Ares Games

Thread: Origins 2015 Lend Lease Game - Taranto

Default Origins 2015 Lend Lease Game - Taranto

Battle of Taranto November 11th 1940

23 Fairey Swordfish and 2 Fairey Fulmers took off from HMS Illustrious on the night of 11th November 1940. During the darkness on the morning of the 12th they struck the Italian fleet at anchor in Taranto harbour.

(Phillip "Now just how am I going to get through the searchlights and flak?)

In the outer harbour (Mar Grande) were 6 destroyers and the heavy cruisers, Fiume, Pola and Goriza. Within the breakwater 6 battleships; Littorio, Veneto Vittorio, Caio Dulio, Andrea Doria, Conti di Cavour and Giulio Cesare. Within the Mar Piccolo 3 more heavy cruisers; Trento, Trieste and Bolzano and nearby the light cruisers Albruzi and Garabaldi.

Searchlights alerted to incoming aircraft the waters around Taranto were illuminated by a myriad of bright beams of light. The outdated ‘Stringbags’ and Fulmers came on regardless. Attcking from all directions they soon made short work of 5 destroyers. Successive torpedo hits on Fiume and Pola sent them to the bottom of the harbour.

Torpedo just about to strike Littorio

Bolzano was struck by a 500lb bomb but the Fulmer was too quick to be targeted by the AAA. Over 192 AAA guns and machine guns ringed the harbour and each searched for the illusive attackers.

Fiume about to be sunk!

Damage wasn't all one way!

Littorio reeled under a double torpedo strike. Hits on Caio Dulio and Andrea Doria followed shortly after. The AAA was also striking back as successive Stringbags plunged into the harbour.

In quick succession Littorio, Caio Dulio and Andrea Doria settled into the murky waters of the harbour, succumbing to many torpedo and bomb hits.

The attackers switched to Conti di Cavour, and Gulio Cesare; both taking hits. Only Veneto Vittorio of all the battleships, stood alone undamaged. Goriza was badly damaged by a second hit as the Stringbags and Fulmers, anger sated threaded their way through the searchlight beams and AAA to make their way back to Illustrious.

Summary: 23 Fairey Swordfish (includes 11 re-spawns) and 2 Fairey Fulmers. 11 Fairey Swordfish shot down.

Italian Ships Sunk:
    BB Littorio 5 TORPEDO HITS AND 1 BOMB HIT
    BB Caio Dulio 3 TORPEDO AND 1 BOMB HIT
    BB Andrea Doria 3 TORPEDO AND 1 BOMB HIT
    CA Pola 3 TORPEDO HITS
    CA Fiume 2 TORPEDO HITS AND 1 BOMB HIT
    DD Carducci 1 TORPEDO HIT
    DD Alfieri 1 TORPEDO HIT
    DD Oriani 1 TORPEDO HIT
    DD Lampo 1 TORPEDO HIT
    DD Baleno 1 TORPEDO HIT

Italian Ships Damaged:
    BB Conte di Cavour 1 TORPEDO HIT
    BB Giulio Cesare 1 TORPEDO HIT
    CA Goriza 2 TORPEDO HITS (SEVERE DAMAGE)
    CA Bolzano 1 BOMB HIT

Italian Ships Undamaged:

BB Vittorio Veneto
    CA Trento
    CA Trieste
    CL Albruzzi
    CL Garabaldi
    DD Gioberti

Individual Player Scores:

Ross: 9 hits: Shot down once: Sank DD Baleno (won best pilot)
    Zach: 8 hits: Shot down once: Sank BB Andrea Doria and CA Fiume (won the commando training pamphlet for pilots)
    Patrick: 7 hits: Sank: CA Pola
    Paul: 6 hits
    Josh: 6 hits: Shot down once: Sank DD Oriani and DD Lampo
    Eric: 6 hits: Shot down once
    Phillip: 7 hits: Shot down twice
    Susan: 5 hits: Shot down twice (a close call, by 2 points, but won the honour of most shot down pilot) Mark: 4 hits: Shot down once: Sank DD Alfieri
    Ken: 4 hits
    Michael/James: 4 hits: Shot down once: Sank BB Littorio
    Keith: 2 hits: Sank DD Carducci
    Tom: 2 hits
    Ray: 0 hits: Shot down once

The Gallant FAA Crews (l to r)

Susan, Eric, Keith, Ross, James (took over from Mark)

Ross, James, Ken, Josh, Phillip, Zach

Phillip, Zach, Ray, Tom, Patrick and Paul

How the game ran:
    1. Planes chosen by first come first served.
    2. Searchlight beams large split into A damage and B damage sections. end up on one after playing maneuver card take relevant damage (1 brave pilot flew down the length of one!)
    3. Searchlight small same as above but A damage from cruisers, B damage from battleships and 1 C damage from Goriza (simulate being the only ship to destroy a swordfish and kill the crew!)
    4. Bomb hit = 2 points/1 hit. (low level fly over ship direct hit).
    5. Torpedo hit from 2 to 1 range ruler 1 point/1 hit.
    6. Torpedo hit from under 1 ruler 2 points/1 hit.
    7. Bonus point to last bomb/torpedo to hit a ship and sink it.
    8. Littorio/ Veneto Vittorio taje 6 hits to sink.
    9. All other BB 4 hits to sink.
    10. CA's 3 hits to sink.
    11. CL's 2 hits to sink.
    12. DD's 1 hit to sink.
    13. Odds/Even die roll to decide on aircraft respawn point.
    14. 2 torpedo/bomb respawn points. Fly over and you have a torpedo/bomb to use.
    15. No altitude.

Behind the scenes:
    A big thank you to Clipper1801: David without your Stringbags this could not have happened.
    A big thank you to Flying Officer Kyte: Rob again without your Stringbags and Fulmers this would not have happened and for sowing the original seeds of the game into my warped mind.
    All the lads at War & Pieces for trial running the game and coming up with many suggestions to make the game run smoother: Michael (Grumpy1), George, Jake, et al.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Was a blast... never played in a game where my only chance to respawn armed with another bomb was to fly headfirst into and then repeatedly Immelman in the middle of a searchlight. ...And of course I drew a ton of zeroes and only managed to respawn when time was up. But I had lots of fun, the banter was great, and I never caught fire! Oh wait... I did catch fire... <shrug> LOL
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thank you for the great AAR, Neil!

Top marks Neil - a terrific result of combined effort !

As I mentioned in the other post Neil, a great job well done.
    glad to be of help.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great stuff, Neil! Thanks for the AAR!

Received this from amazon, recently, Neil:

Name:  Taranto.png
Views: 170
Size:  173.7 KB

I am looking forward to running this during the fall. I will let you know how it goes.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Very nice.

Eric if you want a copy of the pilot/plane cards and XS decks let me know and I'll email if I haven't already done so.

Neil

Many compliments for the scenario!!
    What miniatures have you used? Shapeway's?
    Do you have special rules for night attack?
    Do you have consider the possibilty on a light aereal italian defence (Cr42)?

Many compliments again!
    In response of your Taranto's scenario we have start to study a Mistel attack to the harbour of Scapa Flow!

Thanks a Lot
    Stay Tuned
    Carlo

All of the special rules were included in the AAR on Taranto Carlo.

1. Searchlight beams were static (saved time). 60cm long and 75-100mm wide triangle shaped. Marked into 2 equal sections marked A nd B damage respectively.
    2. Land on searchlight take relevant damage.
    3. Torpedoes max range 2 rulers. 2-1 ruler 1 point/1 hit. 1 and under 2 points/1 hit.
    4. Bombs. pass over ship bomb hits 2 points/1 hit.
    5. Respawn points for aircraft shot down and for bombs/torpedo re-arming.
    6. 10 points to kill an AAA gun.
    7.Did take CR42's and a CantZ but didn't use them. More fun playing against the AAA and searchlights.

Neil

OK,
    This is way late, but someone asked me for some Swordfish cards, and I finally did some up. There are now 9 specific Taranto cards for use with this scenario, if someone wanted them.

WWII Seaplanes Album
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Mike was the additional fuel tank not between pilot and rear gunner?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Mike was the additional fuel tank not between pilot and rear gunner?
    Neil,
    I looked at lots of info, regrettably online. The closest I came to good info was a plastic model thread showing a Taranto Swordfish, with the extra fuel in the rear seat, and a book excerpt describing interviews with participants of the attack, stating that the loss of the rear Lewis gun was not considered a bad thing.

Also, the bomb/torpedo aim sight was in the center seat, so not an option for replacement for the Taranto mission.

My research is not empirical, but it makes the most sense to me. If you have better info, I'm willing to change the cards.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Awsome Neil - would love to have been there myself. Looks like you had one heck of a challenging day there. thanks for the AAR - excellent read.

Not at all MIke. Makes sense to me. Dont know where I picked that nugget up from though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Neil,
    I looked at lots of info, regrettably online. The closest I came to good info was a plastic model thread showing a Taranto Swordfish, with the extra fuel in the rear seat, and a book excerpt describing interviews with participants of the attack, stating that the loss of the rear Lewis gun was not considered a bad thing.

Also, the bomb/torpedo aim sight was in the center seat, so not an option for replacement for the Taranto mission.

My research is not empirical, but it makes the most sense to me. If you have better info, I'm willing to change the cards.

Similar Missions

1. Site: The 2015 Lend-Lease participant is...
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 01:01
  2. 1st Lend Lease Raffle 2015
    By Marechallannes in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 12:16
  3. Lend lease 2015 link not working.
    By Twisted_terrain in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 03:32
  4. Origins Lend-Lease 2013