Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Mission 13 The Hunter in the sky

Default OTTED Mission 13 The Hunter in the sky

The Halb swooped low over the Bulldogs airfield, deliberately stalling its engine as it passed low over the Mess Hut in order to get the pilots attention. It worked a treat. Ron ,Pip and the rest of the Squadron came tumbling out of the main door in time to see the package the soggy turf that was the airstrip A slow barrel roll and he was gone , heading back to the safety of his lines.

Over lunch the Bulldogs mulled over the challenge set before them.
    One of the French locals who supplied wine for the mess and was originally from the Alsace region had translated the message dropped earlier.

Ron Curtis was the first to break the silence

"So this Oblt Lange wants to joust it out with Jonty then,They must be ticked off about all those planes he brought down"
    " Never heard of they man" Hall piped up "Must have a death wish with Jonty on form as he is"

A ripple of laughter broke out.
    "Well seems the game is off ,mores the pity. Jonty is of on his jolly till the 21st and this chap wants to play knights of the sky on the 17th" The Mess let out a low groan of disappointment.

' Jonty might not be here but his kite is" Flinch commented . "Seems a shame to let the Bosche down after all the trouble they have gone to . They might think we were not up for it, Matter of Squadron pride eh what"

There was a murmur of approval from those present

"So who wants to fly his plane?" Curtis asked

The entire room erupted . each pilot trying to outbid his colleague for the chance to fly.

" Quiet " The Co s voice boomed above the din ."We will draw straws , that way its fair. Now back to business formation flying at 3.00"

Hibbet saw the river below and began to circle glancing nervously from side to side. Passing the destroyed bridge for the second time he saw it. The yellow fuselage and familiar shape of an Albatross closing in on his tail.

" This is it "he thought, " Hope he got a good look at Jontys plane.

The German had and iimmediatly began to change his course. Hibbet banked the Tripe right choosing not to go head to head this early in the fight. but Lange caught him as he turned (3)

Jamming the rudder hard Hibbet pulled the Tripe round and found himself at almost right angles to the Albatross Squeezing a long burst off he heard the dull click of his guns as they froze (2, 0+GJ)

In a effort to keep as close to Lange and therefore reduce his chances of firing Hibbet side slipped and watched as his opponant swept by in a graceful starboard turn. Hibbet mimicked Lange while working to free his guns.

Just as the damaged casing fell to the floor Hibbet saw the Albatross pass in front of him, he fired quickly without taking aim (1,0)

Unexpetedly Lange seemed to stall his plane and the Tripe was suddenly almost touching its tail before it banked right

Lang appeared to be flying very cautiously and Hibbet kept reminding himself of the Tripes only good point tight turns." that should keep me out of his way" he muttered They started to circle each other Hibbet tailing Lange the Tripes turns closing down the distance between them.

A burst from Hibbet and a resulting plume of oily smoke trailed from Lange's plane.(1+smoke)

a second squirt and fabric began to peel off the Yellow fuselage (0,3)

Hibbet side slipped though the smoke hoping for another crack at him but he was gone Instintivly Hibbet pulled right then sideslipped out of the smoke trail to see the Albatross turning towards him.

Hibbet fired The Albatross slewed to the right slowly, its wing dipping as it spirraled towards the river below Hibbet watched as it skidpanned into the low hedges beside a field its nose burrying itself in the soft mud and catapulting Lange free from the wreckage. (XP)

Hibbet flew low over the crash, seeing no movement from the splayed body on the ground. Reaching down in the cockpit Hibbit picked up a small package and aimed it at the prone body before swinging the Tripe back towards the Allied lines.

Result

RFC. Lt Peter Hibbet. RTD 1Kill

Central Powers

Obltn Franz Lange Ace. LG1, Ac pilot, Evasion 1+2, Deadly aim, DGC1,
    SD/NML: Rolled 7 -3Exp -1NML = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 4 - He'll be back !

Even an Ace cannot escape the boom card
    Well well well it only goes to show that the as long as you keep out of the gunsights of an Ace you stand chance.

The Tripe really had the advantage with the tight right turns and if the Albatross had ever got on the Tripes tail I might have been able to shake him off.
    A relatively short game of 8 turns but that kind of reflects what you might expect with a 1on1 fight.
    I rolled for who would take Jontys place and young Peter Hibbet got the goggles. As for the random ace ability rolled and got evasive 2.
    Last edited by flash; 06-25-2015 at 23:00. Reason: Title adjustment

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice flying for Hibbert. Jonty will have a higher price on his head now and not know why!
    If Lange survives he will warn the Eagles of how agile the Tripe is.

Fantastic! Really enjoyed that narrative - a good day for Hibbet!

A real breath of fresh air after all those huge skirmishes.
    It also goes to confirm what I have been thinking for some time.
    Agility and one gun can beat two guns if you can avoid a head to head.
    Well flown Hibbet, and Peter of course.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Bravo young Mr Hibbet - Victory achieved and bagged an ace for his first victory to boot !
    The ace skill he has attained is apt as you didn't seem to exercise it in your game Paul...
    Deadly Aim I - Pilot can add +1 aim bonus even if he didn't shoot at plane in previous phase (This is only to the first damage card drawn). - Once per turn.
    I hope he can put it to good use in future missions.
    Last edited by flash; 06-25-2015 at 23:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A real breath of fresh air after all those huge skirmishes.
    It also goes to confirm what I have been thinking for some time.
    Agility and one gun can beat two guns if you can avoid a head to head.
    Well flown Hibbet, and Peter of course.
    Kyte.
    Seemed the right way to go as in a head to head the chances are slim, at least you can out turn him, admittedly only by turning right.
    A non AI would have figured it out I hope

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bravo young Mr Hibbet - Total Victory achieved and bagged an ace for his first victory to boot !
    The ace skill he has attained is apt as you didn't seem to exercise it in your game Paul...
    Deadly Aim I - Pilot can add +1 aim bonus even if he didn't shoot at plane in previous phase (This is only to the first damage card drawn). - Once per turn.
    I hope he can put it to good use in future missions.
    Very much appreciated. He will use it wisely

Quote Originally Posted by degodave View Post
    Fantastic! Really enjoyed that narrative - a good day for Hibbet!
    Thanks Dave and as you say a good day for Hibbet

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nice flying for Hibbert. Jonty will have a higher price on his head now and not know why!
    If Lange survives he will warn the Eagles of how agile the Tripe is.
    Good point Peter. Dave can you do a role for Lange and add him to my enemy roster please. He might have a further part to play in this campaign

Smile

Great flying there mate!
    Young Hibbert hopefully will have a long career ahead of him!

That BOOM card reminded me of last Tuesdays games club game.
    We had 2 SE 5a's Vs a Gotha bomber & the first shot from the Gotha's rear gunner resulted in the B BOOM card for one of the SE's.

It was dark. So dark. Why was it so dark ? Where was he ? Wasn't he flying today...? He was - that verdammt Englander had bested him..... was he dead ? Is this what it feels like to be dead ? But he was breathing.... and he was hurting ...and he could hear voices. He shouted but nothing came and what did was muffled by his surroundings. What was going on ?
    The voices were closer "Is he dead ?"
    "No I'm not dead !" He shouted
    "He must be"
    "No I'm not"
    "We'd better check"
    "Yes, check - check me, I'm sure I'm alive"
    "They'll want to know who he is"
    They moved him, rolling him onto his back - the pain came - he groaned
    "Jesus ! He's alive"
    "I told you I was" croaked Franz
    "I think he's trying to speak"
    It's still dark, am I blind ? Have I been blinded? Why can't I see.....At that point light seared into his eyes as a young soldier removed his mud coated goggles from his face.
    "You're going to be alright" he said ....
    "Is this your package ?"

Obltn Franz Lange: Ace. LG1, Ac pilot, Evasion 1+2, Deadly Aim, DGC1,
    Rolled 7 -3Exp -1NML = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 4 - He'll be back !

I have given Franz 35 kills in the probable column & the Pour le Merite etc as befits his high ace status. I will leave the rest of the story telling up to you

Hibbet has received the CdG from the French for his efforts as most of Lange's victims have been French.

This narrative is based on a true story - my friend a motorcycle cop was taken out at a junction and catapulted face down into a ditch. These are some of the things that he told me went through his mind before they lifted the visor of his helmet !
    Last edited by flash; 06-26-2015 at 00:16.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Great action there Paul I agree about the sharp turns being quite an advantage in a 1 on 1 - I used it with the Pup in my mission to mostly keep out of the Hun ace's sights

Well done young Hibbet on a famous victory!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It was dark. So dark. Why was it so dark ? Where was he ? Wasn't he flying today...? He was - that verdammt Englander had bested him..... was he dead ? Is this what it feels like to be dead ? But he was breathing.... and he was hurting ...and he could hear voices. He shouted but nothing came and what did was muffled by his surroundings. What was going on ?
    The voices were closer "Is he dead ?"
    "No I'm not dead !" He shouted
    "He must be"
    "No I'm not"
    "We'd better check"
    "Yes, check - check me, I'm sure I'm alive"
    "They'll want to know who he is"
    They moved him, rolling him onto his back - the pain came - he groaned
    "Jesus ! He's alive"
    "I told you I was" croaked Franz
    "I think he's trying to speak"
    It's still dark, am I blind ? Have I been blinded? Why can't I see.....At that point light seared into his eyes as a young soldier removed his mud coated goggles from his face.
    "You're going to be alright" he said ....
    "Is this your package ?"

Obltn Franz Lange: Ace. LG1, Ac pilot, Evasion 1+2, Deadly Aim, DGC1,
    Rolled 7 -3Exp -1NML = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios; Rolled 4 - He'll be back !

I have given Franz 35 kills in the probable column & the Pour le Merite etc as befits his high ace status. I will leave the rest of the story telling up to you

Hibbet has received the CdG from the French for his efforts as most of Lange's victims have been French.

This narrative is based on a true story - my friend a motorcycle cop was taken out at a junction and catapulted face down into a ditch. These are some of the things that he told me went through his mind before they lifted the visor of his helmet !
    Many thanks for that Dave , and a gong for good measure
    . Hope your mate didn't end up like Lange.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Hope your mate didn't end up like Lange.
    Nah, Gonzo was fine - very lucky, the lady jumped a red light and stuck her car's nose into his lane - he completed 'the running dismount' after vaulting over the bonnet and landed face first into the ditch - preferable to the roadway that's for sure - briefly knocked out but mostly winded and a little bruised though none the worse for all that. Six weeks or so later someone else did the same to him on another road and again he had a narrow escape with minor injuries landing on a nice fluffy verge that time !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Well it makes a very good narrative Dave.
    That was the best story ending for an NPC I have ever seen.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Two thumbs up for the aar and the final narrative.

Want to ghost write my next AAR Dave

Heck no ! Have enough trouble stringing words together for mine !!

Similar Missions

1. AAR AAR OTTTEY Mission 10 3 Bridges (Jeff, Lloyd and Beau)
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 11:11
  2. AAR OTT ED Mission 13---Hunter in the Skies---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 07:43
  3. Mission 12: Hunter's Sky
    By HotleadColdfeet in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 20:47
  4. AAR Mission 3: Hunter in the Skies! (Entente)
    By steel_ratt in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 09:19
  5. Mission 3: The Hunter in the Skies
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 12:22