Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic 'Wings of Glory'

Default Electronic 'Wings of Glory'

Have people seen this item on the Ares website and received an e-mail from Angiollio about it?

http://www.aresgames.eu/14804

It may well raise the profile of the game to our benefit.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Or it is going to be like trying to fit a SPAD with a modern-day Glass Cockpit ...

There are a couple of threads which have appeared on here over the last fourteen days concerning this subject - the discussions on which have become vibrantly both for and against this brand new idea. I am sorry to have to say that my views having come from a PC gaming background fall on the side of keeping Wings of Glory (both versions) as we know it. Also the electronic version is going to restrict the gaming environment to just 60 cm x 60 cm as one of these threads reveals. Recently a friend and I managed to fit a successful game of WGS into 55 cm x 40 cm for a laugh ... erm sorry, ergonomically-inspired exercise and it was more like an hour long's jousting tournament!

Keeping Wings of Glory as we know it IMHO beats the living daylights out of PC gaming all the time ... Playing and facing a live opponent with a Solitaire option if required ... More to see ... More to do ... A greater sense of reward ... An actual sense of controlling a Miniature in combat situations and becoming 'attached' to it as a result. Plus of course

I am a true Stick and Rudder Kid: I don't 'do' I-Pads!

I have to admit that personally I am with you on this Barney, but as we know people will vote with their feet as usual, and anything which keeps the game in the public eye can only benefit us in the long term. Having said that I doubt that I will play it, unless I can push my ships around in person and have the machine do all the maths for me without my having to make an input.
    Rob.

The kickstarter starts in Paris tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    It will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Agreed - I'm willing to be led by peer pressure on this one.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

The kickstarter starts in Paris tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
    I agree even with my strong sentiments about keeping the game as we know it. However I am also not a Luddite!

I think my principal worry is that this is the beginning of what in a few years time will turn round and become the only version of Wings of Glory ... For the I-Phone and PC. When I have just come from a background of all that stuff and discovered just how much in comparison I prefer Wings of Glory as we know it. Anyway there are enough WW1 and WW2 Combat Flight Simulators on the market already to support people's interests as things stand: Also I am bearing in mind the quality of the associated gaming forums online compared with the success story which is the Aerodrome ... I could be defeatist at this point instead of being a Luddite and ask if I have arrived into the world of Wings of Glory in time to witness the beginning of the end?

But when the last thing I came home from work in was a 275-tonne plane I'm not going to talk so wet or show signs of defeatism. This kickstarter may very well show that this technological advance in the game is the same as trying to fit a Glass Cockpit to a Sopwith Camel ... Or in other words a needless development. One which is not worth the investment required ...

Why fix what is not bust?
    Last edited by Tonx; 07-06-2015 at 14:59. Reason: Typo! (PC Keyboard battery low)

I do not worry about traditional WoG. There was a card variant of WoW first - nice, easy and cheap game, but nothing special. The impulse, or may be THE IMPULSE, were the first Deluxe Set and series no.1. When minis came into the game, the game became awesome. I know a man, who liked a card version, but loves minis. So he did stop play with his hundreds of card planes and play only with dozens of minis. He just started with one and that was his guide to "full WoG".
    There were two electronic games about WoG: a java one (made by missaak from this Aerodrome) and an app for Apple gadgets. I played only the forst one. It was fine to shoot down Andrzej in Opole from Prague, but that was much more a PC game. The point of WoG is elsewhere

The result is: WoG is a game about minis. And nothing on world, even much cheaper starter set with only cards, will not change it. And if it bring more players who started play with minis, it will be fine

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I do not worry about traditional WoG. There was a card variant of WoW first - nice, easy and cheap game, but nothing special. The impulse, or may be THE IMPULSE, were the first Deluxe Set and series no.1. When minis came into the game, the game became awesome. I know a man, who liked a card version, but loves minis. So he did stop play with his hundreds of card planes and play only with dozens of minis. He just started with one and that was his guide to "full WoG".
    There were two electronic games about WoG: a java one (made by missaak from this Aerodrome) and an app for Apple gadgets. I played only the forst one. It was fine to shoot down Andrzej in Opole from Prague, but that was much more a PC game. The point of WoG is elsewhere

The result is: WoG is a game about minis. And nothing on world, even much cheaper starter set with only cards, will not change it. And if it bring more players who started play with minis, it will be fine
    WoG is also about facing a live opponent or live opposition unless one chooses to play Solitaire (there is the choice not the restriction from the start) IMHO. Whereas what do you face playing a PC game or an I-Phone game ... a screen which is an inanimate object on which is a variation on a theme. Which when I began PC gaming in 1999 with 'Jane's World War II Fighters' has over the years become a pretty dull variation on a theme!

Collecting has become an integral part of playing this wargame meaning that one at least has something tangible to show representing their interest. Even when Wings of War was available as a card game only this was still the case but to a lesser extent ... What do PC games offer to this extent other than just the CD-ROM to own? Very little in comparison or nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Or it is going to be like trying to fit a SPAD with a modern-day Glass Cockpit ...
    Actually, that's easy -- one can run a "glass cockpit" off a tablet; and one of those will fit in a SPAD cockpit easily, either on the dash or as a kneeboard....

<- dodges flying stein of Foster's >;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    <- dodges flying stein of Foster's >

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Actually, that's easy -- one can run a "glass cockpit" off a tablet; and one of those will fit in a SPAD cockpit easily, either on the dash or as a kneeboard....

<- dodges flying stein of Foster's >
    I much prefer a of Coke to Fosters these days anyway ... Of course in reality I'd have far more sense than to go launching around the Aerodrome??!

I think with the Glass Cockpit / SPAD analogy I am trying to say why fix something that isn't bust? Flying a real SPAD with the authentic cockpit would be a great deal more fun than flying it via tablet - Glass Cockpits like PC and I-Phone games being just variations on a theme. Whereas Wings of Glory as we know it is very much about facing a live opponent / live opposition unless one chooses to play Solitaire (choice not restriction available from the start.) Unlike what you face playing games electronically ... A screen. Which is an inanimate and pretty unexciting object in comparison IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    WoG is also about facing a live opponent or live opposition unless one chooses to play Solitaire (there is the choice not the restriction from the start) IMHO. Whereas what do you face playing a PC game or an I-Phone game ... a screen which is an inanimate object on which is a variation on a theme. Which when I began PC gaming in 1999 with 'Jane's World War II Fighters' has over the years become a pretty dull variation on a theme!

Collecting has become an integral part of playing this wargame meaning that one at least has something tangible to show representing their interest. Even when Wings of War was available as a card game only this was still the case but to a lesser extent ... What do PC games offer to this extent other than just the CD-ROM to own? Very little in comparison or nothing at all.
    Still do not see that we are in compliance

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Still do not see that we are in compliance
    Put another way if I was to play you I would much prefer to play you in person than on the other end of an electronic screen where you cannot be seen or heard at all. Likewise you cannot see or hear me. Playing using Skype is different IMHO because you still have live opposition and Minis using this method of play.

The likelihood is that you would win this game given your years of experience versus my months of experience! But I would still have fun learning from an expert whereas being completely separated electronically may very well destroy much of that learning process: It would certainly take the fun out of it anyway ... Again just my opinion but another good reason for keeping the game traditional and as we know it.

Barney, listen to me - I prefer minis, I did not anywhere write that I do not. I have 70+ minis and do not want to change anything on it Only sentence I wrote is: more.WoG positive players means more minis positive players.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Barney, listen to me - I prefer minis, I did not anywhere write that I do not. I have 70+ minis and do not want to change anything on it Only sentence I wrote is: more.WoG positive players means more minis positive players.
    I am listening to you with great interest ... But I think I may have been reading your responses a little too fast so please accept my apologies for that. I too have a large collection of Minis and think exactly the same way as you do about them.

I would still like to give you a game one day though - playing the traditional way!

Do not worry, I know.very well that we are not opponents!
    One day? Bet on that!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Do not worry, I know.very well that we are not opponents!
    One day? Bet on that!

Can't see this replacing traditional WoG any time soon but it will draw in a younger generation who are into the technologies - I could see my lad and his mates on their games weekend sat round the room with a few beers chasing each other around the arena - can't see that the banter will be any different once the lead starts flying !

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Can't see this replacing traditional WoG any time soon but it will draw in a younger generation who are into the technologies - I could see my lad and his mates on their games weekend sat round the room with a few beers chasing each other around the arena - can't see that the banter will be any different once the lead starts flying !
    I am wondering which development from Ares Games has the more 'pulling power' for attracting new players in general - including the younger generation: This proposed technology-shift or reprinting Battle of Britain (BoB) Minis for WGS whilst keeping the game traditional?

The only problem with the second option which I can identify is indeed 'what about WGF?' Whereas the technology-shift development is potentially applicable to both WGS and WGF to the same extent ...

WoG will always attract new players regardless as we have seen over the last few years. As it's a licensed product the development of this game aspect seems to be with someone else not Ares so it won't be interfering with model production or the core game but it might open another market for them as it expands and if successful I can see that WGF could be taken up too. This can only be good for them and what's good for them can be good for us dyed in the wool model pushers !

"He is wise who watches"

Bit of peer pressure for you Flying Helmut ..... do you have one of clippers zeppelins? Probably a more desirable product and I reckon it will be cheaper??

Certainly cheaper in the long run as well. No add ons to consider. Not even the cost of the Hydrogen top up.
    Rob.

A solution in search of a problem... and I think the price will be significantly high.
    The mechanisms of WGS and WGS are marginally suitable at best. Altitude can't be dealt with. Playing area definitely on the small side.

The technology is more suited to X-wing, with its "bounce" method of dealing with overlaps.

Meh, it's nothing special to me, I don't have a smart phone.

But I can see how the app will be useful for a bunch of people who do-and yes, it will bring more people into our area of interest..

Like the great debate about electronic vs print books, I can see where both sides have valid points; but the way I see things, while the two media overlap, one does not automatically replace the other.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Anything that brings more folks to the game is fine by me, but I don't think I'll be jumping into the 'electronic' side of the game. I'm fine with miniatures and cards and game mats, oh my!

As has been mentioned above, the younger generation 'depends' heavily on their electronic devices - if that application brings them into the game and they can be engaged later on with actual planes and people, that would be a lovely shift...

All the best,
    Matt

My one concern is that Ares will dilute its time. We have heard that it is a small company many times, especially with respect to SoG, and, hence, the company is not able to be as responsive or produce as much as we desire. If the folks at Ares spend time on this, that is IF they spend time on this as I don't know what this endeavor will require of them, then that will result, most likely, in slower development and releases of the mini-based games.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Anything that brings more folks to the game is fine by me, but I don't think I'll be jumping into the 'electronic' side of the game. I'm fine with miniatures and cards and game mats, oh my!

As has been mentioned above, the younger generation 'depends' heavily on their electronic devices - if that application brings them into the game and they can be engaged later on with actual planes and people, that would be a lovely shift...

All the best,
    Matt
    Couldn't agree more with you Matt. I like the game as it is. Collecting minis and having a laugh while playing with friends.
    But as you say the younger generations wants everything to be digital. I don't know how many times I have been asked if WoG is a computergame.
    When I tell them it's a cardgame with minis they often look at me as if I'm from the stoneage.

I see this as a new game based on WoG but not WoG. I can only hope that WoG will stay anolog.
    But there are allways Shapeways

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    My one concern is that Ares will dilute its time.
    Far be it for me to suggest they cut out all the fantasy c**p.....
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Couldn't agree more with you Matt. I like the game as it is. Collecting minis and having a laugh while playing with friends.
    But as you say the younger generations wants everything to be digital. I don't know how many times I have been asked if WoG is a computergame.
    When I tell them it's a cardgame with minis they often look at me as if I'm from the stoneage.

I see this as a new game based on WoG but not WoG. I can only hope that WoG will stay anolog.
    As you have probably read earlier on I could not agree with you more Per. Last Saturday I did my first ever public demonstration of Wings of Glory WW2 / WGS at my FLGS and found this to be fun in general: All the points you make plus more to see and more to do playing the game traditionally (or analogue.) I know for sure that I would not have had half as much fun trying to demonstrate WGS on either a PC or tablet / I-Phone and I have another reason to oppose this development too - not just my previous history of PC gaming all the time.

The grand total of fifteen hours and twenty minutes I will be spending over these next two days on Microsoft Flight Simulator (tutoring using FS9) are neither a PC game or a joke. This time will be spent engaged in Groundschool Tutoring and conducting legitimate flight training exercises. It is called Share Flying. I'm currently on a meal-break between tutoring assignments ... What I am most looking forward to is a decent game of Glory when I have finished tutoring and played in the traditional manner as we know it. Either Solitaire or against the Wife because I will have had enough of modern airliners by then ... Time to fly something classic as well as get to indulge in my spare-time interests which I enjoy so much! A refreshing change of scenery after a real time 7 hr 25 min Boeing 777-206ER flight after which the last thing I will want to find myself looking at is another screen. Or computer-based simulation flight or otherwise! Stick and Rudder time!!!

I bet I am not the only Aerodrome Member who cannot avoid spending hours in front of a PC or screen of some shape and form thanks to work.

They ship to the EU, Canada, US, China, Japan - but not Australia or New Zealand.

UPDATE - after my query about this, they fixed that.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 07-07-2015 at 22:37.

Sorry but it does nothing for me,

Looked like a couple of Daleks running around a map with a guy operating them with magnets on a stick underneath the cloth.

Wheres the fun of moving the models, sometimes inaccurately, Getting the firing wrong and all those other human errors we make in the "heat " of the game .

Oh and why Paris to launch it ?. France is not the most up to speed place for the web and its apps. Note do not pay your taxes on line in France

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post

But there are allways Shapeways
    Agreed Luddites unite.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I know for sure that I would not have had half as much fun trying to demonstrate WGS on either a PC or tablet / I-Phone
    You should be alright Barney - I don't think they'll make it compulsory !

"He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Agreed Luddites unite.
    Contrary to what my Posting earlier reckoned maybe I am being a Luddite ... But a friendly one who listens and doesn't throw drinks around!!!

Paris thinks me was selected as the Paris Air Show has just been held - I think it ended seven days ago. No doubt had this all gone off during an even-numbered year then it would have happened in Farnborough around a week after the Farnborough Air Show: Paris and Farnborough are held on alternate odd-numbered and even-numbered years respectively. Plenty of Glass Cockpits and screen after screen thanks to technological advances amongst the Westland Whippets and Hawker Humdrums on display at these events I can assure you!

So the first impressions we are getting of the newly automated version of Wings of Glory is of it looking like a couple of Daleks running around a map with a guy operating them with magnets on a stick underneath the cloth?!

Something loose in cockpit ... Something tightened in cockpit! Or even better Engine No 3 missing ... Engine located in usual place after brief search!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You should be alright Barney - I don't think they'll make it compulsory !
    I hope not as for a laugh I just tried playing an I-Phone flight simulator called FW2 - stands for Fighter Wing 2 during my last virtual flight layover (tutoring on FS9 and all that) ... What an absolute NIGHTMARE that was to play! It is supposedly an arcade-based World War 2 combat flight simulator but you spend practically all of your time trying to get the b-y thing to work at all!!!

Gave up after 10 minutes of utter mayhem and challenged the First Officer to a game of Battleships using pen and paper for the rest of the layover. Good game even if I didn't win ...

Bit of peer pressure for you Flying Helmut ..... do you have one of clippers zeppelins? Probably a more desirable product and I reckon it will be cheaper??

Why yes, indeed I do!

I have also begged for one of his new 1/144th scale ones!

I like my tech, but this is a step too far for me. Doesn't appeal at all, but I am sure it will to some

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Here is exactly how its played.

https://youtu.be/-Ur-4vc5Gwk

Just like the original game mechanics

The kickstarter is open on this. I just looked and the cheapest meaningful package is 159 euros with delivery expected in July 2016. For that you get 1 arena, 2 bots, 3 apps and mats (battle Bot, Bot race, and Wings of Glory WW2) and an SDK development kit. 190 Euro for the one with 4 BOTS. I think a potential delivery date of 12 months time is too far away and I want to see some AAR's before I would spend that much.

I gave it a look over. I'm not really interested. I have too much invested in the mini version to think about distracting myself with another version of the same game. I also get too much enjoyment from painting and playing with the miniatures. I don't have enough time to do as much as I want to now never mind adding this in the mix.

I can see how it could be a big draw for the electronic gamers. If it brings in more Wings players and does not slow down the miniature releases then I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Here is exactly how its played.

https://youtu.be/-Ur-4vc5Gwk

Just like the original game mechanics
    This made it look more like I had hoped/expected, rather than the mash-em-up example I saw earlier. But Gary's following post on the cost makes it less and less appealing to me.

And they do have WoGF in the "wings"

Got this off the Kickstarter page.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ePawn WoGF.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	170497

But I agree with Paul's previous comment
    Looked like a couple of Daleks running around a map with a guy operating them with magnets on a stick underneath the cloth.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Agreed Luddites unite.
    Maybe I'm a Luddite too. But I don't see the point in playing a (relatively) slow game on a fast platform.
    Making a this a robot-game with minis ontop, that I can understand. Fast, direct and very much up the digital ally.

LOOP

The kickstarter is open on this. I just looked and the cheapest meaningful package is 159 euros with delivery expected in July 2016. For that you get 1 arena, 2 bots, 3 apps and mats (battle Bot, Bot race, and Wings of Glory WW2) and an SDK development kit. 190 Euro for the one with 4 BOTS. I think a potential delivery date of 12 months time is too far away and I want to see some AAR's before I would spend that much.
    Can't say I am surprised to see such a pricetag.

i actually like the look of this but the play area needs to be quite a bit bigger to get a flight sim feel. i was joking around at origins as to when we were going to get the "star wars" gaming table for wog. i guess this is ares answer with the technology currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    If the folks at Ares spend time on this, that is IF they spend time on this as I don't know what this endeavor will require of them, then that will result, most likely, in slower development and releases of the mini-based games.
    All developement is made by other people. See team here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rd/description

So no fear that this will distract Ares.

For size: bases are shorter, maneuvres are scaled down 50%. So the surface is equivalent to a 120 x 120 cm table.
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 07-07-2015 at 23:23.

One good point I thought of was that at least I would not have to worry about 'losing an irreplaceable card'.

A few questions:
    Can the electronic game be played from a PC rather than a tablet or smartphone? Can it be played over the internet? Can the map be made to scroll? Are the model planes the normal ones or is there something special about them? How does altitude work?

and

Would it be better to save my money to buy the next series of models?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    All developement is made by other people. See team here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rd/description

So no fear that this will distract Ares.

For size: bases are shorter, maneuvres are scaled down 50%. So the surface is equivalent to a 120 x 120 cm table.
    Thank you, Andrea, fr your answers. Mention about reducing scale is IMHO important for the whole project When I started with WGF, we played on 90x70 cm table at mu dormitory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Newbie question - WWII Wings of Glory versus Wings of War
    By Gangrel in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-29-2014, 21:26
  2. National: Wings of Glory & Sails of Glory al MACRO giovedě
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 06:08
  3. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27
  4. Electronic version of the rules
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 16:08