Ares Games

Thread: Malta Mission 8. Sneak attack by the Luftwaffe. February 41. The Bulldogs.

Default Malta Mission 8. Sneak attack by the Luftwaffe. February 41. The Bulldogs.

As Kyte began his inspection of the Luqa airfield he recalled the words of Air Vice Marshall Maynard to him at the beginning of the month, just after the Illustrious had slipped out of Grand Harbour on its way to Egypt and thence to the repair yards of the United States, he had remarked on the rapidly escalating number of air raids made by the Luftwaffe. "They don't like us Kyte" he remarked with his usual droll sense of humour.
    How right he was reflected Kyte, as he watched the tired out Hurricane Pilots of 852 Bulldogs, hurriedly refuelling for the third time that day. Three raids on Valletta already and it was only just past noon, The heat searing off the tarmac and only the end of February.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ww2oldmalta2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	169832

As he watched, the claxon sounded a warning of another incoming air raid.
    Only two Hurricanes responded. The only two so far refueled and armed.
    Flight Lt. Jack Walters, and Pilot Officer W J (Timber) Woods rose from the Drome in just over 2 minutes from the alarm being given. Expecting to be directed back to Valletta, Walters was surprised when the RT crackled into life, and the well known reassuring voice came over the airwaves. "Hot Dog to Tango one. Bandits bearing 130 degrees, at 20,000. looks like a couple of 110s heading your way."
    "Roger that Hot Dog. Tango one out." Jack replied.
    "Did you get that Timber?"
    "Got it Jack." Came back the reply in Timbers laconic Somerset burr.
    "Let's get them then." Replied Walters, and his RT clicked off.

Name:	IMG_0608.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	169834

Both aircraft swung away from the Drome struggling for the height that they knew would be needed to come down on their adversaries like the avenging angels that they were.

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	169837

Meanwhile, the German aircraft comprising two Me 110s and a JU87 were using the main raids over Valletta as cover for a sneak attack on Luqa airfield.
    They were not entirely unobserved, however, as they discovered on crossing the coastline. The Maltese AA batteries were up to their usual standard, and Flack started to fill the sky all around the marauders.

Name:	Malta-2.jpg 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	169865

Within a few minutes, they had accounted for the Stuka with a direct hit which sent it blazing down the sky into the cliff face below.

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	169833

Weathering the storm the pair of MEs pressed on toward the airfield.

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	169835

Passing over the Harbour they began their dive towards the unsuspecting aircrews refueling the rest of Jack and timbers Squadron.

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	169836

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	169840

Having completed their turn but still climbing for height, they both knew that it was going to be a very close call on who arrived first over the Drome.

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	169839

All four aircraft were approaching the meeting point at their optimum speed.

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	169838

Just as Jack and Timber crossed the outer perimeter fence, the 110s dropped the incendiaries with which they had been specially equipped for this mission.

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	169841

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	169845

With flack again bursting around them, both MEs let fly at the parked aircraft and hangers clearly visible below them.

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	169846

Even before the bombs hit home Jack and Timber were upon the first German Aircraft.

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	169847

Diving in, they blasted it from above, wounding the pilot and crippling one of the engines in the first pass. No return fire came in as the Germans had not yet pulled up from their bombing dive.
    Then the bombs struck home, interspersed with the staccato rattle of machine gun and cannon fire.

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	169848

Both tail gunners took the opportunity to take revenge upon the rear of the two receding Hurricanes.

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	169849

The damage to the Drome was considerable. In that first pass, the main hanger was set on fire at one end, A Maryland was destroyed, one of the accommodation huts was wrecked, and two refuelling Hurricanes were gutted when the fuel bowser was strafed.
    Pulling a banking turn, both Hurricanes strove to overhaul the now lighter and faster 110s.

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	169850

Soon both aircraft were within range, and exchanging fire.

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	169851

Timber with the wounded bird trying to turn for home, and Jack head on into the other machine which had also executed a banking turn in order to get another run on the airfield.
    Whilst Timber started to put the last few nails into the coffin of the hurt ME, Jack was savaged by the superior fire power of his antagonist. his engine began to run rough, and large holes were now visible in both wings. How he survived the storm of lead and shrapnel unscathed he never really understood.
    With a smart turn inside the faltering 110, Timber now put it to bed with a sustained burst, and watched as it lost power and slid down the sky into a rough crash landing in a belt of scrub land.

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	169852

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	169853

Having got back onto the tail of the other 110, Jack opened fire and jammed its rudder, although return shots from the rear of the German machine added to his woe by starting the already wounded engine smoking as well.

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	169854

Unable to prevent another strafing attack, Jack had to watch as the 110 calmly destroyed another Maryland and a Stringbag in front of its hanger.

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	169855

Furious with himself for allowing this second affront, he pursued the enemy aircraft with vitriolic abandon, oblivious to the steadily mounting damage accruing on his already crippled Hurricane.
    luck came to him as he tried a long range shot, afraid that his nemesis might yet escape his clutches. A lucky ricochet hit the rear gunner a glancing blow across the forehead, and he lost his vision for a critical few minutes.

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	169856

Jack now roared over the devastated airfield in remorseless pursuit of the German.
    With his engine damage he was only just able to keep within maximum range, but continued to pump in rounds whenever the 110 crossed his sights.

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	169857

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	169858

Finally just as the AA resumed its barrage, he hit it in a strategic part, and watched with satisfaction and relief as it dived to earth.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	169859

Two parachutes blossoming in its wake, as the rear gunner recovered just in time to bail out with his pilot.

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	169861

It was now time for Jack to nurse his wreck back to the remains of the airfield and try to get down in one piece between the burning aircraft and bomb craters, without allowing Kyte to witness a prang. If he had but known, at that very moment Kyte was ruefully surveying the large smoking hole in the ground where a few minutes earlier his bike had stood.

Name:	Kytes bike..jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	169866

The Butchers Bill.

261 Sq. Luqa. (Bulldogs.)

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	169863

Pilot Officer WJ "Timber" Woods. RTB One Kill. Minor damage.
    Flt. Lt. Jack Walters. RTB. One kill. Major structural damage and ****ey engine.

Zerstorergeschwader 26.111Gruppe.

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	169862

Two Me 110s SD. Crews dead or PoWs.

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	169864

Luqa Airfield severely damaged.

Destroyed on the ground:-

2 Martin Marylands, two Hurricanes, and one Fairey Swordfish.
    One disassociated JU87 SD by AA fire, and one Raleigh bicycle.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0632.jpg  
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done. Bad luck on the part of the Raliegh.

I enjoy your AAR 's they are always entertaining. Like your airfield set up where is it from?

Thumbs up

Really great 3D scenary Rob & an action filled cracker of a stouch!
    Anyway none of the Krauts got back to boast about their success.

Amazing AAR and stunning photos.
    The airfield is a beauty, Rob.
    You're always setting new standards for all of us.
    Unfortunately the Brass doesn't allow me to give you well deserved REP.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Nicely done. Bad luck on the part of the Raliegh.
    Don't worry Dale, Kyte will bounce back to even greater things, thanks to the generosity of a certain Canadian Pilot by the name of McNair.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Amazing AAR and stunning photos.
    The airfield is a beauty, Rob.
    You're always setting new standards for all of us.
    I have to add my commendation as well for an extremely interesting read.
    Your photos are awesome - I especially love the first shot of the two hurricanes climbing.
    I also like your flak and ground explosions. They look terrific.

Too bad about the bike - nice touch.
    At least the bar remained intact, wot?

Thrilling Sortie as usual Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I enjoy your AAR 's they are always entertaining. Like your airfield set up where is it from?
    Sorry Darell.
    I have looked through all the contact lists I have and can't find the address.
    The only hope is that I got the information from someone on here in the first place.
    Rob.

Beautiful Rob just beautiful.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sorry Darell.
    I have looked through all the contact lists I have and can't find the address.
    The only hope is that I got the information from someone on here in the first place.
    Rob.
    No problem, I just have to keep looking.

Got it Darell.
    Thanks to QB Fox's post on Train files.

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Small...ery/index.html

Rob.

Similar Missions

1. BRF Malta Mission 8: Sneak attack by the Lufwaffe February 1941
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 12:05
  2. AAR Malta 1940. A strange encounter. (Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-28-2014, 01:20
  3. AAR Malta Scenario 5. Chaos on the ground. (Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 23:04
  4. Air Attack Malta!
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-14-2014, 19:05
  5. Sneak attack at Trondheim
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 15:52