Thread: Miscellaneous Tips - Don't touch that mini

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Miscellaneous Tips - Don't touch that mini

I admit, I have problems and issues. I resolved to do something about some of those problems. One of the problems I think I've overcome involved gluing minis to my fingers, getting finger prints on models, smudging paint with my fingers, and getting blood* on painted minis. What I've done is to create tools to hold minis so that I can work on them without actually touching them.

I've cut up dowels into 6"-8" lengths and on one end of them I've glued a magnet or an alligator clip. The magnetized sticks work well for holding the smaller Armaments in Miniature (AIM) models that have steel screws in the belly. The alligator-clip holders work well for the larger AIM models or for other minis.

If the mini does not have a mounting point I add one. I will drill a small hole in the belly of the mini. Once the hole is there I will sometimes permanently attach a steel nail head. Other times I will temporarily insert a steel screw, a tooth pick, or a small wire.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tools and of the tools in action. I've found it convenient to have some foam trays to hold the minis between painting sessions or to hold them while their paint dries.

*Almost done with this batch of minis, hey where did that blood on the wing come from? Oh look, I sliced a portion of my finger off when I changed blades in the knife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7511 (1000x714).jpg   IMG_7509 (1000x694).jpg   20150624_161323 (750x1000).jpg   IMG_7513 (1000x750).jpg  

Hi Kevin,
    You have a lot of good ideas and suggestions. Quite a fleet of planes you have there, wow!
    I like the Future for covering the models, but I find it too shiny for my WWI planes. I used it a lot on my 1/43 slot cars and it was much better than poly sprays.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    I admit, I have problems and issues. I resolved to do something about some of those problems. One of the problems I think I've overcome involved gluing minis to my fingers, getting finger prints on models, smudging paint with my fingers, and getting blood* on painted minis. What I've done is to create tools to hold minis so that I can work on them without actually touching them.

I've cut up dowels into 6"-8" lengths and on one end of them I've glued a magnet or an alligator clip. The magnetized sticks work well for holding the smaller Armaments in Miniature (AIM) models that have steel screws in the belly. The alligator-clip holders work well for the larger AIM models or for other minis.

If the mini does not have a mounting point I add one. I will drill a small hole in the belly of the mini. Once the hole is there I will sometimes permanently attach a steel nail head. Other times I will temporarily insert a steel screw, a tooth pick, or a small wire.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tools and of the tools in action. I've found it convenient to have some foam trays to hold the minis between painting sessions or to hold them while their paint dries.

*Almost done with this batch of minis, hey where did that blood on the wing come from? Oh look, I sliced a portion of my finger off when I changed blades in the knife.
    Don't have those problems to much any more. My big one is dropping and loosing parts in ,on the carpet

Even after all this time I can still nick fingers with the best of them Kevin.
    My favourite trick is to push metal cabine struts into minis with my bare fingers, and hey presto a punctured thumb yet again. Some of us never learn. Now I'm happily doing it with masts and flag jacks for my Battleships as well.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Miscellaneous Tips - Mottled Camouflage
    By miscmini in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2015, 02:48
  2. Miscellaneous Tips - reshaping resin
    By miscmini in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 08:30
  3. A touch of madness
    By Gbear58 in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 0