Ares Games

Thread: Nieuport 28 color match

Default Nieuport 28 color match

So, it looks like all three versions of the Nieuport 28 share the same color palette, and any serious attempt to repaint one of them will either have to completely reproduce the camouflage pattern already on the plane, or find a color match for the colors in use. Seems like more a more useful than average match to figure out. Has anyone gotten any good ones on this yet

Looks like we need matches for dark green, light green, tan, and mybe buff for theunderside. I suspect the number decals will clean off under the wing, but the fuselage and top wing decals are full surface, so they will have to be painted over. A near match might work for the tan, and you can just repaint the entire affected section, but the green sections have the roundels in them, so they'll need a really close match to look right (unless you want to put new roundels on as well).

I plan to try to find some matches this weekend, but it would be great to hear if anyone eles has had any luck here yet.

Try Mister kit WW1 French series . They are an excellent match .

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Mr Kit colours are an excellent match for the real thing, but probably not for the Wings Of Glory models, unfortunately - a first rate choice if painting from scratch, but not necessarily useful for touch-up jobs. I started playing around trying to get a good Vallejo match for the WGF model, but still need to work on it, sorry - haven't got something I'm really happy with yet.

Andre'

I don't own the Nieuport, so I can't help with the top colours, but the underside looks very similar to the buff/yellow on my Camel (Brown from the Duel pack). If so then Vallejo Model Colour 'Ice Yellow' 858 is an exact match (to my eyes!).

I've found that painting around roundels isn't too bad if the paint is thinned and you have a clean (damp) brush on hand to wipe off excess that gets into the decal.
    What repaints are you planning to do?

I'm with Darell on this one. Not sure why you think they can't be used for touch ups Dom?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

O.k. Here's my first pass at color match:

I have not done a finish coat over these yet, so I don't know if that will make the match better or worse. I alos forgot to take a picture of the underside, which cleanly scrubbed off the "12" underwing decal with some denatrued alcohol. The treated spot is ever-so-slightly off, but again I expect that's the "finish".

I am very happy with the dark green, which is Vallejo Game Color - Cayman Green (72067), straight out of the bottle. I'm not sure if it needs a little more green, a little more black, or just a gloss coat, but I can't ask for a beter match from unmixed paint. That paint is allegedly equivalent to Model Color - Bronce Green (70.897) according to Vallejo's own documentation, if anyone thinks it's close enough to want to try it.

The light green is a mix of Vallejo Model Color - Middlestone (70882) and Model Master Acryl - Deck Green (4229). In the pic it looks a litle green; I may be able to fix that with a little more middlestone in the mix. Right now I'm guessing it's at leat 2-1 green-middlestone. Not that anyone else is even going to have both of thes paints sitting on their table at home.

And the tan is obviously still way off; I think I'm going to need to pickup a base color that's a little "oranger" to make any headway on that...
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 06-14-2015 at 13:47.

I wouldn't worry about a perfect match. After a week or two on the front (if it survived that long) sun and weather would change those colors a bit.

It does look purdy! Good work.

Picked up a new paint for the light brown:

That's Vallejo Game Color - Filthy Brown (72.037), which apparently does not have a Model Color equivalent (sorry Dom). I'm going to give the whole wing a gloss coat now, to see how the colors look with the same finish. Then I'll probably paint the whole tan section on the top ing with this color and just a touch of buff or something similar.

I agree Peter.
    We spend far too much time trying to achieve what just would not be the case in real live action at the front.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

And here's my final "factory finish", after protective coat (it'll still get a matte seal, but not till after decals are on):

Unfortunately, none of the final colors are straight from the can, but they're a pretty good starting point, and may be "good enough" as is for those that don't fret over every little detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a perfect match. After a week or two on the front (if it survived that long) sun and weather would change those colors a bit.
    Sure, but there's a difference between the weathering that would impact the look of the whole aircraft with subtle variances here and there, or the systematic patchiness of repair work, and the blotchy color discrepancies of bad repaint work, which bear no resemblance to anything time in service would likely do to an aircraft. Everyone is entitled to their own view, but for my time and money, it's not worth putting paint to plastic unless I'm going to end up with something of at least comparable quality to what I started with. Ideally, I should be able to put my finished plane on the table next to anyone else's Ares original, and that person would not be disappointed to walk away with my plane instead of the plane they put down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I'm with Darell on this one. Not sure why you think they can't be used for touch ups Dom?
    I don't think he's saying that the paints are not of a sufficient quality to be used, he's just saying that there's no evidence that any particular paints in the line match any of the colors used on the Ares models. And I for one agree that it's not worth hunting down a new line of paint without a stronger indicator that they'll be a closer match than the paints I already have. Of course if anyone has this paint line available, I'm sure we'd love to see some color match examples like the ones I've posted here.

And that also goes for anyone else. I think I've done all the matching I'm gonna do for these guys, but if someone else has a good paint match to report, go ahead and add it here. It may save someone else a little effort down the line.

Similar Missions

1. mix and match
    By Baxter in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 19:57
  2. Match Stick Fleet
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 14:22
  3. Color match for Atkey's D.H.4?
    By somaliavet in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5