Ares Games

Thread: Claymore 2015

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Default Claymore 2015

Could I have a quick show of hands as to how many are available to help out at this show so as I can get a table confirmed and we can get the planning started.
    http://seswc.co.uk/2014/10/claymore-2015/

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Very interested in coming along as may be in Edinburgh anyway on this weekend with the Wife. She plays too so hopefully that's two 'count me ins' all being well.

Does Claymore run just on the one day - Saturday 1st August please?

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Yes, it`s a pretty typical British style-one day wargames show event running from about 9.00 AM to about 4.00 to 5.00 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Yes, it`s a pretty typical British style-one day wargames show event running from about 9.00 AM to about 4.00 to 5.00 PM.
    Even better for fitting in with our plans if up in Edinburgh that weekend - I seriously hope we will be.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yes, it's just the Saturday, 10-4. Very light and airy venue, but the atrium can be sweltering if it's a hot day, so bring plenty of drinks if you're in there rather than the sports hall.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

We`ve got a 6x6 foot table on offer so I`m thinking about just concentating on WWI and running a couple of rolling demo games over the day.
    The more of you who turn up however and can provide some additional models though the more ambitious a game we can play!

Count me in Rob. Always happy to oblige.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I play WGS and am currently working on building up a sub-fleet of aside of my main collection which will be for public use in participation games. I should be able to bring something up of a WGS nature with me that would probably accommodate five players judging by my intended size of sub-fleet. This avoids anything in my main collection from being at risk of losing bits bobs and propeller blades when in use by the general public ... Experience of whom I have gained from appearances made at model railway exhibitions x 5 even though these were made some time ago now.

Rob I'll ring you this weekend to talk over what you want to put on. Game slots etc. What would be best time?

Rob I'll ring you this weekend to talk over what you want to put on. Game slots etc. What would be best time?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

If things happen to sway in favour of concentrating on WGF then this too is fine: the Wife and I will still come along and visit in order to support whatever activity is going on at Claymore 2015. We have only ever played WGF twice but found it to be a really enjoyable change of scenery and a good laugh in places too.

Very much looking forward to hearing more about this event whatever direction things take as like I say with any luck we will be around anyway ...

Problem with one table is the change over between egg and has games too much to pack away. However that said its Roberts call. I'll support a thing

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Well the table is confirmed now so we`re ok and its now just a question of what we`re going to do with it!
    I was watching this recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R62ZB1L5Bjg
    and got to thinking.
    I`ve got quite a few French Nieuport 17`s, Neil has one of clippers Zeppelins and between the two of us I think that we could field quite a few tripe`s as well.
    Perhaps `The Storks` can do a better job than `The Lafyette` did in the movie?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Liking the film clip but I reckon The Storks will make a much better job of this at Claymore 2015.

So there is a zeppelin bust on the cards? That's definitely something you cannot do in WGS so the Wife and I are still very interested in coming along for the change of scenery. OK no WGS but the reasons are all understandable - only one table allocated / take-down time followed by set-up time between outfits could waste valuable gaming time etc.

But to stage something that is not possible in WGS makes this focus on WGF all the more fantastic. Looking forward to hearing more ...
    Last edited by Tonx; 06-23-2015 at 11:25. Reason: Typo!

I hope to be able to come. Happy to help any way I can. Sorry for not replying earlier. A rather busy finish to the academic year has left me little time to be on the forum.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Well we`re on the list now so its all set.
    The plan is to start of with an "Anything goes, bring your own plane" game at opening time mainly for you guys to warm up and once the show gets going and the punters start showing up to run a more serious defend/shoot down the observation plane scenario.
    After lunch we do the big "Shoot down the Zeppelin" game!
    If you need a plane for the opening game just let myself or Neil (Scafloc) know what you`d like to fly and chances are we can probably provide the model!

Looking forward to it. It will be at least me and my son and maybe others of the family as well. We will bring several planes for the opening clash and go from there.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Still going ahead with Edinburgh plans that weekend so the Wife and I will be coming along ... Both of us in need of an aircraft. Not too sure what her preferences are but on both occasions I have played WGF I have flown a SPAD ... All I do know is that neither of us have flown anything from the Central Powers.

This is shaping up to be an interesting event - looking forward to it too

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Well, since the rule for the first game is going to be "anything goes" the nationality of the plane you decide to fly isn`t an issue.
    Players can decide to team up if they want but the winner`s will be decided by who`s still flying at the end.
    If you want to fly a SPAD then I`ve plenty, any particular pilot?
    For central powers, we`ll have plenty of Dr1 triplanes anyway since we`ll need them for later, I`ve some DVII`s available as well and., if two seaters are prefered I have a Halberstadt available and know Neil is going to be bringing some of the new Hannovers.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Well that all seemed to go well.
    A bit frantic with more or less continuous gaming over the whole period of the show.
    Some impromptu games going on during gaps between the `official` scenarios, seems like if you provide the kit the players just turn up anyway!

A special mention for Nathan (Ned2) and the boys for all the help they gave, I`ll remember for a good while the sight of a young player who knows the game keeping an experienced wargamer who dosn`t know the rules straight on what he was doing!
    Also thanks to Roland (sebigboss79) for the help he was able to give despite having a lot of other things going on during the show!
    And also anybody else who stopped by at the table to say hello.

Some photo`s will follow once I get them uploaded.

Thanks Robert. It was great to be involved. Far from being exhausted the boys have just made me play again! A British bomber being pursued by German planes (no model bombers unfortunately- just the card one). Needless to say they beat me again!
    I too have pics I will pop up once I get a moment.

I did not do anything, sadly. Maybe you can argue I was showing my presence for a while.

Running errants and a bit of coordinating in the morning kept me busy until 1ish. By then I was so worn out I was asleep soon after.
    For the next show I will also come with my shirt and actually put some work in.

I found it a bit sad only the TT side of our store(s) came and not the Mini Gamers/TCG side.

Apologies again for not making two shows in a row Rob. Glad it went off ok and you got the support I couldn't give you.

We'll get the Zepp up next year. As long as real life keeps out of the way!

Neil

Thanks for running that Rob.
    Please let me know if there was any participant who has not got their Minor con medal yet,and what level to pitch it at.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done Robert & the chaps for flying the Aerodrome flag at Claymore - looking forward to the pics !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well done Robert & the chaps for flying the Aerodrome flag at Claymore - looking forward to the pics !
    +1!

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Please let me know if there was any participant who has not got their Minor con medal yet,and what level to pitch it at.
    Rob.
    Well Nathan (Ned 2) certainly deserves one for all the help he gave (If possible each of the boys probably deserves one as well).
    I note that Roland (sebigboss79) still dosn`t have one though he really stepped up to the plate at Carronade and was a great help in covering for Neil at the last minute!
    He was a bit busy with other show commitments this time round and wasn`t able to do more than drop in at the table for a while but still!

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Well Nathan (Ned 2) certainly deserves one for all the help he gave (If possible each of the boys probably deserves one as well).
    A quick link to some pics he`s just posted to his album http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...hmentid=172296

I note that Roland (sebigboss79) still dosn`t have one though he really stepped up to the plate at Carronade and was a great help in covering for Neil at the last minute!
    He was a bit busy with other show commitments this time round and wasn`t able to do more than drop in at the table for a while but still!

I have forwarded the requests for Ned and Sebigboss Robert.
    Who are each of the boys?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The boys are my 2 boys. They can share in my reflected glory!

Similar Missions

1. National: Empoli Games 2015 - 3/4 ottobre 2015
    By Warlock in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 22:38
  2. British Columbia: GottaCon 2015 - 27 Feb - 2 Mar 2015
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 13:03
  3. Cannon 2015
    By Spring-Chicken in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5