Ares Games

Thread: Ill give this a look....price pending

Default Ill give this a look....price pending

Ares have something new going on.

Wings of Glory digital!

http://www.aresgames.eu/14804

Looking forward to see how it works, it seem the planes move on their own. should be a new way to play solo too.
    Last edited by Dowters; 07-03-2015 at 11:59.

Beat me to the punch.
    Just saw this on the Facebook page.

Will be very interested in seeing how this works.
    There was a reason I ordered those WWII planes from Keith the other day ...

Does this now make WoG...

[sunglasses]

...-EPAWNYMOUS?

B)

Will this not mean even less interaction with real people ?
    Half the fun is moving your own models.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    If I read correctly, you still use your own models. I'm really curous how this is expected to work. Is the entire board going to be som form of flexible computer screen, or are they expecting to project images from the raised edges? At any rate, I'm assuming they'll somehow project your new location on the mat, and you will still have to actually move your own miniatures. It might actually fix a lot of "well, you were in range, but i nudged you whle measuring, so you're not now" issues. But at what price?

OOH! I'm excited to see this!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I'm totally in agreement with you and have to admit that I am wondering the same. It certainly does have the power to reduce the level of gameplay banter which many (including myself) view so favourably. The social side as well as this side to playing Wings of Glory as we know it are quite unique and not found elsewhere. As definitely not found to a greater extent playing PC games all the time! All along I have maintained how playing Glory beats the living daylights / hell etc out of what I have experienced playing PC games.

Also I am a true stick and rudder kid ... I don't do I-Pads!!!

I thought pawn was not allowed on this site

Aww, darn!

Am I gonna be able to do this as an MMO, over the Interweb? I'll be out of the Skype game business!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    At any rate, I'm assuming they'll somehow project your new location on the mat, and you will still have to actually move your own miniatures.
    I take that back... According to the video, the minis move on thier own. I don't know that it'll support a large enough board ofr big games, but it will be awesome to watch the board move all of the planes dynamically...

... According to the video ...
    Where is this video of which you speak ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Where is this video of which you speak ?
    http://www.epawnarena.com/

Thanks, Todd.

Not sure if this is gonna work the way I had hoped.
    Looks like it will turn WOG into a mash-em-up ..

That looks fantastic - would never do it but what an idea.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I must admit, having seen the video, not so keen. I thought it would still be turn based. Plan your moves then click to watch each step played out. If they move at the speed of the video, lots of scope for damaged planes too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post

Also I am a true stick and rudder kid ... I don't do I-Pads!!!
    +1

I just found this YouTube video which just shows the movement capabilities with Wings first and second world war. It doesnt show the CGI shooting and damage effects but, if you search on epawn on Youtube, there are videos showing the minis being hand moved interacting with Ai minis. Not written this off quite yet. Take a look here..

Wings of Glory and ePawn Arena: https://youtu.be/Oag4uVKat1c

It seems that the arena itself, apart from generating effects, creats its own appropriate playing surface which interacts with the minis too, clouds anyone?

In fact this video shows, briefly, Wings being played by selecting movement cards.

ePawn Arena, the connected board for gamers on Ki…: https://youtu.be/pWcmFkir08U

Making it much more like the original game. (you need to watch the whole 3 minute video to get a good idea)

Liking it more and more.
    Last edited by Dowters; 07-04-2015 at 00:57.

I watched the video. I do not think it will replace Skype games because it looks like a proximity game where the devices substitute for the board. Looks more like a Sony play station substitute to me.

FWIW, I'm not sure how this system will be able to handle airplane overlap. While I'm intrigued, I'd be more interested in seeing Sails of Glory adapted here....

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post

In fact this video shows, briefly, Wings being played by selecting movement cards.

ePawn Arena, the connected board for gamers on Ki…: https://youtu.be/pWcmFkir08U

Making it much more like the original game. (you need to watch the whole 3 minute video to get a good idea)

Liking it more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I watched the video. I do not think it will replace Skype games because it looks like a proximity game where the devices substitute for the board. Looks more like a Sony play station substitute to me.
    Looking at the second video linked by Nigel [Dowters], there is a two-player mode across the Interweb! At the 2:47 minute mark, it shows a chess game between players in New York and Paris. So, two player remote games are possible. Now, we need to get multi-player mode!
    Mike

FWIW, I'm not sure how this system will be able to handle airplane overlap. While I'm intrigued, I'd be more interested in seeing Sails of Glory adapted here....
    Now that could get me into So.

For sails i think it could work.
    The chess game is certainly a good idea as far as I am concerned, depending on the sophistication of the programme.
    I also liked the idea of the arena game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

As I said on the other thread, It's a fascinating concept, and yes, for chess it's would be a great thing. I can think of a bunch of other games it would be great for.
    just not WoG.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

An email exchange with the CEO, Christophe Duteil, provided that multiple players in different locations is not a technological issue, but a programing issue. He suggested a stretch goal may be added to the kickstarter project to make this work.

This could be soo cool.

Oh! We need a 'Record' and 'Output' option for AARs!

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Duteil
    The technology itself can replicate remote movement regardless of their origin. The server has to be extended to work with several players at once but there is no showstopper on the technical side. This gives me an idea for a stretch goal... :-)
    PS: The Kickstarter site alluded to a "Record & Playback" feature, so all that may be needed is a "Save & Load" feature, if it isn't already there.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-08-2015 at 08:26.
    Mike

I looked for the other thread but couldn't find it, so I'll post here.
    I get updates from the Kickstarter (although I never bought into it)
    They have added a couple of things that have been mentioned, although the cost is getting ridiculous:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretch Goal 1.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	171261

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strecth Goal 2.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	171262

Not the sort of money I would invest in what might never gain enough popularity to become a really easy game to find opponents whenever you wanted to play it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................don't think it's for me.

Similar Missions

1. Give Me Some Flak--More LED Fun
    By Nightmoss in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 18:07
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 00:18
  3. Several Hard To Get Planes Pending on Ebay
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 18:50
  4. Do you give your pilots fictional names?
    By Bartman in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 08:15
  5. Pending Rules...
    By artbraune in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 11:08