Ares Games

Thread: They thought it was Hannover ... It is now !

Default They thought it was Hannover ... It is now !

As it was chucking it down with rain for part of yesterday I dragged out my aircraft & decided to give one of the Hannovers a blooding to see how it would perform under AI control against a couple of predators flown by me.
    Shooting is peg to peg and I used my own altitude rules.
    I put the Hannover piloted by Fwbl Alois Engler & crewed by Ltn Willy Rabe in the middle of the table and using a D12 diced for the approach of the Camels, placing both within two rulers range.
    2Lt Clark Ellis came in high at one o'clock
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6091.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	165892

& 2Lt Eddy Blake high at six

Name:	SAM_6092.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	165893

'Hannover in a Camel sandwich' I thought....

I knew there was going to be trouble by the end of the first turn ...
    "Hey he was here a second ago "

Name:	SAM_6094.JPG 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	165894

Ow ! Ellis gets battered by Rabe as he passes

Name:	SAM_6095.JPG 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	165895

Both the Camels haul themselves round in tight right turns and it looks as though they will drop on the Hannover's tail but Engler had other plans hauling his aircraft into a tight left turn - Blake catches him but alas no damage and a gun jam to boot

Name:	SAM_6097.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	165897

As they circle out of harms way Rabe gives Blake a parting gift !

Name:	SAM_6098.JPG 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	165898

The Camels haul themselves to the right in order to cut off the Hannovers turn ...
    yeah that didn't work out too well either as Engler gets in on the action and peppers Ellis' kite !

Name:	SAM_6101.JPG 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	165900

The Hannover passes between the two Camels without any further shooting and reefs into a tight left turn, as Engler opens the turn out he is caught by Ellis who has pulled a one eighty turn and extracts a small measure of revenge

Name:	SAM_6103.JPG 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	165902

Both of the Camels mis-read Englers intentions and the aircraft part company - a couple of turns follow as the Camels try again to circle back onto their target, however the Hannover snakes between then again and Rabe gets to work over Ellis' Camel again - he's lucky this time !

Name:	SAM_6106.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	165905

Ellis now gets onto the Hannovers tail but his luck is mixed !

Name:	SAM_6108.JPG 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	165906

In the opening of the next turn Ellis overshoots the Hannover as they turn and his luck turns to all bad; Rabe fires a long range burst that wounds him badly enough to make him head for home (house rule)

Name:	SAM_6109.JPG 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	165907

As Blake curves in looking for an advantage Rabe sends Ellis packing with a final burst

Name:	SAM_6110.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	165908

Turning left is not advantageous for the Camel and Blake takes a burst as he struggles to get on the Hannover's tail

Name:	SAM_6111.JPG 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	165909

Englers sharp turn catches him out and Rabe finds his target again - his rounds crashing through the rotary engine and causing some major damage

Name:	SAM_6112.JPG 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	165910

That engine damage will see him home but before Blake can dive away to safety Engler stalls his aircraft and Rabes' opens fire for the final time ..

Name:	SAM_6114.JPG 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	165911

Butchers Tally

Hannover piloted by Fwbl Alois Engler & crewed by Ltn Willy Rabe RTB 1 Kill

Name:	SAM_6117.JPG 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	165914

Camel 2Lt Clark Ellis RTB/WIA/ 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_6115.JPG 
Size:	285.1 KB 
ID:	165912

Camel 2Lt Eddy Blake SD-EXP- ET/0 Kills

Name:	SAM_6116.JPG 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	165913

So there you have it - further evidence, if you need it, that the Hannover should not be taken lightly !
    Last edited by flash; 05-30-2015 at 04:08.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Wow! That's one for the books. Talk about unlucky, or lucky, depending on what side you were cheering for.
    Thanks for sharing the Intel, I'll be sure to tread carefully next time I meet one of these in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Shooting is peg to peg and I used my own altitude rules.
    !
    I would be interested in how you use altitude in solo games. Your scenario looked really interesting - and the photos really brought it to life. Well done.

A salutary lesson indeed Dave, and what a neat and tidy game.
    I would have put my money on two to one but some very neat turning by the Hanover soon disabused me of that mistaken opinion.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Had to be done Rob - I find that tag teaming on the two-seaters is usually the best option but appears not for this little wiggly bugger - found it near impossible to get and stay on him long enough to do anything meaningful !

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I would be interested in how you use altitude in solo games....
    Thanks Pete - have a look in the files section here, third and fourth documents down should give you some ideas
    Last edited by flash; 12-15-2022 at 03:46.

[QUOTE=flash;351979]Thanks Pete - have a look in the files section here, third and fourth documents down should give you some ideas [/QUOTE

Thanks for the quick reply. Downloaded and printed.
    Question - how do you determine when the AI aircraft will change altitude ? (or is it all reactive to the human player's move ?)

Smile

Very interesting Dave!
    Were you using your new D8 charts?

Nice one Dave. Those 2 seaters that can Immelmann are tough customers!

I had one that monstered my two heroes in a similar scenario a few weeks back. They are fast, turn sharply and do a very short immelman!

I am thinking discretion would have been the norm in R/L or a very careful stalk.

Baxter

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ...Question - how do you determine when the AI aircraft will change altitude ? (or is it all reactive to the human player's move ?)
    You do have to play the I in AI to make this work Pete - this means you have to do what is best for the aircraft at that moment - usually this occurs when in range to shoot. If the target is above or below then the AI gain or lose a peg if the manoeuvre allows that; if there's a lot of altitude between them they may need to climb or dive to make this happen. The same can be applied tactically as you see fit - most will climb to gain advantage.
    If you want to incorporate the manoeuvres into the AI then what I tend to do is play them when a reversal comes up - I number the moves and randomly select what is being executed by dice roll - it can make for some rather exciting and unexpected moves on the AI's part !
    You will find that the 'bubble of combat' usually compresses and they end up more or less on the same level as the action gets close to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I had one that monstered my two heroes in a similar scenario a few weeks back...
    It was your mission that prompted this Baxter

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...Were you using your new D8 charts?
    Certainly was Baz, thought you'd ask so I'll send one for you to test for me I had a load of low throws so he kept turning left when I had planned to go right !
    Last edited by flash; 05-31-2015 at 01:25.

You do have to play the I in AI to make this work Pete.
    You will find that the 'bubble of combat' usually compresses and they end up more or less on the same level as the action gets close to the end.
    This is exactly what I have found when playing AI with altitude Dave.
    Rob.

Hannover one bites the dust....

The Camel's at twelve thousand feet
    The Hun is way down low
    Diving now really tout-suite
    Machine guns ready to go.

Are you ready, hey, are you ready for this?
    Tackling a new 2-seat?
    From the Observer the bullets rip
    To the sound of the beat

Hannover one bites the dust
    And another scout gone, and another scout gone
    Hey, It's gonna get you, too
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 05-31-2015 at 04:14.

Bravo! Encore Zoe.
    Rob.

You do have to play the I in AI to make this work Pete - this means you have to do what is best for the aircraft at that moment - usually this occurs when in range to shoot. If the target is above or below then the AI gain or lose a peg if the manoeuvre allows that; if there's a lot of altitude between them they may need to climb or dive to make this happen. The same can be applied tactically as you see fit - most will climb to gain advantage.
    If you want to incorporate the manoeuvres into the AI then what I tend to do is play them when a reversal comes up - I number the moves and randomly select what is being executed by dice roll - it can make for some rather exciting and unexpected moves on the AI's part !
    Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to trying this out when I get back home in two weeks.
    Been working my way through the Solo Game using the cards and just yesterday tried the Standard Rules for the first time. Was interesting to see flames at last (using ones I got on eBay)
    Was a long match that I didn't get to finish because I had to clear off the pool table before leaving town.

I really enjoyed this, quite the edge of the seat stuff.

Thumbs up

Thanks, Dave. This really looks interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to dig them up for me.
    I have used some overrides to the drawn card when it seems more realistic for the AI - usually selected from one of the alternate decks shown on the card.
    What I am not sure of is when to have the AI player break off an engagement and head home.
    I am also using a "house rule" when it comes to gun jams -in the case of close range only the first card drawn covers the gun jam, and, instead of always three phases the player with the jammed gun draws one card from an A deck - if he draws a 0 the gun is unjammed.

How long did those scenarios take you ? Do you document them as you go or do you record the moves and "replay" for the pictures ?

Wish I was home to try these ideas.

The small games can take anything from half to one hour, bigger games can take mu-uch longer depending on the fall of the cards.
    If you look into the Over The Trenches sub-forum you will see a lot of AAR of varying complexity, and styles. These can take as long to create as the games played, sometimes longer !
    If you check out the Early doors rules sticky thread you will find reasons for aircraft to break off - Level of damage, certain Wounds, Engine damage.
    Interesting idea on dealing with jams btw.

The small games can take anything from half to one hour, bigger games can take mu-uch longer depending on the fall of the cards.
    If you look into the Over The Trenches sub-forum you will see a lot of AAR of varying complexity, and styles. These can take as long to create as the games played, sometimes longer !
    If you check out the Early doors rules sticky thread you will find reasons for aircraft to break off - Level of damage, certain Wounds, Engine damage.
    Interesting idea on dealing with jams btw.
    You certainly know your way around this site!
    Thanks for the info - some interesting points on Morale, Wounds and Explosions.
    I have bookmarked the link for further detailed review on my RTB

Similar Missions

1. New: Hannover CL.III from Colinwe
    By Zoe Brain in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 16:56
  2. Hannover Air Museum
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 13:19
  3. Hannover CL.III
    By pbhawkin in forum Hobby Room