Ares Games

Thread: Scouts with bombs

LOOP

Default Scouts with bombs

I have read that some scouts carried small bombloads and I have been thinking of using this in a senario I've been working with.
    I plan to use Camels and Se5as but was wondering on how to simulate the extra weight.
    Have any of you done something like this?
    I was thinking letting the scout play a stall per turn (as they had an enginedamage) as long as it have the bombs hanging under the wings. Or should I? How did the extra weight effect speed and mobility?

The senario I am building is a sort of town-senario where the ACs will attack infantry and amunitiondepos.
    I will use a combo of scouts and 2-seaters.

Some advise please

P-G

I played a similar scenario at ORIGINS last week. The Game Master's House Rule was simple ... the fighters (SW Camels and SE5as) could NOT fly an Immelman until after they had dropped all of their bombs.
    I suspect that this House Rule is used by all of the "Buckeye Gamers in Flight" gaming group.
    It seemed appropriate to me, but no doubt there are other House Rules.

LOOP

I was thinking about skipping the Immelmann turn as well. Just forgot to write it down
    But no other speedpenalties?
    Last edited by LOOP; 06-12-2015 at 05:26.

No speed penalties, just the Immelman. Simple to remember and to use in table top play.

Hello!
    Historically accurate. Flight of the Giants at page 14

http://issuu.com/nginternational/doc...ulebook_en_web

gives bomb load for all planes that were included at that time in Wings of War including Camel, Se5a, Snipe, Bristol Fighter.

Excellent; thanks Andrea.

I'd disallow the Immel and any sharp turns for those particular scouts until they've dropped their eggs - I'm not keen on subbing the stall in to slow them down I think it makes them too slow and you lose the smoothness of flight - one way around this is to use the cards of an aircraft the next speed band down another is to make them sluggish - To do this they need more climb tokens to gain an altitude and slow the roll rate so they cannot make immediate change of direction eg if turning left they have to play a straight before they can turn right, that sort of thing.
    Thread here has loads of bomb info
    Last edited by flash; 06-12-2015 at 09:29.

LOOP

Not allowing sharp turn and immelmanns sounds like a appropriate penalty. I go with that.

Thanks everyone

I agree. No Immelman and no 90 degree Turns for fighters that carry bombs until they drop all of their bombs.
    Good discussion.

Restrictions are included as an optional rule on page 19 in the 'Flight of the Giants' rulebook, which you may look at if you follow Andrea's link above.

Similar Missions

1. Scouts and Two-Seaters vs. Scouts and Two-Seaters
    By von Fustercluck in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 05:04
  2. WWI WOG new series scouts available
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 12:46
  3. WSF Bristol Scouts!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 5