Ares Games

Thread: Zeppelin House Rules

matthew_mole

Default Zeppelin House Rules

So I've noticed several postings about Zeppelin models. What house rules and scenarios do people use for them?

Regards
    Matt

Here is a link to a thread of pictures and at the end the scenario I made up for conventions
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2098

Brian

Weapons: Three on the top near the front. Three on the Top near the rear. Each Gondola would have two firing out of each side. All MGs would use the 'B' damage deck.

Climb Rate of 4.

The Zeppelins have a massive turning radius. Have you ever played any Naval miniatures rules? Turning a Zeppelin would be like turning a Large class ship in Naval miniatures. Basically... turns are incremental, moving forward one inch, and turning the nose of the ship in the direction your are turning at about 15 degrees. This would take about 6 maneuver cards to change the direction by ninety degrees (even this is unrealistic... perhaps requiring the ship to move one forward movement between each incremental 15 degree turn would closer simulate the distance/turning radius of a Zeppelin.

The Zeppelin has 100 damage points.

Pilot Death card, would silence one of the Guns on the Zeppelin, nearest the firing arch of the attacking aircraft. However, like in Flight of the Giants, you could have another crew member man the silenced gun after a turn, but you can only do this crew replacement a minimum number of times, (ie. the three mounted guns on the top near the front, only has three gunners to move around. If you silence that area three times, then all are permanently silenced.)

The Explosion card? Treat it almost like a Balloon exploding in the Burning Drachen rules, in that I would have any aircraft within half a ruler distance form the part of the Zeppellin that is in the firing arch of the attacking plane, draw a 'C' damage card, and the Zeppelin take an immediate 25 points of damage to the Zeppellin and have it suffer two fires which will burn for the rest of the game.

I say 25 pts vice immediately destroying the Zeppelin because the internal configuration of the Zeppelins had the gas contained in separate gas bags (The L10 class had 15 gas Bags while the L20 class had 18 gas bags). And... if the explosion card was a catastrophic explosion, the game ends rather suddenly.

Historically, the descriptions I am familiar with concerning the shooting down of Zeppelins usually had the Zeppelin gradually consumed by flames (sometimes rather quickly!). Sometimes the immolation was initiated by an explosion. When in flames the Zeppelins would try to descend for a soft landing rather than perish at altitudes.
    Last edited by usmc1855; 10-02-2010 at 05:46.

Similar Missions

1. Spinning as house rules
    By Druid_ian in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-31-2023, 03:08
  2. WWII House rules
    By Nipotra Paul in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 12:15
  3. Proposed House Rules
    By FreefallGeek in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 7