Ares Games

Thread: Italian WW2-Era Board Game

Default Italian WW2-Era Board Game

https://www.facebook.com/ansible/med...2577657&type=3

Author David Langford dug up this. His words: "Family heirloom: all that survives of an Italian board game. Ever played it? Looks a bit like a tank-warfare version of Snakes & Ladders."

The first pic appears to be the rules; between the fuzziness of the pic, and my inability to read Italian....

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Almost looks like a Panzer I on the box-top picture...what an interesting find!

All the best,
    Matt

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Had a look at the link and can't see anything ... All I can see is 'David Langford' and a picture of Harlech Castle in Wales?

What is the game called? If we have a name it can be Googled and more information may come to light that way.

Sounds very interesting - wondering if it is an Italian version of 'Advance' which I used to have when I was very young. This too was like Tanks meets Snakes and Ladders but in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Had a look at the link and can't see anything ... All I can see is 'David Langford' and a picture of Harlech Castle in Wales?
    Same here!

The box lid reads "la guerra di movimento tattica e strategia" which google translates (sorry, mono-lingual Brit here) as "mobile warfare tactics and strategy".

There's a copy for sale on the Italian e-bay site, with photos, but they don't ring any bells with me re: anything similar I've ever seen.

And it's not in the BGG database.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Attachment 169813

This is selling for EUR 161.00 ... Gordon Bennett. Must be a sort after vintage item!

The game itself looks like it is played on a two-colour chequered board similar to Chess and Drafts. The game pieces are wooden and do not resemble actual tanks and infantry etc they are more like formed wooden pieces. Each different piece no doubt represents something like a tank unit or infantry unit - think more along the lines of 'Diplomacy' where a 'shell' type shape represents an army and an oblong with a pointed end represents a naval fleet.

Definitely more of a traditional board game thinks me from what I could see. But as to why the hefty price tag is attached I have no idea: This is selling for around GBP £140.00!
    Last edited by Tonx; 07-01-2015 at 08:26. Reason: Include better description.

To see the page you have to log into Facebook. Yes it is a Pzkw I on the box. The things we find when going into old places.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    To see the page you have to log into Facebook. Yes it is a Pzkw I on the box. The things we find when going into old places.
    One thing I would find if I went into my old life is my Facebook account and the way I used to be absolutely glued to it ... I am sure there are others like me who have either never had a Facebook page (and are definitely not missing anything) or now live a better life in a Facebook-free environment who will be glad of that picture I found and posted on here if this is the case.

Sorry to sound bitter but the amount of trouble and grief which originated from people I know or have known and their Facebook accounts makes me shudder to even think about it these days!

Amazed that this does not appear in the BGG Database if it is sought after and valuable. With an interesting name too which both acts as a title as well as an effective game description too at the same time ... 'Mobile Warfare Tactics and Strategy' as mentioned above by Brian (Archidamus.)

I got it forwarded to me from The SO, who needs an FB account to work with the lemmings in the rest of the world; I for one am not allowing Zuckerberg to have my personal data.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  2. Do you paint your game board or not?
    By sirosis o liver in forum Polls
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-21-2015, 20:41
  3. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  4. More than 100 up on the Italian Wing board
    By Attila57 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 02:38
  5. seen on board game geek
    By nunyadbidness in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 10:53