, trains etc. I remember java missaak's java aplication for WGF - it was superb!

Depending on price I will probably buy this because anything that promotes aviation in any form is great. A marriage of robotics and androids is fascinating.

LOOP

To me this is not WoG. But it might be fun anyway so I wont make judgement before I seen more.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtschwärmer View Post
    I don't like it, at all. Just looking at the photo in which four people are holding their phones and "playing" a game (of WGF) -- boring as hell.
    I am sorry to say that I prefer Wings of Glory as we know it ... I came from a world of PC gaming all the time in my spare time and it very soon dawned on me that IMHO playing Wings of Glory beat the living daylights out of what I had become used to. Playing against a live opponent (with a Solitaire capability if I wanted it) ... Banter (fun) ... More to see ... More to do ... Feeling as if you are actually controlling the Miniature you are using and becoming 'attached' to it ... Greater sense of reward AND

I am a true Stick and Rudder Kid, I don't 'do' I-Pads!!!

With us already having WGF and WGS what will this result in? WGC - Wings of Glory Classic (as we know it) and WGN - Wings of Glory Neo (new generation electronic version) ... The only thing I don't have a problem with is a 60 cm x 60 cm gaming environment as the other day for a laugh a friend and I successfully fitted a game of WGS into 55 cm x 40 cm. It was a bit like jousting to watch but at least it worked!

Similar Missions

1. Ohio: Wings of Glory Game Day - Planning
    By predhead in forum US Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-25-2023, 08:19
  2. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  3. Wings of Glory Participation Game
    By Stephen Webb in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 01:35
  4. Wings of Glory - First Game
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 05:14