Ares Games

Thread: Italian WW2 Aviation - Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II Thread

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up Italian WW2 Aviation - Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II Thread

Cannot already see one of these here so I am going to start a Hobby Room Thread about the Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II. I have just repainted my first and plan to repaint more of this aircraft type being into Italian WW2 Aviation ...

Developed from the Reggiane Re.2000 the Re.2001 Falco II proved to be a formidable opponent to the Allies in the Mediterranean Theatre from 1941 onwards. From this aircraft was developed the Reggiane Re.2002 Ariete in 1943 which was built both as a single-seat fighter and as a two-seat reconnaissance aircraft although only two of these were ever built during 1943. The aircraft type is available as a regular release from Ares Games for Wings of Glory WW2 / WGS. Two editions are available as Airplane Packs with a third available only with the four-set of WW2 Starter Set Miniatures.

Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II - 'Metelmicchi Edition'

My First Repaint.

Attachment 168102

Nicknamed the 'Metelmicchi Edition' as this repaint is based on the existing 'Metellini Edition' until more is known about it. Inspired by an illustration in Bill Gunston's Fighting Aircraft of World War 2 the decals used were mostly drawn from spare sets which I had and in two cases are slightly over-size. If anybody thinks that 'Metelmicchi' sounds familiar ... Correct, it did used to be shown on ITV on Saturday afternoons throughout the 1980s and I used to be a huge fan!

The paints used were Revell acrylics - in the case of the dark green this was achieved through a mix of 60% Revell Dark Green / 40% Revell Black and this came out rather well. Following application and treatment of the decals with Decalfix one coat of Revell clear varnish - matt was applied. This was mostly to protect the decals and differs only very slightly from the original finish.

Attachment 168106

Attachment 168107

Attachment 168108

My plan is to repaint at least three more of these aircraft: One of which will be into German markings. This will be by far the most complicated of these repaints as I face having to cut the decals to size from 1/72 Scale ... Unless anybody knows of an easier alternative where German insignia are available in 1/200 Scale. Please post details if you know of any possibilities / applicable decals available in 1/200 Scale as this would help me out enormously! Otherwise a very warm welcome to this Italian WW2 Aviation thread.

Aussietonka,
    If you don't already know about Matt (Methusla on Ebay), then you NEED too!!
    He has decals in all scales.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/mehusla/m...53.m2749.l2654

PS nice repaint too. Try doing some canopy frames with decals or thin pained tape.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by pbhawkin View Post
    Aussietonka,
    If you don't already know about Matt (Methusla on Ebay), then you NEED too!!
    He has decals in all scales.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/mehusla/m...53.m2749.l2654

PS nice repaint too. Try doing some canopy frames with decals or thin pained tape.
    Peter thank you very much for this advice ... I vaguely know the name Methusla from somewhere on e-Bay and I will go and check what he has for sale out. Hopefully he will be able to help out with the German markings required in 1/200 scale as I am seriously not looking forward to cutting these to size from 1/72 scale decals! Could also do with some spare Italian decals as well though that may be pushing it ... Thanks Again!

He has them! I am looking at them on his Ebay store.
    IT-100 for Italian
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_o...waffe&_sacat=0 for Luftwaffe

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Yes - have just been browsing through what Methusla has available on E-Bay and have seen both the Luftwaffe and Italian insignia which he has available in the correct scale.

I SERIOUSLY owe you a for this one Peter
    Last edited by Tonx; 06-15-2015 at 22:43. Reason: Typo!

I agree I have found his stuff excellent Barney.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Schrage Musik and the Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II Quandary ...
    By Tonx in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-15-2015, 06:31
  2. The recovery of a single-seat fighter Re.2000 Reggiane "Falco"
    By Attila57 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 07:49
  3. The recovery of a single-seat fighter Re.2000 Reggiane "Falco"
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 13:23
  4. National: Reggiane CN Falco II Cerretani