Ares Games

Thread: Working on a possible UK trip in October.

Default Working on a possible UK trip in October.

Hey mates, it looks like I might be able to swing 3 or 4 days in the UK. Work is sending me on another trip and we have a stretch with nothing on the schedule from 8-12 October. I'm thinking about flying back to London for those days.

Any suggestions of where to go, what to do and where to stay?

Visit The Aviation Bookshop. You will not leave empty handed.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Without car hire:

The Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon is easily reachable from anywhere on the Tube Network - Nearest Tube Station is Colindale: Distance - Easily walkable. Recommended visiting time without a guide - Allow 4 hours. Shop / Restaurant / Café Facilities. Will be on Winter Opening Hours schedule by October 2014.

There is also the Imperial War Museum in Central London itself. Nearest Tube Station is Lambeth North: Distance - Walkable. Recommended visiting time without a guide - Allow 5 hours. Shop / Restaurant / Café Facilities. Will be on Winter Opening Hours schedule by October 2014.

I'll be back to you with more - just got to check on some mileage / driving times to various locations outside of London (such as Duxford etc)

NEAREST BOARDABLE CONCORDE ATTRACTION TO CENTRAL LONDON: Brooklands Museum in Surrey. Ideally requires car to get to. Note: G-BOAB which is parked at London Heathrow Airport is not open to the public.

You could always spot yourself an Airbus A380 or several at the London Heathrow Airport Visitor Centre if this sort of aviation interests you as well. The Spotting Facility was recently improved and would easily with a trip to the Visitor Centre itself fill up a day's activities and the view on offer of these jaw-droppers upon arrival and departure is great ...
    Last edited by Tonx; 06-08-2015 at 12:33.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Looking at the weather there in Oct, packing might be an issue I have to address. I'll be packing for and coming from the high 90s and London looks to be in the mid 50s that time of year

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Very sorry that I am not all that familiar with where to stay as I am with 'what to see' ... But the following take a maximum of 2.5 hours driving time and no more than four motorways / major roads starting off from London Heathrow Airport. All attractions are of a historical aviation or aeronautical nature.

Imperial War Museum, Duxford: M4 -> M25 -> M11 nearest big city Cambridge. NOTE: ALLOW ONE FULL DAY FOR VISITING THE ENTIRE SITE. Driving time approximately one hour. A complete collection of military and civil static display aircraft including Concorde (non-boardable) and the Boeing B-52D Stratofortress. All housed at Duxford which itself is still an active airfield. Award-winning shop / Restaurant / Café Facilities on site. Generally available 09:30 to 17:00 throughout the year.

Brooklands Aviation Museum near Weybridge, Surrey: M4 -> M25 to fast A-Road direct to site. Allow 4 hours to visit entire site. Driving time approximately 1.5 hours. Nearest boardable Concorde attraction to Central London (G-BBDG) with a chance to fly in a Concorde Simulator if booked in advance (see museum website.) Other attractions include a collection of de Havilland aircraft types and sections of the world famous Brooklands race track which are open to the public. Shop / Restaurant / Café Facilities on site. Opens on a summer hours / winter hours basis.

Concorde: Brooklands Aviation Museum is your nearest with G-BOAB (LHR) and G-BOAF (Bristol / Filton) not being open to the public. Further to that it will be G-BOAC which is fully boardable and open to the public but located at Manchester Airport 4.5 hours drive time away (M4 -> M25 -> M1 -> M6 -> A556 -> M56 Take Wilmslow turning just before airport and follow signs to Aviation Viewing Park.

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton: About one hour's drive south of Bristol (M4 -> Fast A-Road direct to site.) Allow 5 hours to visit entire site without guide. Mostly military and Royal Navy types with static prototype Concorde (non-boardable) also on display. Shop / Restaurant / Café Facilities on site. Generally available 09:30 to 17:00 throughout the year.

Royal Air Force Museum, Cosford: M4 -> M1 -> M6 to Walsall -> M54 nearest big town Telford, Shropshire. The North's counterpart to the RAF Museum at Hendon is located at RAF Cosford - an active military air base located a short way from the M54 motorway. Prepare for the jaw-dropping sight of all three V-Bombers including the world's sole example of an intact Vickers Valiant on display under the same roof c/o the Cold War Exhibition Hangar ... Shop / Restaurant / Café Facilities on site. Generally available 09:30 to 17:00 throughout the year. Parking costs Ł3.50 all day per car and includes museum admission. WELL worth seeing: Allow four hours to visit site fully without a guide.

Nearest Game of WGS located in Derby: Where it would be an honour to play you! Refreshments available. M4 -> M1 -> A50(M) -> Fast A-Road direct to site. Particularly if you visit RAF Cosford this location is within an hour's drive time of Walsall, West Midlands. Opening times = n/a just call in!
    Last edited by Tonx; 06-08-2015 at 14:19. Reason: Correction - G-BOAF at Filton not G-BOAE

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Clothing: Shorts are wearable / bearable in October if you are me. Hopefully the weather will be suitable for visiting outdoor attractions though you now know where to find nearest WGS game on offer if the weather caves in!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

RAF Hendon is definitely worth a trip, as is the National Army Museum. There are so many great things in and around London for a longish weekend type of time that you will be spoiled for choice on what to see.

I envy your 'side trip' possibilities, Herr Oberst!

All the best,
    Matt

Barnaby has listed the must-see attractions, but the National Army Museum is closed for renovation until 2016.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    RAF Hendon is definitely worth a trip, as is the National Army Museum.
    http://www.nam.ac.uk/

Currently closed to the public due to extensive renovation work. Due to reopen in 2016. Source: Website.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

That's a shame - but the Imperial War Museum is not a bad fall-back, particularly from a 'modern' perspective...

All the best,
    Matt

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    That's a shame - but the Imperial War Museum is not a bad fall-back, particularly from a 'modern' perspective...
    I agree - there were closures there until just recently for renovation work but I gather these have now been given the all clear. Best part of the IWM are the words 'nearest tube' for somebody staying in the Central London area meaning that they can still visit with the choice not the restriction of having to hire a car in order to get there.

Nearest Tube to IWM is Lambeth North. Missed out from earlier on ... Nearest Tube to Heathrow Airport Visitor Centre is Heathrow Central (Terminals 1 2 and 3) from which there is a shuttle bus link available. AVOID: The Heathrow Express direct from London Paddington Station - it is officially the world's most expensive train journey per kilometre travelled. The tube via Hammersmith does take a little while longer but at least you do not get royally ripped-off and also if the approach to 27L / R is in use over Central London the aircraft are visible landing there until Hounslow West.

If you like W.W.2 warships, H.M.S. Belfast is permanently anchored in the River Thames in London.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If you like W.W.2 warships, H.M.S. Belfast is permanently anchored in the River Thames in London.
    Oh yes - with the Tower of London situated opposite. Forgot that was there ... Nearest Tube for HMS Belfast is Tower Hill and walk across Tower Bridge to where the ship is moored.

As we come away from attractions with an aviation theme attached to them we may as well mention the War Rooms which are now open to the public and located almost directly under the Houses of Parliament. Nearest Tube - Westminster. Be prepared for this attraction to be available via guided tour only however and bear in mind the possibility of having to use lots of stairs at this attraction. Comfortable footwear is advised.

There is one more attraction which is worth a visit although this is not in Central London ... It's in Leicester approximately 127 miles and just within 2 hours driving time from LHR (M4 -> M25 -> M1 to Leicester -> A46 to site.) This is the National Space Centre. Bear in mind that cup of coffee and game of WGS if you do visit this location with Derby only being a further 25 minutes north of here on the M1 to Kegworth -> A50(M) -> Fast A-Road to site

Thanks again guys! I'm also open to the typical sight seeing and I'd love to take in some Medieval castles.

I notice the lack of dining destinations.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

I notice the lack of dining destinations.
    Don't go to to the original Hard Rock Cafe. Overpriced, in my opinion.

If you like art, you could probably spend the entire weekend at The Tate. Madame Tussauds wax museum is very nice. I stayed at a hotel about 3-4 blocks south of the museum, but the name escapes me.

Don't go to any chain restaurants. Find small local places that are off the map, if you will.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Thanks again guys! I'm also open to the typical sight seeing and I'd love to take in some Medieval castles.
    You'll definitely be looking at car hire if you are wanting to see something Medieval - but the neighbouring counties of Kent and West Sussex have quite a number to their credit. In London itself you have the London Dungeon which is a Medieval attraction - Nearest Station: London Bridge. For more information on the Home Counties as these neighbouring areas are known may I suggest the National Trust website. Either that or English Heritage but like I said be prepared to hire a car in order to reach many of these attractions.

Best place to catch a pan-London sight-seeing tour (open top buses etc) is Hyde Park Corner. Nearest Station: Marble Arch. The choice of these is plentiful and take around 90 minutes to two hours to complete a round-trip which will take in all of the traditional sights of London.

Just in case the following suggestions help: Nearest Station for the London Eye is Westminster. Also should you wish to visit Windsor as in Windsor Castle you can do so by catching a train from London Paddington Station to Slough where Windsor and Eton is located at the bottom of a local branch line service which runs hourly. Changes of Train: One with a travel time of approximately 20 minutes London -> Slough on fast services with longer travel times of up to 35 minutes on more local 'stopping' services. By car Windsor is approximately 25 minutes drive time away from London Heathrow Airport down the M4.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Don't go to to the original Hard Rock Cafe. Overpriced, in my opinion.
    Agree that this one is a definite avoid on the grounds of overcrowding too: You are literally just paying for the name of the place so to speak ...

And there's always the gathering. You cannot miss that. That said is it the same dates? I'm still on USA time.
    See you on the Dark Side......

You'll find the Sussex ones here: http://www.sussexcastles.com/
    Arundel is very popular and still occupied, many others are ruins you can just walk to and around quite quickly.

Corfe Castle in Dorset as also popular: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/corfe-castle/

The Tower of London is a big attraction of course

If you're into ships and history there is the historic dockyard at Portsmouth: http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/
    Home of HMS Victory & HMS Warrior - HMS M.33 will be open then too, the last Gallipoli ship

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the ideas so far. Looking at the weather there in Oct, packing might be an issue I have to address. I'll be packing for and coming from the high 90s and London looks to be in the mid 50s that time of year
    Are we talking °F or the real measurement of temperature °C

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Mrs K. and I are working on the prospect of getting down to London to see you if we can make it. If you would like to stay up here for a day or so you know you would be most welcome.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just wondering how many people we can get in the same place at the same time. Perhaps we can organise a UK Wing nosh-up.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Good idea Rob. Be nice to meet Keith, then he can explain to Karen about Origins. Must tie down dates soon so hotel can be booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Mrs K. and I are working on the prospect of getting down to London to see you if we can make it. If you would like to stay up here for a day or so you know you would be most welcome.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Are we talking °F or the real measurement of temperature °C
    God I hope it’s not 50 °C in London in October… or ever! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I might take you up on that. There’s nothing saying I have to stay in London and I might actually prefer to get out into England proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Just wondering how many people we can get in the same place at the same time. Perhaps we can organise a UK Wing nosh-up.
    Now that could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Good idea Rob. Be nice to meet Keith, then he can explain to Karen about Origins. Must tie down dates soon so hotel can be booked.
    I don’t know Neil, I was not planning on packing my flak vest… so meeting and explaining Origins to Karen might be best avoided!!

You have to get to Warwick Castle then Herr Oberst - not too far out of London and you will get the whole medieval experience, inc. Knights, Archers, dungeons everything

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  13.1 KB

Name:  images (1).jpg
Views: 150
Size:  14.2 KB

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Karen and myself would look forward to meeting Keith anywhere possible but preferably over a weekend. Would be nice to tie down a date and see how many members we could get together for a meal with Keith.

That sounds like a proper plan Neil.
    I hope Keith will be able to stay with us and then we can sort out a venue somewhere central for everyone to get to.
    I have left those dates open in my diary and will not take on any other commitments until I hear what Keith wants to do. Just a pity it is the week after the Worlds, but that's Murphy's for you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What a brilliant idea - meeting up for a meal would be brilliant

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Yep, sounds great - hope I'll be able to attend!

That sounds like a good plan, I would certainly like that.
    Pity its not a week or so earlier we could possibly have met up for the Derby show

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    You have to get to Warwick Castle then Herr Oberst - not too far out of London and you will get the whole medieval experience, inc. Knights, Archers, dungeons everything
    Car hire required again as Warwick Castle is M4 -> M25 -> M40 -> Fast Road to site from London Heathrow: About 110 miles driving distance. I know it's definitely 127 miles from Central London but well worth the drive - I agree.

The idea of meeting up for a meal is an excellent one - like one or two of us have already said it's a pity that the visit doesn't coincide with any of the UK Events. I'll be watching this thread with interest as if something does get arranged I'd like to come along if the opportunity arises

Similar Missions

1. Email notification - not working?
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 13:20
  2. stuff I have been working on..
    By rote Flügel in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 06:16
  3. Airplane cards I am working on.
    By aper373 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9