Ares Games

Thread: Train files

Default Train files

Hi all,

I reckon back in 2011 or so I read about train files being in the download section. Anyone know if they are still there and if so where please?

I was thinking about flying a mission or two against them using some cooper bombs.

Not the best one, but try this part of Files: Knigths of the Air Campaign Files
    The Train Mission is a part of KotA Campaign

Thank you Dan-Sam very quick reply.

If you need some tracks, here are the files:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=855
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I took me some time too - I was searching in WWI Game Aides for a while. But KotA is the right place

Thanks, Karl, for tracks support

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I have definitely seen train files and track files in the Downloads section of the Aerodrome. Came across them as I fancied a spot of Train Busting playing WGS and tried to print a couple of these out: They came out fine - there are two trains if I remember correctly plus a selection of straight and curved track sections. Everything fits together fine too when laid out on a gaming mat.

Hope this is of some use and that you find what you are looking for

In a Train Busting type of mission is important to have much faster minis than haunted train. It is a little similar as Hit the Bomber mission - if the bomber or train are too fast, attacking plane can attack them only once or twice and after that is is too far from moving target.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for this thread, guys! I was hoping for some train action, too, and I would LOVE to find some appropriate actual train 'ground targets' to put on the table. But trains are expensive!!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    .... back in 2011 or so I read about train files being in the download section. Anyone know if they are still there and if so where please?...
    Look here in the WW2 section Gary - loads of track and train stuff that might suit - bridges too.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

If you fancy 3D to stand on your downloaded tracks, I got this 6mm set from Irregular Miniatures for £9.

Name:  DSCN1174trains1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  65.3 KB

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Those look really neat, Rob - I was stumbling around the internet looking for train targets...

I'll have to give their website a go.

All the best,
    Matt

I have heaps of the track sections, but they never seem to have the trains in stock.........................

I have a spare Loco you can have.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have a spare Loco you can have.
    Rob.
    Ooooh, yes please!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Amazing ... 3D Train Targets and track to go with them. I'm a huge fan of using 3D scenery already but this I will be taking a very serious look into.

Even without trains railway lines themselves were important strategic targets in both wars: Mostly destroyed by air power during WW2 though. Although I do have to admit that actual Train Busting does appeal more to me if there is plenty of track but no trains to be had then maybe not all is lost ... Something else to have on a gaming mat other than just roads and dirt tracks all the time which with care can be painted on but yet still be categorised as 3D scenery. Clever.

Just noticed the diesel locomotive in the top right corner of F/O Kyte's photo ... Looks like a Class 35 'Hymek' diesel but apart from that the rest looks authentic!

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/ found under 6mm Scenics and Accessories. Irregular Miniatures are based in York in the United Kingdom and deal with a whole plethora of eras and scales. They also have tanks and vehicles in 6 mm scale. I don't know what scale 1/144 is in millimetres for WGF but the likelihood is that Irregular Miniatures stocks and produces appropriate items.
    Last edited by Tonx; 07-06-2015 at 13:15. Reason: Include link to Irregular Miniatures.

I will post it on.
    Just made a note to self. Send Tim Loco.
    Rob.

I will post it on.
    Rob.
    Thanks WingCo!

I have a little something for you as well - please PM me your address and I will send it on.

i see im not the only one who likes trains i have n-scale layouts

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Black Kniggit View Post
    i see im not the only one who likes trains i have n-scale layouts
    There are two different types of N Gauge - American N and European N one of which I am pretty positive is 1/144 scale: Same scale as WGF.

Upsize to what I have running around the attic and you find OO Gauge or 1/76 Scale ... The European and US equivalent is HO Gauge which is 1/87 Scale and actually more accurate so I believe - OO Gauge appears to be rather a British thing. I run this layout now and again: More since my construction kit building days came to a close during 2014. It is actually quite a therapeutic interest thinks me to be able to run a train layout away from having fun Train Busting whilst playing WGS!!!

Probably a silly question but do you have your trains actually running while playing train busters

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Probably a silly question but do you have your trains actually running while playing train busters
    Though it looks and sounds like fun I have yet to stage a Train Bust playing WGS which would need the dining room table downstairs to accommodate it anyway. The kitchen table which measures 90 cm x 90 cm same as my smallest gaming mat would probably be too small especially if the train was to actually move as opposed to remaining stationery throughout the scenario.

I am seriously thinking of buying some of these train parts from Irregular Miniatures now - even if I end up with just track / something which resembles a Class 35 'Hymek' diesel it all adds to my 3D scenery inventory! As to how far the train would move per turn I am not at all sure and will have to seek help / ideas as to this one. Like a ship a train presents an unusual and interesting target. With four wheeled vehicles present in it's consist the average WW2 train would probably attain something around the 50 to 60 MPH mark in terms of running speed. The earlier Crimea and Wild West style trains probably around the 30 MPH to 40 MPH speed mark: See website. As for the diesel locomotives they would be capable of faster speeds but governed by the max running speed of the stock in tow so we arrive back at the 50 to 60 MPH speed mark again: See website or F/O Kyte's photo.
    Last edited by Tonx; 07-07-2015 at 03:27. Reason: MAJOR rephrase of opening sentence.

Running depends on what you mean. If the scenario warrants it. ie. it is not an attack on a rail yard, we move the train one ruler thickness each card. I do not use 144 scale because I want to get the idea of perspective in my photos, so I always use ground targets at a lesser scale than the aircraft.
    Rob.

Strictly speaking, the ground scale in Wings of Glory is ~1:1000, which is 2mm.

Irregular Miniatures do a train in 2mm, with track.
    http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk...2mmScenics.htm
    Name:  Untitled-12MMTRAIN.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  173.5 KB

If you fancy a rail yard, Brigade Models make one in 1/1000th.
    http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Small.../SSS-8024.html
    Name:  SSS-8024.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  57.8 KB
    Last edited by QB Fox; 07-07-2015 at 03:49.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just discoverered that 6 mm is 1/300 Scale if anybody like me is unfamiliar with millimetres. Just to recap WGF are 1/144 Scale and WGS are 1/200 Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Just discoverered that 6 mm is 1/300 Scale if anybody like me is unfamiliar with millimetres. Just to recap WGF are 1/144 Scale and WGS are 1/200 Scale.
    And to elaborate on my earlier post, people on this forum much cleverer than me have estimated that speed, range and so on indicate that Wings is actually played at ~1:1000, even though the gaming pieces are much larger.

The happy side effect of this is that if you set up the ground using models at 1:1000 or 1:1200 or 2mm*, then not only do you get a lovely forced perspective, but they actually the right scale for the movement and so on.

* 2mm war-gaming scale, 1 man is 2mm high, not 2mm railways which is whole other scale again.

Thanks Fox.
    You have just ended my quest for this manufacturer of my Airfield.
    Rob.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_scale ... Z Scale or Z Gauge is 1:220 Scale or 6.5mm - very handy for using in conjunction with WGS and features fully workable / moveable trains.

Manufacturers listed are located in Germany, Japan and the United States. Only drawback is this looks like a pricey option in the shape and form it is shown in here. There may be other options available which are the equivalent of or which could be considered the equivalent of a Z Gauge model. If anybody comes across anything at least we now know more about this scale.

Here is my WW1 Goods train in action somewhere in Belgium, or rather out of action.

Name:  Train..jpg
Views: 146
Size:  128.8 KB

Rob.

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

That looks splendid, Rob! 6mm or 1/3ooth(or 1/285th) seems to be THE scale for ground targets. I think this reinforces for me that this is also the scale I want to use for tanks and guns as ground targets - thank goodness that so many folks produce vehicles and guns to choose from for us!

I need to order this little gem. But I also like the smaller rail yard and building you found, Fox - those would be great for a massed bomber scenario.

So many cool figures, so little time (and money)
    All the best,
    Matt

I now have all sorts of vehicles and buildings in 1:1000th/2mm.

I have The Dawn Patrol board game and that features a paper map with an airfield and rail yards that I had enlarged and printed some time ago. I think with the trains in the files section and the advice you stout aviators have given me I have the makings of a pretty good mission for next Monday. By the way, what about T scale for real trains? I hear it is smaller than Z scale for those that want to get closer to 1/1000

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

From what I have experienced 1/1000 Scale is tiny! Bit of a challenge to paint but excellent for giving the impression of ground targets viewed at height and speed. Though I have not got any vehicles or trains in this scale I have got some metal model airliners in 1/1000 scale including the Boeing 747-400 which has a wingspan of around 5 centimetres.

So I can only hazard a guess on the basis of that as to how tiny these train components must be. Amazing stuff ...

Here is my WW1 Goods train in action somewhere in Belgium, or rather out of action.

Name:  Train..jpg
Views: 146
Size:  128.8 KB

Rob.
    You never cease to amaze me.

I will post it on.
    Rob.
    Loco arrived safe and sound. Many thanks!

Similar Missions

1. New train steams in.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2015, 02:29
  2. Train and Rail Guns - WW1
    By Scott in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 14:59
  3. KoTA 7a. Destroy the Train.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 9